Objectivism Online Forum

Buy my beat-up van!

Rate this topic

Groovenstein

Greetings, my Objectivism Online friends and neighbors! I am selling my beat-up van. I'm asking for $1200, but I'll listen to an offer less than that so long as it's reasonable. Here's the skinny.

1995 Ford Windstar LX. 127584 miles. 3.8L V6 engine with a 4 speed automatic o/d transmission. Features include A/C, cruise control, power locks, bucket seats, driver and passenger airbags, ABS, cassette radio. Has defects as I explain below.

I'm asking $1200. I ran a Blue Book report which lists prices at $2715 for excellent condition, $2365 for good, $1950 for fair. It describes "fair" condition as follows:

"Some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. Clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. Tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage."

The van has cosmetic defects. There is a large dent in the sliding door. The rear bumper has two spots that have been damaged. The windshield is cracked towards the bottom of it. There are other dings and scratches.

The van has mechanical defects. The left rear turn signal is broken. The front windows are power and they do not work. The front hood does not latch correctly. It keeps itself latched but allows a little bit of air to get underneath it, so as an extra security measure I hold it down with a bungee cord (the duct tape of cords). There is no glass on the side view mirrors. The rubber lining for the sliding door needs glued up.

It has 3 tires and a donut. One of the tires was just repaired. The transmission was replaced about 5 years ago. And I put in a new battery about a month ago.

I have the title and it's clean. I got it from my folks in 2002, and they had it for a few years before that.

The "fair" condition allows for defects and servicing, and says that tires may need to be replaced. The van has defects and needs servicing and its tires may need to be replaced (particularly the donut). I'm asking over 1/3 less than the "fair" condition value. For a vehicle that still runs, I think the asking price is, well, fair.

Kelley Blue Book says about the private party value: "The Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold 'As Is' and carries no warranty (other than the continuing factory warranty)." I'm selling the vehicle as is and with no warranty. I have listed everything I am aware of about its condition.

I'm selling it because my folks hooked me up with their old Honda Civic, so I have no need for the van anymore. And some extra cash is always nice.

The registration is no longer valid so you can still test that it runs, but if you want to test drive it you'll have to do laps around my apartment's little lot. :)

Hit me up via e-mail at [email protected] if you're interested, want to check it out, etc. If you're thinking about it, just ask! We can talk about working something out.