Objectivism Online Forum

$5 Get a Splash of Color!

Rate this topic

athena glaukopis

It's not that bad. Sure, the BIG 5 in the reverse is so big it looks tacky, but otherwise it's a perfectly sober US bill.

And Honest Abe's pink "aura"?

Athena, love the monopoly money! ;)

And Honest Abe's pink "aura"?

Have you seen Mexico's 50 Peso pink plastic bill? It has a transparent window (I kid you not), a color-shifting butterfly (well, only half is color-shifting) and a color-shifting silkworm. It's considered the second most difficult bill to counterfeit in all the world.

I've actually always preferred coloured money. I see nothing "Monopoly" about the Canadian, German or any of the other multitudes of coloured currency.

An overabundance of Zeros on the other hand, while not Monopoly, certainly lends a banana flavour. :lol:

I've actually always preferred coloured money. I see nothing "Monopoly" about the Canadian, German or any of the other multitudes of coloured currency.

I've a little (tiny, really) numismatic collection. Obviously I value rare bills and coins, but aside from that I preffer a dignified, sober design like the US Dollar and the old, old Peso. I also prefer all bills be one size regardless of nominal value. Newer bills are more interesting because of the safety features, sometimes I try to find the unpublicized ones (I've found a few obvious ones), but they are gaudy and, in many ways, tacky.

Not by any means "Monopoly Money," though. For one thing play money is much less elaborate and plainer. The paper is cheap, too.

I put the monopoly money in reference to the actual "worth" of the dollar, not aesthetic comparisons.
Even still, it's kind of funny as an aesthetic comparison. :lol:

I haven't given much consideration to the aesthetic values of world currencies, past and present (and future). My interest is piqued.

I think the Canadian money is a mess. But I like the Jefferson coin; I'd do something similar with just a number "5". The present design, however, is not good:

150px-2006_Nickel_Proof_Obv.png

I put the monopoly money in reference to the actual "worth" of the dollar, not aesthetic comparisons.

The worth of paper currency is very much independent of its color.

Fiat money considerations aside, take the time to look closely at US notes. They're maybe the last redoubt of representational art and patriotism.

Last time I checked some of that colourful monopoly money was worth more than the greenback. ;)

1 CAD = 1.01217 USD :P

• 1 year later...

I've seen much, much worse. Including our older currency, which is a holdover from the late 1800s/early 1900s stylistically.

Of course, these look distinctly like foreign "monopoly money" (as I have heard a lot of people call it) to my eyes, and a lot of Americans would have trouble with it for that reason.

I suspect a design like this that got adopted would have colored backgrounds (much as have been given to our paper recently) and there would be some security gimmicks like parts of numerals on one side of the note that line up with other parts on the other side, and you have to hold them up to the light to see the whole numeral (and if they don't line up you reject the bill as a poorly produced counterfeit).

A graphic designer friend of mine from NJ, as a part of his portfolio, redesigned US currency. I think he did a good job. Do you like it?

usfifty.jpg

ushundred.jpg

Ha! I like the Working man in the picture... obviously.