Objectivism Online Forum

Libertarians finally getting the picture?

Rate this topic

I decided to make a post about this topic because I thought that it was worth adressing. The Libertarian party has a caucus called The Libertarian Reform Caucus which is a caucus that has generally decided to take a more incrementalist approch towards implementing their principals. According to their party platform, they agree to take a more interventionist foreign policy, however there are still issues with the caucus that are considerably undesirable but then again coming from an incrementalist point of view arn't quit so bad. I beleive that these reforms made to the party would be over all for the best rather than worst. Perhaps if these reforms are made, the Libertarian party won't be such a bad party to support after all.

http://reformthelp.org/platform/shortB/

Edited by Miles White

[The Libertarian Party agreed] to take a more interventionist foreign policy, ...

This still does not really say anything useful. Interventionism is a bad concept. It includes foreign policy that are not of rational self-interest, such as getting involved in pointless wars like Vietnam. Interventionism also includes foreign policy that is of rational self-interest, such as launching tactical air strikes against a hostile nation that is aggressively pursuing uranium enrichment technology. Thus, to say that one is adopting a more interventionist foreign policy does not tell me if they will do more of the former, which is bad, or more of the latter, which can be good.

I decided to make a post about this topic because I thought that it was worth adressing. The Libertarian party has a caucus called The Libertarian Reform Caucus which is a caucus that has generally decided to take a more incrementalist approch towards implementing their principals. According to their party platform, they agree to take a more interventionist foreign policy, however there are still issues with the caucus that are considerably undesirable but then again coming from an incrementalist point of view arn't quit so bad. I beleive that these reforms made to the party would be over all for the best rather than worst. Perhaps if these reforms are made, the Libertarian party won't be such a bad party to support after all.

I don't see how some of the reforms suggested for the Libertarian Party's platform improve that document. These suggestions in and of themselves are not necessarily about limiting the scope of government or expanding individual liberty.

4. Make healthcare more efficient, flexible, and affordable.

5. Adopt effective and balanced environmental protections.

Finally, why is an "incrementalist approach" preferable to a radical approach? After all, Republicans since the time of Reagan and Gingrich have taken an incrementalist approach to cutting back government and have only succeeded in making it bigger.

Remember what the abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison said, "Gradualism in theory is perpetuity in practice."