Objectivism Online Forum

LOL internet!

Rate this topic

I will make this short and sweet. It has come to my attention that the majority of the people I deal with off this forum are a bunch of nihilists. That is, they commonly substitute biting sarcasm for observation, pithy meta-memes for wit, and mindgaming for logic. From what I have read both here and in Ayn Rand's books is that they are a bunch of Tooheyites.

This kind of anti-cognition is taking over the internet in broad sweeps, namely because one does not have to be accountable for the irrationality in their actions if they happen to be shielded from the consequences thereof and this appeals to the new generation for some reason.

What's the best way to keep me and my close friends from falling victim to this kind of intellectual corruption?

This kind of anti-cognition is taking over the internet in broad sweeps, namely because one does not have to be accountable for the irrationality in their actions if they happen to be shielded from the consequences thereof and this appeals to the new generation for some reason.

Can you give some examples of specifically how the internet is succumbing to this?

What's the best way to keep me and my close friends from falling victim to this kind of intellectual corruption?

It's not like heroin. You cannot become addicted without you allowing it to.

Learn how to think for yourselves. Develop independent judgement and a sense of self-esteem. Never concede it. Associate with those people with whom you derive some value. The only person you can keep from this happening to you is yourself. Everyone is self-made.

Edited by KendallJ

Learn how to think for yourselves. Develop independent judgement and a sense of self-esteem. Never concede it. Associate with those people with whom you derive some value. The only person you can keep from this happening to you is yourself. Everyone is self-made.
Running with this, if you are interested in helping others recover from the "bad behavior" you are observing, it is their own judgement that you will have to appeal to. Nobody responds to emotional pleas contrary to their views, but once up against a wall of solid reason, some people will concede on some level that they are wrong, and look for answers. There are good ways and there are better ways to do this, and like anything, it is a skill for you to develop. It is what intellectual activism is all about!

As for the internet being worse than "real" life, I think it is just louder. People have the ideas they have, but in everyday interactions with others they are less likely to get fired up, be rude, or express their more ridiculous ideas face-to-face.

Did you come to this conclusion by talking to everyone in chat?
I guess clarification is in order, then, because I read it like you at first, too, Mammon. Kendall read "off this forum" to mean "away from this forum, on the internet elsewhere."

What did you mean, Turing?

I guess clarification is in order, then, because I read it like you at first, too, Mammon. Kendall read "off this forum" to mean "away from this forum, on the internet elsewhere."

What did you mean, Turing?

I meant people who are not going to this forum. I can't imagine that the things I said would apply to anyone here. :P

I think it is true that the Internet generally differs in lack of consequences versus offline, and what this enables is a certain type of person to vastly magnify their influence. Some may be nihilists, others may be mentally ill, others just plain evil. Regardless, these are the toxic people who in my experience tend to amplify their voices online. As a result, it appears as though the Internet is filled with these people, but of course they are just the same people who exist in the real world. The Internet gives them a unique outlet where they can spread their misery, often unfettered by any moderation or restraint.

I think it is true that the Internet generally differs in lack of consequences versus offline....

I agree with this, but I think it is a double-edged sword. The consequences go both ways. One has fewer negative consequences of bad behavior, but one also has less influence with their behavior. Yes, everyone can have a blog, and as well, fewer people read most blogs than say your average letter to the editor.

I agree with this, but I think it is a double-edged sword. The consequences go both ways. One has fewer negative consequences of bad behavior, but one also has less influence with their behavior. Yes, everyone can have a blog, and as well, fewer people read most blogs than say your average letter to the editor.

True. On the other hand, the genuine troublemaker soon realizes that no one is reading his blog and shifts his efforts to more fruitful territory, posting on various moderated and unmoderated messageboards (sometimes under multiple names to enhance his influence even more). On moderated boards, a skilled troll will modulate his malicious behavior so as to have the desired negative impact while evading the ultimate consequence of banishment. On unmoderated boards it's even worse. Sure you can avoid the boards, but that solution isn't always practical or desirable.

I owe you an apology. I misread your coments and thought you were talking about people on this board.

I agree with you as far as this trend goes, that it's persistent and out there. I have don't know all the answers as too why, but it's bad in large Internet communities like 4chan and WoW. People who play WoW seem to display this type of "being a retarded asshole qua being a retarded asshole" behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

You assume everyone also acts that way in real life. That's simply not true, I've never heard a single meme uttered in real life (although someone drew the LOL WUT pear on a bathroom stall :P). You shouldn't draw the conclusion that they're all nihilists, some people just like to have fun by being a little childish and the internet is the perfect place to do that without damaging your credibility. It's a temporary escape from the hardships of life to a place where nobody can hurt you and most everyone just wants to goof around. Of course there are those who never "snap out of it" and live in front of the PC but hey, you get that with any form of entertainment.