Objectivism Online Forum

Short Hair is Sexy!

Rate this topic

Of course if that's your thing... :huh: I mean we're not here to judge... :lol:

It's a bit off the original subject but it sounds like we're getting into a discussion over whether androgyny is sexy and what, if any, conclusions a person may reach about themselves if they find that androgyny is attractive (I would say virtually none, but oh well). Some people are bound to find androgyny sexy and some aren't, and that's cool. I personally don't care for it, not as far as physical features go at least. I like big furry dudes with muscles and a medium/deep voice. Then again, I can definitely be attracted to an androgynous personality, so there's that. For whatever reason, androgyny seems to evoke strong reactions, positive or negative, in many people. Perhaps it is because line-blurring of any sort causes the human cognition to take notice.

Wa-wa-wa-wait a minute....you're saying that seeing a woman with short hair causes us to think we might like dudes? Or just that this is why the ambiguity regarding someone's gender might bother some of us? Either way, could you concretize that a bit for me?

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Pump your brakes! I don't think the question of ones gender is so bothersome as much as seeing someone the same sex as yourself who happens to be overly beautiful. It is a little unsettling. People love beauty, however I believe most of us keep distant if it is a confusing beauty. We can all thank tradition and culture for confusion.

I think that the matter ultimately comes down to a balance between hair and features. People with hard, lined, or very pronounced features (frequently men) tend to look better with short hair. People with smooth or rounded features tend to look better with long hair. People with mixed features (like Natalie Portman, who has beautifully smooth, round lips, but also protuding cheekbones and prominent eyes) can go either way, but the length of their hair emphasizes different features. If you look at a picture of Natalie with long hair, the first thing you notice is her lips. If you look at a picture of her with her head shaved, the first thing you notice is her eyes.

I think Fabio looks terrible with long hair because he's looking increasingly weather-beaten and it just doesn't add up to an appealing whole. Adam, my ex, looks best with medium-length hair because he has nice smooth features but also his neck is short and thick, so long hair would overwhelm him.

Really, just decide which of your features you consider to be most important/like the best and pick a hairstyle that accentuates them. You will come over as masculine or feminine depending on the way you use them. Physical features are only given meaning by the person that inhabits them.

I think that the matter ultimately comes down to a balance between hair and features.

[...]

Physical features are only given meaning by the person that inhabits them.

This post is so good, that I must say thank you for your great observations.

Here are a couple examples I found to illustrate:

This woman (model Natalia Vodianova), with bobbed hair, and in other photos I've seen with her hair slicked back, looks almost strange. With long hair, however, she is beautiful. Oddly, I think her eyes look better when her hair is longer.

2389310048_8a677000a5_o.jpg

This man (model Ryan Smith), definitely looks better with shorter hair, though to be fair his long hair by itself is beautiful.

2388479111_b7a8859cd6_o.jpg

And here is a young model (Simon Nessman) I'm throwing in because his wacky hair somehow perfectly compliments his face.

2388478923_6fcf1a3caf_o.jpg

Sadly, I couldn't locate a woman who looks amazing with short hair, though there are so many men.

• 2 weeks later...
Sadly, I couldn't locate a woman who looks amazing with short hair, though there are so many men.

While a lot of it is personal preference, I can't believe you don't think this woman, this woman or this woman is amazing with short hair. (Much less myself or athena which you can check out on our profiles.) ^_^

• 4 months later...

I have finally come across a woman who looks best with short hair! Well, I knew about her before, but I didn't think about it for some reason.

Supermodel Linda Evangelista, super beautiful, going both ways and for you to decide: (please ignore that gold dress)

2831178122_bd356880ac_o.jpg

vs.

2831177780_e3e3deace5_o.jpg

This man (model Ryan Smith), definitely looks better with shorter hair, though to be fair his long hair by itself is beautiful.

2388479111_b7a8859cd6_o.jpg

I think he looks much better with long hair, which just shows how much tastes can differ.

John Link

54-year-old with long hair ("Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!")

Edited by John Link

I like him both ways. :P

I have finally come across a woman who looks best with short hair!

I linked to her in my above post, silly! :P She is one of the first short-haired beauties I thought of, Halle Berry a close second.

I linked to her in my above post, silly! :P
Why, you did! I clicked that before, but for some reason I registered, "It's Sophia Loren." Like here!:

g2.jpg

She is so beautiful in that photo shoot (later happily recycled by Guess). Next time, just put the photo here in the thread! The more stuff to look at, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I like him both ways. :P
So did the fashion world. His hair was always different when he was popular.

I just recently got my hair cut shorter than I have every had it before. I was down almost to my lowerback and now its rest easily above my shoulders. I think shorter hair looks more elegant and makes your face seem in the picture instead of covered up by all that hair.

-I've gotten some interesting comments on the way I look by a few guys in my grade this year, but im not intested in any of them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...