Objectivism Online Forum

what is the most beautiful non-physical attribute?

Rate this topic

superj

I think honesty. Too many women, and people in general for that matter, are just dishonest. And I don't mean if you ask them what colour the sky is, they'll habitually answer, 'Yellow'. I mean, I appreciate the honest person, who speaks honestly to me and can deal with honest truths - someone who isn't afraid of reality really.

Furthering that idea, I guess I appreciate even more a woman who can then deal efficiently with problems and quandaries. As long as she has a genuinely good personality, and is honest, as above, then I really like the busy-body multi-tasking woman. Probably because I'm trying to drive myself to get things done, in spite of issues, so I admire a woman who effortlessly manages all manner of crazy at once.

I think honesty. Too many women, and people in general for that matter, are just dishonest. And I don't mean if you ask them what colour the sky is, they'll habitually answer, 'Yellow'. I mean, I appreciate the honest person, who speaks honestly to me and can deal with honest truths - someone who isn't afraid of reality really.

Furthering that idea, I guess I appreciate even more a woman who can then deal efficiently with problems and quandaries. As long as she has a genuinely good personality, and is honest, as above, then I really like the busy-body multi-tasking woman. Probably because I'm trying to drive myself to get things done, in spite of issues, so I admire a woman who effortlessly manages all manner of crazy at once.

yea i think so too.

I think I might go for practical, in the meaning that what they do is very strongly tied to reality and that they don't live their life chasing sky-castles. It's an aspect of rationality, to be sure, but I think as a further subdivision it's one of the best and most important parts of it. I just cannot stand people who are totally unconcerned with what actually is.

I think I might go for practical, in the meaning that what they do is very strongly tied to reality and that they don't live their life chasing sky-castles. It's an aspect of rationality, to be sure, but I think as a further subdivision it's one of the best and most important parts of it. I just cannot stand people who are totally unconcerned with what actually is.

If Ayn Rand was alive would she be your ideal lady? Would you try to pursue a romantic relationship with her?

If Ayn Rand was alive would she be your ideal lady? Would you try to pursue a romantic relationship with her?

No. I highly doubt it. I think that in a lot of ways she would be too similar to me, and I find that I am more attracted to girls who have a less abstract way of approaching things. I am very analytical myself, and that's not really something I value as much in a partner; that's kinda what I meant earlier, I think it can be really nice to be with someone who approaches that in a somewhat different way than I do, because it allows you to experience things in a multitude of ways. Obviously, they should still be rational, but there are a wide variety of approaches that are valid within that context, and I think some amount of difference there is a good thing. It also makes you better partners, I think, because both people are then more likely to excel in certain areas, instead of both being really good and kinda okay at the exact same things.

I find that I usually am attracted to people who study some form of the Liberal Arts, for example. Rather than hard science. And I think that is at least somewhat due to the type of people those studies attract, and that's kinda what I mean above.

For me a good sense of life and a good sense of humour are important.

Since no woman has responded yet, I'll chime in and second this post. :(

Honesty. Without a doubt. I have little patience for anyone, male or female, who leads me around in circles refusing to tell me what they think openly and honestly. A close second would be rationality and third would be intelligence.

Honesty. Without a doubt. I have little patience for anyone, male or female, who leads me around in circles refusing to tell me what they think openly and honestly. A close second would be rationality and third would be intelligence.
I like Maarten's replies.

Honesty, intelligence, and confidence are all qualities that I look for in both friends and possible romances. But if the question is what turns me on (is that a part of "most beautiful"?), which I also think is beautiful, it's aggressiveness and ease of character. It's a kind of relaxed, get-it-done approach to life.

Benevolent. In other other words, a woman should be kind-hearted and elegant. It is common a girl is sensitive and is intended to focus on some minor issues. However, a woman with a kind heart will be elegant that you will feel easy if you deal with her. For me, that's the most effective non-physical traits that attrats me.

• 8 months later...

For me the most beautiful attribute is definitely rationality. The moment anyone I know abandons logic and reason they lose a lot of value to me. I think I would want a girl who is in engineering like myself because of the required mindset for it.

Now there are other important components as well such as confidence, drive, and capacity of happiness but to me all these in a way stem from rationality.

• 3 weeks later...
Now there are other important components as well such as confidence, drive, and capacity of happiness but to me all these in a way stem from rationality.

While honesty and rationality and boobs and self-esteem and ambition and clarity and all the other objective virtues we come to know and love are pretty manditory, the thing that whets my whistle is courage.

We all have these virtues to some extent, some of the time, but how many of us stand up for what is right when it matters, do the right thing when nobody is looking, or when everyone is looking? How many people have the courage to be honest when needed, or silent when needed?

For that matter, who has the courage to be true to yourself when that means not living up to the expectations of others? Who has the courage to strip away the accumulation of past injustices and open yourself one more time to the possiblity of joy? Who has the courage to make yourself into the person you want to be?

That spark, that independence, that courage...is sexy.

<*>aj

Sense of life. To me, the critical characteristic of a partner is that she thinks highly of herself because she knows she can achieve her values in this world. I totally disagree with Maarten. I like a woman who sees thinks for what they are and should be, rather than just what they are. If her sense of life is right, all the other values and virtues named in the posts above will follow.

My wife is all of the above and more. (No, she's not an Objectivist.) :)

Edited by adrock3215

• 2 years later...

Generally, the most appealing people to me show a high degree of intelligence, that is, an interest in talking about ideas in a reasoned out way. Especially when demonstrated with a sense of curiosity.

A good sense of life. There are many non-physical attributes which I will not deal without in terms of romance, but I require positive philosophy in everyone I associate with beyond acquaintance-level.

I think this is an extremely broad answer. I presume you mean good sense of life as in positive, but that can be realized in many ways, enough ways that it isn't very informative of an answer.

Generally, the most appealing people to me show a high degree of intelligence, that is, an interest in talking about ideas in a reasoned out way. Especially when demonstrated with a sense of curiosity.

I think this is an extremely broad answer. I presume you mean good sense of life as in positive, but that can be realized in many ways, enough ways that it isn't very informative of an answer.

I disagree.

I went on to say 'positive philosophy', so of course I mean a positive sense of life, and that is self-explanatory.

The person has to show esteem, a love of being alive, an urge to make something of their self and to pursue happiness.

The reverse being: a pessimist. Someone who is always down, who plays the victim and seeks pity.

Edited by Summer

There are many non-physical attributes that attract a woman to me, several of which have already been mentioned. In no particular order:

• Sense of Humor - Love of Laughter
  • Ability to Dance
  • Confidence in her Sexuality
  • Feminine in her Response to Aggressiveness (tied to the above)
  • Good Natured / Kind
  • Loves Children and Animals
  • Aesthetic Sophistication (something I don't have)
  • Thinly Veiled, Compulsive Nymphomania

There are many more, but that's a good start.

--Dan Edge