Objectivism Online Forum

College - Please tell me it gets better

Rate this topic

Disclaimer out front: I currently work for DeVry and got my MBA through Keller Graduate School of Management on-line. Of course, my post reflects my own experience and in no way represents views or opinions of my employer.

Since the original poster is pursuing an MBA ultimately, have you thought about getting a degree on-line?

When I read your post, I immediately thought of my on-line experience. Students interact through discussion forums so there's not a lot of touchy-feely stuff. The courses for my degree were very focused. Undergraduates do have to take some general courses, but it's typically things like English and math (which you can test out of) rather than HateWhiteBusinessMen101. You already have the discipline needed to take on-line courses so it might be a good fit.

Here's something that I thought you all might like:

So I'm still trudging my way through. I am taking a course from the Philosophy Department called Social and Political Philosophy, which basically covers various political theories throughout history and their corresponding thinkers, i.e. Utilitarianism, Liberalism, Marxism, Libertarianism, etc.

From the syllabus I received on the first day: "It is an assumption of the course that altruism can be justified..."

Was it just a bald assertion, or did it say anything else about this assumption?

If the diploma is valuable to you for better job opportunities, and it often is, here's a couple of options that will take you out of the classroom.

You might be able to CLEP some classes. Without stopping to look it up, I think it means College Level Examination Program. It amounts to taking a final exam without taking the course and if you pass you get credit for the course. The number of courses you can CLEP is limited but it's a help.

Community college courses are generally slanted toward working adults. They are often compressed and involve a lot more self-study and less classroom time. Universities will accept a certain number of community college credits which reduces your classroom time in the BS classes.

Some profs have a very liberal class attendance policy. If you show up for the exams and pass them, they don't care if you attend class or not. You can check around and find out if you can sign up for classes under one of these. You might still end up having to give the BS answers on the exams, but a couple of beers afterwards helps wash the taste out of your mouth. :D