Objectivism Online Forum

More zaniness in the People's State of California

Rate this topic

This came in my e-mail, in which as a newspaper editor I am priviledged to receive my fair share of propaganda.

Where I get a boatload of sick time as part of my company being competitive about its compensation, this bill would nullify the value that my employer is giving me by voluntarily providing sick pay - something that makes my pay better than someone who make the same salary, but doesn't get sick pay.

---

PRESS ADVISORY

February 26, 2008

Anastasia Ordonez, California Labor Federation, (510) 663-4028

Nick Hardeman, Office of Assemblywoman Fiona Ma, (916) 319-2012

Ronald Coleman, ACORN, (916) 475-7156

Press Conference Tomorrow to Announce

California Paid Sick Days Bill

WHAT: The announcement of a landmark bill that could make California the first state in the nation to guarantee paid sick days for all workers.

WHEN: February 27th, 2008 at 10:30 a.m.

WHERE: San Francisco City Hall, Polk St. between McAllister and Grove in San Francisco

WHO: Featured speakers will include

Assemblywoman Fiona Ma (D- San Francisco), sponsor of AB 2716, the paid sick days bill

Kathleen Martinez, a single mother of three with two part-time food service jobs and no paid sick days. Several other workers will also share their personal stories about how they would benefit from this legislation

Art Pulaski, executive secretary-treasurer of the California Labor Federation, a co-sponsor of the bill

Dr. Mitchell Katz, MD, director of health with the San Francisco Department of Public Health

Martha Kuhl, RN, a registered nurse

WHY: Six million Californians - 40 percent of all workers in the state - do not get any paid sick days through their employer. Going to work sick creates an unhealthy work place and puts co-workers and customers at risk, but many workers have no choice. Nearly 90 percent of employers report employees coming to work with contagious illnesses. This bill, AB 2716, would allow workers to earn paid sick days that can be used to care for themselves, a sick family member, or to recover from domestic violence or sexual assault. This legislation puts California at the forefront of a national trend, as several other states, including Maine, Ohio, Massachusetts and Washington, DC are considering similar measures. For more information, visit www.paidsickdaysCA.org <http://www.paidsickdaysca.org/> .

California Labor Federation • Office of Assemblywoman Fiona Ma • California ACORN • Labor Project for Working Families • Young Workers United • 9to5, National Association of Working Women- Los Angeles and Bay Area Chapters • California Nurses Association • Legal Aid Society- Employment Law Center • California Commission on the Status of Women • Parent Voices- California Child Care Resource & Referral Network • Family Caregiver Alliance/National Center on Caregiving

####