Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand on Johnny Carson

Rate this topic

dwwoelfel

• 8 months later...

I have the audio of all three appearances, including Florence Henderson's rendition of The Impossible Dream which just preceeded Ayn's first appearance. She made a fascinating comment about the song. The interviews are arresting! I am deliberating over what to do with the recordings which I have digitized. Comments welcome.

She was on Johnny Carson twice in the same year. First in August of 1967, then in October of 1967. Both transcripts appear in the book Objectively Speaking edited by Marlene Podritsky and Peter Schwartz. August show is Chapter 25. The October show is Chapter 26.

Both chapters can be read online at Google books. These have some pages omitted due to copyright. If you haven't already, just buy the book - it's a treasure trove.

Anthem2112

Edited by Anthem2112

I have the audio of all three appearances, including Florence Henderson's rendition of The Impossible Dream which just preceeded Ayn's first appearance. She made a fascinating comment about the song. The interviews are arresting! I am deliberating over what to do with the recordings which I have digitized. Comments welcome.

I would say that the biggest moral dilemma I've faced in a long time would be that I would want to purchase these from you desperately. However, since you have no right to sell them I can't. Congrats on owning them... I haven't experienced jealousy/envy in so many years that it was interesting.

and again.. wow.

I also desperately wish I could get ahold of those. You are a lucky son of a gun Galt is my best Friend. While he does not have the rights to sell them, I am curious if he were to contact ARI about his copies if they would be willing to put them up to the public. :confused:

Youtube please?

I also desperately wish I could get ahold of those. You are a lucky son of a gun Galt is my best Friend. While he does not have the rights to sell them, I am curious if he were to contact ARI about his copies if they would be willing to put them up to the public. :confused:

I would definitely contact ARI to find out what the copyright issues are. I'm sure they could find out the best way for you to get them out to the public.

I am deliberating over what to do with the recordings which I have digitized.

Oh man I didn't see that you digitized them. Yes definitely contact ARI. Even if you are not allowed to put these recording up on the internet yourself (due to potential copyright they might inform you of) I see no reason why they would not make them public if you gave them digitized copies and asked them explicitly if they would do so. I would just love to check these out. Transcripts are nice but they just don't do it, not when Rand's audio/video is fairly rare (ignoring the stuff in that one part of the registered section on the ARI website).

Well, if there's anyone to contact, it's Carson Entertainment Group. They own the licensing rights for all the Carson Tonight Shows.

The above is a link to a standard form request for a licensing agreement. Without it, anything you do with those clips will earn you a lawsuit (if it involves selling them. You could try writing an informal email to see what they say about posting some of the audio on youtube, but your chances for a positive answer are slim to none.

As for obtaining a license, it would probably have to be for a fully produced Ayn Rand documentary in which you're using the footage. Can't imagine they'd just sell you a license for the three clips. By the way, it is my understanding that anyone can apply for the license, they have the clips archived and are willing to provide them. I guess asking ARI if they're willing to help with such an endeavor would also be worth shot.

P.S. According to IMDB, recordings of Ayn Rand on the Tonight Show were destroyed in a fire. If that's true, having them might earn you a deal, in which they let you use them in exchange for adding them to their collection.

Edited by Jake_Ellison

• 1 year later...