Objectivism Online Forum

Who is Jamie Clay?

Rate this topic

Jamie Clay, according to IMDB, is playing John Galt in the upcoming movie of Atlas Shrugged. He is a member of the SOLO Objectivist forum, where he says:

I was raised on Nathaniel Branden’s lectures and consider myself first generation born to Objectivist thinking, at least knowingly.

He is going to be 53 on June 4th, according to his IMDB profile. Having worked primarily in visual and special effects, it appears that John Galt will be his first major acting role in a movie.

More information about him can be found here.

Edited by IntolerantMan

I noticed that too. I think it must be a mistake. They are not gonna cast a nobody in that role. And the photo of that guy appears to make him out to be a middle aged, unattractive man on the chunk side who could never under any circumstances portray who John Galt is physically supposed ot be.

I noticed that too. I think it must be a mistake. They are not gonna cast a nobody in that role.

According to executive producer John Aglialoro, they are going to cast a "nobody" (i.e., an unknown) in the role of John Galt. Read the latest interview.

Since my first post in this thread, Jamie Clay on IMDB has now split into Jamie Clay (I) and Jamie Clay (II), but so far I see no real evidence for the existence of a Jamie Clay (II), and I think it is curious that this split occurred shortly after my initial post on this forum. I did a little more research on Jamie Clay (I), and I discovered his Survivor Audition Video on Photobucket.com. (Now that I've linked to it, I wonder how long it will remain public. So you might want to watch it soon, before it gets taken down.)

I know the video is only an attempt to get on a reality show, but it is at least an indication that Mr. Clay (I) wants to do something more in the entertainment world than create visual effects for the movies. So, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that he has actually been cast as John Galt.

I noticed that too. I think it must be a mistake. They are not gonna cast a nobody in that role. And the photo of that guy appears to make him out to be a middle aged, unattractive man on the chunk side who could never under any circumstances portray who John Galt is physically supposed ot be.

Actually, they are going to cast a nobody in the role, according to a recent interview with one of the producers. I have a feeling that the film may be CGI given that he does not look the part and he is part of a CGI crew.

Over at the IMDB message board for Atlas Shrugged, someone with the screen name "anti0918" said he emailed Jamie Clay (I) about Clay's involvement with the movie, and Clay apparently replied: "I'm not at liberty to talk about it at this time. Sorry to be so coy."

Maybe the movie-version of John Galt will disguise himself in public to look like Jamie Clay, but in reality he will be some other, younger and more handsome actor. With Hollywood magic, the possibilities are plentiful.

Another thought, maybe Galt has a device that makes him appear to be someone else. It might even be related to his device that renders the Gulch invisible from the air.

Actually, they are going to cast a nobody in the role, according to a recent interview with one of the producers. I have a feeling that the film may be CGI given that he does not look the part and he is part of a CGI crew.

Luckily, that interview was published after my initial post. So therefore I am less wrong. lol

maybe Galt has a device that makes him appear to be someone else.

That's a very creative idea. I could actually believe that happening in the movie. Especially considering that after Galt delivers his speech, they begin to "hunt him down". Disgusing himself would thwart their efforts to find him.

Over at the IMDB message board for Atlas Shrugged, someone with the screen name "anti0918" said he emailed Jamie Clay (I) about Clay's involvement with the movie, and Clay apparently replied: "I'm not at liberty to talk about it at this time. Sorry to be so coy."

D:

that means he IS John Galt and I can't hold out hope for a young hottie

Based upon what Ive seen of him, I think I'd rather see Danny DeVito casted as John Galt.

I'm sure that could be arranged. Thanks for all the kind words of support.

There is an amusing story behind this, and perhaps if you're nice I'll explain it.

-JC

I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say that any information you can tell us would in fact be greatly appreciated!

I like IntolerantMan's idea of using a digital disguise (or some kind of stand-in). That would allow for the possibility of casting a well-known actor as Galt in secret without his identity being revealed too early in the movie. However, it would likely take a gargantuan effort to keep that actor's participation a secret, just due to the legion of people who dedicate their lives to following celebrities and such.

Oh and despite a few cranky people, most of us are nice!

KevinDW,

Could you actually consider that there is a motive behind this that isn't irrational? I understand condemning a play at attention when it's clear that is what's happening, but I'm tired of Objectivists that are too quick to judge before any facts are in.

Could you actually consider that there is a motive behind this that isn't irrational?

I did consider it, for about a quarter of a second, but then decided that it's irrational to play immature games such as:

perhaps if you're nice I'll explain it.

I did consider it, for about a quarter of a second, but then decided that it's irrational to play immature games

my thoughts exactly.

on a side note:

i don't think we were being mean (aka "not being nice")

we all have vested interest in the production of this film, and our opinions of a particular person's ability to portray a character we all love and cherish has nothing to do with "niceness" or not. how many of us have poo-poo'ed on the angelina jolie choice? i don't see how this is any different.

i stand by my word; from what it looks like, i do not like the casting of this clay guy as galt. i would have prefered a young, strapping chap with piercing eyes ... like Henry Caville

VM._SY140_SX100_.jpg vs. picture-633.jpg

you tell me

There does exist a Jamie Clay who's a CGI artist and has credits in Virtuosity, Conceiving Ada, Just Like Heaven, The Doomsday Rock, Rugrats Go Wild! not to mention Gojira tai Mekagojira. Actually, there could be many people with the same name, but that would be too bizarre. One theory is that he looks like this, or this. It is theorized that he wants to be an Oscar Mayer wiener, for reasons that are self evident, but in fact he was convicted of attempted murder in my own town. Me, I'm waiting to see if they actually start making a film.

I did get an advance copy of the edited version of Galt's speech.

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? So like, this is John Galt speaking. I am, ya know, the man who loves his life. All the men who have vanished, the men you hated, yet dreaded to lose, it is I who have taken them away from you. Do not attempt to find us. We are on strike. I have removed your means of survival-your victims. We, the men of the mind, are now on strike against you in the name of a single axiom, that existence exists. So my morality, the morality of reason, is contained in a single axiom: existence exists-and in a single choice: to live. And like, if you renounce all personal desire and dedicate your life to those you love, you do not achieve full virtue. I, who do not accept the unearned, neither in values nor in guilt, am here to ask the questions you evaded. Anyhow, there have always been men of intelligence who went on strike, in protest and despair, but they did not know the meaning of their action. LOL! Unless you learn the answers to these questions, you will not stay much longer on this earth. Uh, accept the fact that the achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life. Look past the range of the moment. ROTFLMAO! You will win when you are ready to pronounce the oath I have taken at the start of my battle, or whatever. Fo shizzle, I swear-by my life and my love of it-that I will never live for the sake of another person, in the gender-neutral sense, nor ask another human being (can't say 'man') to live for mine. Unless it supports the greater common good. Thank you ladies and gentlemen, you've been a wonderful audience. I owe everything to my fans. I am nothing without you.

Though that may be another bad rumor. Seriously, I'd be interested to hear Mr. Clay's story, whichever one he is.