Objectivism Online Forum

Short Hair is Sexy!

Rate this topic

I've always been attracted to short hair, particularly in females to a great extent. I saw some of the members on this site and noticed two women with short hair out of viewing a total of about five. Am I just being silly or does anyone else feel the same way? I would be interested in hearing thoughts on this and curious to know if anyone were to be able to hypothesize a link between attraction to short hair females, or perhaps even males -as concerned with eroticism-, and it's possible relation to masochism.

Something in the subconscious perhaps? Denotes some feeling of ability -e.g. long hair get's in the way of activities does it not? Or perhaps just a subjective tendency based on my own preference for short hair?

This may be silly but I've wondered of this question for quite a while now and would hope to get at least a few responses.

Thanks,

Derek

I am a woman with short hair and I keep it short for a few reasons:

1) It's easier to take care of (less shampoo/conditioner to buy, less brushing time, less "fussing")

2) It does not get in the way (as you had mentioned) also: IT DOESN'T LEAVE GROSS LONG SHED HAIRS EVERYWHERE (YUCK!)

3) Because most men do not like women with short hair, you can still dress and look sexy, and most men will not oogle or dog you. All the better, because those are not the types to give a damn about anyways.

4) (Most importantly) I think it looks assertive, down-to-business, artistic/cutting edge, and unique; all of which I consider myself to be (and like to portray in my physical appearance as well as through my actions)

Now the question is: why do I think it looks assertive and down-to-business? I've wondered this before. I think the androgynous nature takes away the frail femininity (caveman dragging woman by the hair) and replaces it with a more masculine nature... do I associate men with "srs business" more than women with long hair? Well, of course I do. Plus, all of the assertive ball-busting business women of the 80s had androgynous hair, and so that, I'm sure plays a part as it leaks out of my psyche. To me it says "WORK" not "PLAY" -- if Rand hadn't specified, I would have imagined Dagny with a short cut.

selmab.jpg070607_portman_400X400.jpgstsl02_topten20070709.jpg

selma blair, natalie portman, and british model agyness deyn

Likewise -- I've always pictured Dagny Taggart as the young Ayn Rand, that is to say with relatively short hair. I'm very partial to short hair myself as well, though I can't explain why exactly. My fascination with Natalie Portman went up a few notches after seeing her in "V for Vendetta". I get this irrational urge to rub her head when I look at her though. Few women suit wearing their hair as short as hers, unfortunately. I agree that short hair (though perhaps not as short as this) gives women a more professional and business-like look.

portman234234kh2.jpg

Dagny definitely had short hair:

"Then I saw that you wore a long gown, the color of ice, like the tunic of a Grecian goddess, but you had the short hair and imperious profile of an American woman." (AS, pg 718 of paperback edition -- this is when Galt is telling her about the first time he saw her.)

I think longer hair is associated with femininity because men usually cannot grow long, lustrous, beautiful hair (with a few rare exceptions, the men I've seen who have long hair have ratty hair that looks like the texture of a Brillo pad) and because long hair can get in the way of doing work: it has to be tied back out of one's face, and it can get caught on things (when my hair was waist-length, I was forever getting it tangled on screws on the backs of chairs -- OUCH!). To me long hair is a symbol of luxury on a woman: Not only does it have to be cared for assiduously in order to keep it beautiful, but because it does get in the way of doing certain tasks, having long hair is an indication that one does not have to spend one's days in manual labor.

I like the feminine feeling of long hair, and I like it when my boyfriend runs his fingers through it. Plus, I am a runner, so I need to keep it out of my face when I run -- that would mean either a very short pixie cut, which I don't have the facial bone structure to pull off a la Natalie Portman, or else a ponytail. So I keep my hair long enough for a ponytail. I will definitely never go back to waist length -- it didn't look healthy at that length and it was ALWAYS in the way!

I like having long hair precisely because it augments my femininity. Guys and girls are not the same. I think girls should strive to be "like a man," when it comes to working hard, being productive, having a mind of their own, etc.

But that does not mean that I want to give up my physically feminine qualities. So I might act like a man, like Athena indicated, but I do not want to lose my femininity.

I find that whether or not I like short hair on women depends on the woman. If they have a very feminine facial structure they can pull it off well. More masculine looking faces that leave me wondering if their name is "Pat," do not entice me.

This is the key. Long hair is quite feminine and short hair more practical and thus (to really simplify the matter) masculine.

As for a woman with short hair, it is unfeminine. So how does it "work" for some women? Well, look at every such woman: notice that the ones it works for all have extremely obvious feminine facial and/or body features and/or dress a bit vampy. And also they mostly are or look very small, to give that "pixie" look, which is feminine in its own way.

Basically it's a thing which has to be "pulled off," so to speak.

This is the key. Long hair is quite feminine and short hair more practical and thus (to really simplify the matter) masculine.

As for a woman with short hair, it is unfeminine.

Different cultures have very different attitudes about hair length and whether it is 'masculine' or 'femine' and really our opinions are typically born of the culture we are raised in. Many asian cultures consider long hair on men masculine. In America, musicians often have long hair, and bikers who seek to portray a strong and threatening image often wear long hair, I doubt they would be doing this if they considered long hair objectively feminine. Fabio, one of the most popular international models in the world, has always had long hair.

I prefer long beautiful luscious hair on women, even waste length, I find extremely feminine and very sexy. But I would never think a woman was not feminie speifically because she has short hair. I think you'll have a hard time proving that long / short hair is a fundamental psychological component of femininity / masculinity, it's really a matter of culture, tradition, and personal preferences.

It depends largely on a woman's features, and to a lesser extent on her personality and occupation. Most features can look just as good with short, medium-lenght, or long hair, but not all.

In the end, too, it depends on each individual woman's preferences and choices. Appearance is partly a personal preference and not very relevant when it comes to judging a person's character (with some exceptions). I know women who keep their heair rather short because long hair would be too much of a hassle at work. Others keep it short because it's a lot easier to care for short hair than for long. In both these groups you'll find women who wear hair extensions from time to time to change their look. Technology affords them both short and long hair depending on circumstances.

Personally I preffer women with long hair, but then I like to wear my hair long, too, when I can.

But I would never think a woman was not feminie speifically because she has short hair.

I don't think you read my post closely enough, or perhaps you stopped reading at just that sentence.

I did not say that short hair automatically makes a woman unfeminine. I said that, as a trait, in isolation, it was basically unfeminine. I also qualified that this was putting it quite simply - that there was really more to it. And finally I went on to describe how some women can make short hair "work" for them.

Did you miss all that?

and bikers who seek to portray a strong and threatening image often wear long hair

First, bikers have ratty and unkempt hair, so it's not so much that it's long. They are going on the idea that they are unshaven, unkempt "rebels" who don't have to answer to "the man." Most of it came about in the Vietnam draft era, as a kind of badge to say that the Army couldn't make them cut their hair.

In other words, it's a specific thing that was responding to other things in the culture. Absent those factors, it wouldn't exist. So you can hardly say that it serves to disprove the general rule.

In America, musicians often have long hair

What kinds of musicians? For masculine ones, I can only think of the 1980's, and then it was sourced as a rebellion from earlier eras, which they glammed out. They were copying it from the bikers and hippies and such, but they completely lost the point when they primped it up as much as they did. Basically, they didn't really know what they were doing and most today admit it was a bit crazy.

Different cultures have very different attitudes about hair length and whether it is 'masculine' or 'femine' and really our opinions are typically born of the culture we are raised in.

Not mine. Mine is based on a physical fact: women's hair grows faster. That is why I consider long hair to be a feminine trait and as such attractive on women.

I prefer long beautiful luscious hair on women, even waste length, I find extremely feminine and very sexy.

Mm, I agree with you there. I quite like long hair on women.

I think you'll have a hard time proving that long / short hair is a fundamental psychological component of femininity / masculinity

I don't think anyone was claiming it is a psychological component of feminity. I think it was claimed to be physical component.

I agree with A=A. Really short hair on a woman isn't my cup of tea, but there's plenty of range in hair that's not really short that looks good to me.

I had long hair once, about 1990 I think. It didn't suit me in the slightest. SNIP!

JJM

I have extremely short hair, not shaved though. I noticed that both males and females seem more attacted to my new look. I still can't figure out if the attraction is because of a new confidence I'm exuding or the actual look of the hair. I believe short hair on a female with striking features causes males and female to question their own sexual preferences.

I have extremely short hair, not shaved though. I noticed that both males and females seem more attacted to my new look. I still can't figure out if the attraction is because of a new confidence I'm exuding or the actual look of the hair. I believe short hair on a female with striking features causes males and female to question their own sexual preferences.

Wa-wa-wa-wait a minute....you're saying that seeing a woman with short hair causes us to think we might like dudes? Or just that this is why the ambiguity regarding someone's gender might bother some of us? Either way, could you concretize that a bit for me?

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Not mine. Mine is based on a physical fact: women's hair grows faster. That is why I consider long hair to be a feminine trait and as such attractive on women.

This is false. Hair growth has nothing to do with gender. It's a matter of genetics and diet.

This topic needs a poll, with a crazy hypothetical for heterosexual males to answer: if a friend was going to set you up on a blind date with one of two girls, and all you knew was that one has short hair and the other long, which would you opt for?

I'm with Zip. This is one of those issues that while intersting to consider, is like asking what philosophy says about what your favorite color should be. I think someone ought to specify what empirical evidence they have that would indicate that this is a relevant topic philosophically. Are short haired women psychologically unstable as a rule? Do we see a preponderance of immorality in long haired women?

I loved Natalie Portman bald, buzzed, and with long hair (damn I just love Natalie Portman) and I love Jennifer Connelly with long flowing hair. Someone tell me why I should care.

Now obviously, hair color. that' is philosophically relevant, but length? :lol: