Objectivism Online Forum

What Can Women Do Better Than Men?

Rate this topic

Besides give birth. To me it seems that women's only purpose to men is sex and to give birth. Men are better physically and everything that I can think of. Also don't give me that women are better caregivers bullsh*t. If my mom was working and my dad was at home all day I'm sure he would be a heck of a better caregiver than my mom.

What are the Metaphysical limitations that men have, that women do not have?

Edited by dadmonson

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides give birth. To me it seems that women's only purpose to men is sex and to give birth. Men are better physically and everything that I can think of. Also don't give me that women are better caregivers bullsh*t. If my mom was working and my dad was at home all day I'm sure he would be a heck of a better caregiver than my mom.

How exactly does being physically stronger equate to being physically better? Maybe I missed the redefinition of man as the "strong animal", instead of the "rational animal". But I do not see how your physical strength makes any sort of impact on what you can do in your life, in any relevant sense.

Also, please explain in what other ways men are better. Your current statement is really vague, and as such it's hard to respond to it in a meaningful way.

The ability to have as many orgasms as they like?

Edited by Maarten

I don't know of many metaphysical limitations on men or women, considered collectively. We do have some sex-specific nouns in English: lactation, menstruation, ejaculation, erection. Otherwise, the metaphysical limitations that I'm aware of are not applicable to the collective, just the individual.

Women are better than men at attracting men. Heterosexual men, I mean. ;)

But, really, think about Ayn Rand, she'll smoke you intellectually.

How exactly does being physically stronger equate to being physically better? Maybe I missed the redefinition of man as the "strong animal", instead of the "rational animal". But I do not see how your physical strength makes any sort of impact on what you can do in your life, in any relevant sense.

Also, please explain in what other ways men are better. Your current statement is really vague, and as such it's hard to respond to it in a meaningful way.

The ability to have as many orgasms as they like?

I can't think at this time. I should of made this thread when I was more clear headed. I don't really know.

Males and Females have different metaphysical traits, I'm sure. What they are I can't really tell you because I'm not really well informed in the area.

I know this though, I wouldn't want to be a woman and I like being a man.

I don't know if I'm going against objectivist views because I'm new.

Interesting, because I wouldn't want to be a man.

"I don't know how you guys walk around with those things." -Elaine, Seinfeld

Edited by K-Mac

I can't think at this time. I should of made this thread when I was more clear headed. I don't really know.

Males and Females have different metaphysical traits, I'm sure. What they are I can't really tell you because I'm not really well informed in the area.

I don't know if I'm going against objectivist views because I'm new.

I'm sorry, but how can you make statements like the ones you made when you obviously have no basis for them? What you offered is about as substantial as the standard religious argument of: "I have no evidence for X, but the bible/God/my preacher says it's like this and therefore it must be."

I'm sorry, but how can you make statements like the ones you made when you obviously have no basis for them? What you offered is about as substantial as the standard religious argument of: "I have no evidence for X, but the bible/God/my preacher says it's like this and therefore it must be."

I mean, why would you want a relationship with the opposite sex then? Other than for sex. Social Conditioning?

I mean, why would you want a relationship with the opposite sex then? Other than for sex. Social Conditioning?

Hmm, maybe because you think this person is absolutely amazing in every way that matters to you, and you want to be with them romantically? I guess we could argue that every guy should date guys, because they're obviously superior and it would be destructive towards human flourishing to go with the lesser alternative. But then, I do not think you can attach oughts to romantic attraction; you are attracted to someone because they represent many things you value (subconsciously or not). If that person happens to be a woman, great. If they're not, also great.

I think the question of why you should want to be with a woman is misguided; it's primarily about finding someone you can love and admire deeply, and to whom you're very much attracted. If that's all the case, who cares about whether or not the average woman or man is better? You're not in a relationship with the average person, I hope...

How are you sure of something about which you admit you are not well-informed?

As others have already attested, there are women who wouldn't want to be men either. Personally I think it is pretty much a good thing when a person is satisfied with their gender. What that has to do with the topic at hand is another matter.

Here's a hint though, if you get to the point where you are thinking about asking a girl out (or maybe for marriage), you might want to reconsider their "utility" to men goes beyond sex and babies. If you can't appreciate her for more than that, you may be in for a long, lonely life. Either that or just stick to prostitutes.

Perhaps therein lies the answer, consider men and women beyond simply utility.

Also don't give me that women are better caregivers bullsh*t. If my mom was working and my dad was at home all day I'm sure he would be a heck of a better caregiver than my mom.

Well, your sampling is rather small there. If someone did make the claim that women were better caretakers, I think they would concede that the statement is not true 100% of the time. It would probably be more of a generality.

Nevertheless, I have to ask; if your mom is that bad at taking care of you, and your father would be so much better, why is he allowing her to take care of you? Or is it possible given the entire context of the situation that they are BOTH doing what is best in taking care of you as a couple (but in different ways)?

But then, I do not think you can attach oughts to romantic attraction; you are attracted to someone because they represent many things you value (subconsciously or not).

But that is an "ought". If you are attracted to such a woman, and they are available and equally inclined towards you, hadn't you "ought" to pursue her? Or ought you pursue a different woman who does not fit that bill?

The "ought" is identifying reality and acting in accordance to that reality. That applies as much to romantic attraction as it does to anything else.

But that is an "ought". If you are attracted to such a woman, and they are available and equally inclined towards you, hadn't you "ought" to pursue her? Or ought you pursue a different woman who does not fit that bill?

The "ought" is identifying reality and acting in accordance to that reality. That applies as much to romantic attraction as it does to anything else.

I mean that in the context of: thinking that you should be attracted to someone when you're not. That doesn't make any sort of sense to me. At least, in the context of pursuing romantic relationships.

Edited by Maarten

Off the top of my head, women generally have more brain processing devoted to seeing colors(not movement), smelling and hearing then men making their senses more acute in those areas. For one advantage, these allows for greater linguistic understanding;especially with regard to nonverbal understanding and empathetic response.

They have 33% more interconnectivity in the corpus collosum which allow for much better communication between the left and right hemispheres. This causes more direct identification of their emotional states as well as an increased ability to navigate in 3 dimensions. Better inductive skills(worse deductive skills) because of the increased relational awareness this allows.

Additionally, their brains in a passive state are more active, then male brains in an active state(men are "designed" more for efficiency) This allows for better multitasking abilities.

They live longer on average.

Tend to be more flexible.

Are 75% less likely to suffer from substance abuse disorders.

Their faces are hairless and more childlike for longer, eliciting care-taking reactions from men, which provides them with many constant and oft overlooked social advantages.

And, they smell good.

Off the top of my head, women generally have more brain processing devoted to seeing colors(not movement), smelling and hearing then men making their senses more acute in those areas. For one advantage, these allows for greater linguistic understanding;especially with regard to nonverbal understanding and empathetic response.

So, it's actually scientifically proven that men cannot understand women.

I know some of you might want to object here and say that it goes both ways, but that's wrong. Women can understand men perfectly, they just choose not to.

However, all things considered one can't help but to love women. *sigh*

Wait, how did *that* follow from what he said?

these allows for greater linguistic understanding;especially with regard to nonverbal understanding

... which means that when a woman speaks half of the meaning gets lost if you miss the underlying hint. And, if the woman so chooses, everything you say can be misinterpreted in a million different ways. ;)

I'm actually only half-joking here. Women in general tend to focus much more on what is not being said, or the implications of the words, while men tend to ignore it. That could be due to womens better nonverbal understanding.

... which means that when a woman speaks half of the meaning gets lost if you miss the underlying hint. And, if the woman so chooses, everything you say can be misinterpreted in a million different ways. ;)

I'm actually only half-joking here. Women in general tend to focus much more on what is not being said, or the implications of the words, while men tend to ignore it. That could be due to womens better nonverbal understanding.

Yeah, but just because they are better at it doesn't mean men cannot learn how to pick up nonverbal signs very effectively. It's just that most guys don't ever bother with that. But it's a seriously useful skill, and there are enough guys who can pick up body language very well, so I wouldn't say it's impossible. With effort, you can still be much, much better at it than most women are, even though it's unlikely for a man to reach the same level of mastery with this that a woman could.

Women are perfectly understandable, they're just different in some ways that makes it hard for you to understand them if you approach everything from your own context.

I think a lot of people attach way too much importance to these kinds of genetic predispositions; that alone makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy, because if men believe they can't do it they're unlikely to try and get better at it, and the same holds true for those areas in which men are on average more talented. I mean, for pretty much all of these types of brain activity I can see very valuable applications, so why not choose to learn them to the best of your ability? I think that that will ultimately make your life much better than ignoring them because you may never be the best in that.

Ultimately, it's not about being the best in something; it's about whether or not some ability or skill you can nourish and improve furthers your life. Especially for these communicational abilities, being more proficient at those is something that makes interacting with other people infinitely more interesting. Why would you not want that as a man?

I think a lot of people attach way too much importance to these kinds of genetic predispositions; that alone makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy, because if men believe they can't do it they're unlikely to try and get better at it,

I agree with you. Predispositions determine capacity and tendency. In the same way, being short does not mean you can't play basketball well. It does mean that it may be necessary to alter your strategy(shoot well from the 3 point line for example) and probably that the NBA is longer shot then usual.

Also people tend to drift toward the things they do well. I don't think it is as often the case that people consciously choose not to do something because of predisposition. It in connection with reality will just guide them in the directions of there strengths since playing to them usually makes things turn out better.

I agree with you. Predispositions determine capacity and tendency. In the same way, being short does not mean you can't play basketball well. It does mean that it may be necessary to alter your strategy(shoot well from the 3 point line for example) and probably that the NBA is longer shot then usual.

Also people tend to drift toward the things they do well. I don't think it is as often the case that people consciously choose not to do something because of predisposition. It in connection with reality will just guide them in the directions of there strengths since playing to them usually makes things turn out better.

But on the other hand, if you're weaker than average at something that could very well end up hurting you; I think it's very important to minimize the impact such things have on your life, and one great way to do that is by becoming better at those weaknesses you consider to be important. I think being more aware of various ways people communicate is definitely really useful; more perceptual level information is always good, because it allows you to better judge people for what they're truly worth, and it can end up saving you a lot of pain, or help you recognize someone who really is amazing that much better.