Objectivism Online Forum

Capitalism in the UK

Rate this topic

Seanjos

I don't know anything about the Ron Paul campaign other than what he said about gold backed currency. I was quite honestly as excited as I was jelous that America had someone like this running.

However he won't win, nor come close. So if Americans, more likely to be aware of Capitalism have rejected it, what chance do we have of someone like this even running ?

Speaking as an American, I think it is a good thing that Ron Paul will not win as I believe his Libertarian politics will do more to harm the case for authentic capitalism than help it. For instance, take his stances on abortion or gay marriage. His position on these issues indicates that he has no grasp of individual rights and that upon which they are based. What good does economic freedom do if one is still forced into living by convictions which one may or may not accept as valid. Ron Paul (along with other Libertarians and many conservatives) only wants to allow you freedoms that do not clash with his personal convictions. In essence, this approach is pragmatic and unprincipled and thus is doomed to failure especially against more consistent pragmatists on both the right (McCain) and left (Obama and Clinton). Not only that, his incompatible mixture of Christian ideas with economic freedom will mean that he would lose against a candidate who holds Christian ideas with more consistency (Mike Huckabee).

Ron Paul cannot win not because he is good, but because he is not as consistent in his advocacy of the same ideals of his opponents. In any contest between two parties who share the same basic principle, the more consistent of the two will win.

If a candidate truly seeks a the creation of a capitalistic society, then he/she must give a full and moral defense of capitalism grounded in Objectivist philosophy. In order for such a defense to win in the U.S. (or the U.K.), the culture in the U.S. (or U.K.) will have to undergo a significant philosophical revolution which can only be achieved through advocacy, education, and art. Politics is the final and last step. It is not the starting point.

Adam

[edited 1st sentence of 2nd paragraph for clarity]

Edited by Pianoman83