Objectivism Online Forum

Amazon's Kindle

Rate this topic

It appears legitimate versions of Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead are now available for the Kindle!!!!!!

I also just noticed this; Three Plays. With the exception of The Night of January 16th, I don't believe I've seen the other works in print before.

Edited by RationalBiker

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also just noticed this; Three Plays. With the exception of The Night of January 16th, I don't believe I've seen the other works in print before.
"Ideal" and "Think Twice" were part of the anthology called "The Early Ayn Rand: A Selection from her Unpublished Works". If you've already read "Night of Jan 16th", then "The Early Ayn Rand" would be more value for money, since it has those two other plays, plus some other fun short stories. (Aside: Wow, that book has only a single Amazon review! Come on Objectivist reviewers, get with the program B) ) Edited by softwareNerd

RB, I could have sworn you made a another thread here telling about how Rand's works are now available as Kindle Editions before... could be wrong, someone here started a thread not too long ago. TOS is available too. Smith's Normative Ethics of Ayn Rand is too, because I bought it before and heavily highlighted it! :D Can't imagine fucking reading in a real book form and handwriting everything out! Man does that take forever.

"Ideal" and "Think Twice" were part of the anthology called "The Early Ayn Rand: A Selection from her Unpublished Works". If you've already read "Night of Jan 16th", then "The Early Ayn Rand" would be more value for money, since it has those two other plays, plus some other fun short stories. (Aside: Wow, that book has only a single Amazon review! Come on Objectivist reviewers, get with the program :) )

I still want to purchase that! Keep forgetting! I love The Early Ayn Rand. I'm grateful of Peikoff's choice to publish them for us. But what softwareNerd says, is the way to go.

RB, I could have sworn you made a another thread here telling about how Rand's works are now available as Kindle Editions before.

I did, but I specified that it was the non-fiction works. AS and TFH were just released.

Edited by RationalBiker

I did, but I specified that it was the non-fiction works. AS and TFH were just released.

I see. Didn't see the "nonfiction" area you posted it under. I hope that they didn't disable the text-to-speech on the works. I'll have to look sometime when I buy The Early Ayn Rand. I just bought Party of One: The Loners' Manifesto :)

• 7 months later...

If anyone here has ever been on the fence about getting a Kindle due to the price, Amazon has a third generation coming out considerably cheaper than the original Kindle. The 3G version will be 189 and the wifi only version will be 139. I can see that Bezos is aggressively distinguishing the Kindle from the iPad now in pricing. The third generation appears to have a number of improvements of the last two.

• 7 months later...

I just picked up the wi-fi only version of the 3rd generation. It is definately nicer than trying to read off the screen of a palm pilot.

While it handles pdf files, Newton's tome has a pronounced delay in loading to the screen. Rotating the screen allows the print to be read without having to try scrolling around on the page to see it.

Just need to figure out how to sync websites for viewing now (if it can even be done).

I bought the Wifi+3G Kindle a month ago and I must say I absolutely love being able to carry around a library in such a portable device. Being able to buy books instantly, from almost anywhere, is incredible and possibly a bit dangerous to my credit card balance! I am currently reading John David Lewis' "Nothing Less Than Victory." I may have bought my last printed book....