Objectivism Online Forum

Philosophy: Who Needs It

Rate this topic

OldGrayBob

I recently contributed to ARI and got the CD, Philosophy: Who Needs It. This CD contains Ayn Rand's historic address given at West Point in March, 1997. I have never heard a recording of any of her talks before, so I did not know what to expect. I did not expect the accent and at first it kind of floored me. But in a few moments that passed and you are left with a warm, intelligent speaking to you. For me to hear her talk added a fullness to her philosophy that reading it will never give.

If you have not heard her address, I most highly suggest that you somehow find a copy and listen to it. It will be rewarding.

I’ve only read and never heard that speech, although I would absolutely love to. But I heard her on tape and there is such a feeling of intimacy after hearing her voice, that you will never let her go, even if by tragedy, you let go of her philosophy. Only once did I dream of her; she told me to go after my central purpose.

On video I only saw her on Mike Wallace and Phil Donahue. The Mike Wallace interview inspired a poem in me that I haven’t started yet. And the Phil Donahue videos I feel like I am before some archetypical sage. And her discussion about the loss of her husband will make me cry every time.

Americo.

I totally agree. I love listening to Ayn Rand. One thing the printed speeches don't give you, is the Q&A sessions. Faith and Force, and Apollo & Dionysus, have great Q&A's. Also, OPAR online has many Q&A sessions, where Ayn Rand fills in for Leonard Peikoff. The Q&A's are great for a different perspective of recent history, as well as listening to Ayn Rands excellent rapport with her audiences.