Objectivism Online Forum

President Romney?

Rate this topic

Yup. On a positive note, though, this is a very good opportunity to advertise Objectivism to those patriotic, pro-capitalist Americans who were hoping to see their ideals implemented by Republicans. There will be some serious soul-searching going on among conservatives in the next four years, and perhaps if we help them, a few of them will actually find something. :D

No, it's not going to work. Objectivism promotes atheism and atheism is evil and for liberal tree hugging hippies and commies, so Objectivism=Communism.

Thompson and Romney were tolerable?

Compared to Mccain and Huckabee?

Yup. On a positive note, though, this is a very good opportunity to advertise Objectivism to those patriotic, pro-capitalist Americans who were hoping to see their ideals implemented by Republicans. There will be some serious soul-searching going on among conservatives in the next four years, and perhaps if we help them, a few of them will actually find something. :D

Thats a good point, perhaps now would be a very good opportunity to try and appeal to the Fiscal Conservatives, and Pro-choice Republicans out there that are just flat out fed up with the system. From the way many conservatives feel about McCain, allot of them would probably feel less guilty about adopting a new philosphy. One that actually makes sense this time.

I wouldn't be so quick with the obits for Mitt. He "suspended" his campaign, which implies that it may or may not restart at some later time.

After what happened in WV (McCain gave up his 12% of the votes in order to give Huck the win over Romney), Romney may (rightfully) believe that the Republican party machine is kicking in to shut him out of the nomination. There are one of two reasons for his dropping out: first, he has made a deal for a cabinet post (or, less likely, VP); or second, he is opting out of the party process, and will re-enter as a third party candidate if no one else emerges.

This may seem like a Republican spoiler scenario, but I think the case could be made that McCain could be a Democrat spoiler if Obama is nominated. Obama sounds "okay" to those in a conceptual vacuum, but when it comes time for him to state exactly what he is for, you might find a lot of Dems decide to go for a seasoned McCain. Romney's business background and more consistent conservative background could put him in a position to squeeze both McCain and Obama to the left and take a plurality in the general.

I know this is unlikely, but to be honest with you, if it's Obama v. McCain, my interest in participating in the political process will be just about nil.

Edited by agrippa1

I know this is unlikely

You know correctly. ;) Romney must be saving his money for 2012.

but to be honest with you, if it's Obama v. McCain, my interest in participating in the political process will be just about nil.

You can always vote third party. Perhaps if they burn themselves for the third time within two decades, it might begin to dawn on the GOP that if they keep nominating losers, they might soon become a third party!