Objectivism Online Forum

Tower Of Babel

Rate this topic

As many of you know, who haunt this place, I am relatively new to it. I find the format annoying, in that one is never addressing a single point or individual, but rather the herd. This is the way on-line chats work and I avoid them. De gustibus non disputandem est.

I think the format is a mistake primarily because quotes are too often taken out of the context in which they were written. It is not necessarily malicious, it is nearly impossible here to determine the origin of an argument or to establish its contextual framework.

I believe context is crucial, so I plan to limit future postings.

One last thing, please spare me the sopho-moronic remarks like 'Don't let the door hit you on the way out' that have attended other exits.

I think the format is a mistake primarily because quotes are too often taken out of the context in which they were written...

As many of you know...I am... annoying...

the herd... is on-line and I beleive context is..the... future.

One last thing, please spare me the sopho-moronic remarks like 'Don't let the door hit you on the way out' that have attended other exits.

i will hold my breath until you start posting more. :rolleyes:

I am truly just joking. I thought it would be funny to take your quote out of context, when you said thats what annoys you, and to leave a lame remark about your departure. I couldnt pass up this opportunity for irony/dark comedy.

I dont want you to post less. I hope that you realize this format is all we have. And I think it works fine for the purpose it serves. I enjoy many of your posts. I hope you reconsider. :)

I think the format is a mistake primarily because quotes are too often taken out of the context in which they were written.  It is not necessarily malicious, it is nearly impossible here to determine the origin of an argument or to establish its contextual framework.

Why is it impossible to establish the context of an argument or determine its origin given the format of this board? All of the prior posts are still there, for anyone to refer back to if they wish. What kind of format would you prefer? Do you have any constructive criticism to offer?

I have to admit, I enjoyed Nimble's clever rewrite of my post, more than Ashram's grumpy response.

Ashy, I suggest clearly what the remedy should be, but I will spell it out for you. On this site we can't address each other directly. The thread is constantly interrupted by tangential ideas which take the topic off in 6 directions at once.

It either of you would like to experience what I think is a primo setup, albeit on a dubious site, check out LibertyForum.com. Each reply is directed, and although there are interruptions from others, you can keep on topic by ignoring them, or if they are on topic do a 3 or 4 way. It also has a feature called self search which gives one, at a glance, all posts by him or to him, useful in answering quickly just those posts addressed to you. It is an anarcho-capitalist haunt, however, so hold on to your hats.

I have to admit, I enjoyed Nimble's clever rewrite of my post, more than Ashram's grumpy response.

Ashy, I suggest clearly what the remedy should be, but I will spell it out for you.  On this site we can't address each other directly.    The thread is constantly interrupted by tangential ideas which take the topic off in 6 directions at once.

It either of you would like to experience what I think is a primo setup, albeit on a dubious site,  check out LibertyForum.com.  Each reply is directed, and although there are interruptions from others, you can keep on topic by ignoring them, or if they are on topic do a 3 or 4 way.  It also has a feature called self search which gives one, at a glance, all posts by him or to him, useful in answering quickly just those posts addressed to you. It is an anarcho-capitalist haunt, however, so hold on to your hats.

so there is not so much liberty in the liberty forums? I love the irony...now i must go there.

It either of you would like to experience what I think is a primo setup, albeit on a dubious site,  check out LibertyForum.com.

The only feature of LibertyForum that this forum lacks is threaded view - something coming to this site in an upcoming upgrade. Everything else you mention is possible with existing features.

Ashy, I suggest clearly what the remedy should be, but I will spell it out for you.  On this site we can't address each other directly.    The thread is constantly interrupted by tangential ideas which take the topic off in 6 directions at once.

My response wasn't meant to be "grumpy." I was just asking for clarification (and hopefully suggestions for solutions).

I understand what you're saying now. I don't think that's too much of a problem (for the reasons I already mentioned), but I will be interested to see the upcoming upgrade that David mentions.

I look forward to the improvement as well. Thank you for your responses, and I am sorry Ash that I mischaracterized your response. Misinderstandings of that sort are virtually impossible to avoid on the internet.

David, I am curious about one thing you said about available features. Is there a feature I have over looked which will bring up a page with links to posts by me and addressed only to me? I don't see how this would be possible, as we are not yet threading to individuals?

I look forward to the improvement as well.  Thank you for your responses, and I am sorry Ash that I mischaracterized your response.  Misinderstandings of that sort are virtually impossible to avoid on the internet.

Yes, it happens. Don't worry about it.

If you click on a member's name, a page will come up that lets you look at all their posts.

What's the easiest way to capture and save all my own postings?

Right now I have written over 500 posts, but when I do as you suggest, I only get ten at a time and I'd have to save and/or e-mail over fifty separate pages to myself that way.

David, I am curious about one thing you said about available features.  Is there a feature I have over looked which will bring up a page with links to posts by me and addressed only to me?  I don't see how this would be possible, as we are not yet threading to individuals?

Sorry, you're right, that is not possible.

I will install the new forum as soon as I get my new computer and can make a proper backup of this one. You can check out the features here.

Right now I have written over 500 posts, but when I do as you suggest, I only get ten at a time and I'd have to save and/or e-mail over fifty separate pages to myself that way.

I am not aware of a way to do this right now. If you, (or anyone else) wants the full archive, send me an email and I will export to a CSV file when I get my computer.