Objectivism Online Forum

"We the Living" on Perez Hilton

Rate this topic

They certainly don't sound bad. Very professional sounding. Nothing specifically 'Objectivist' in the 'Best Laids Plan' song, unless it's about Ayn Rand. Sounds more like a love ballad.

To be honest, these guys sound like a Christian Rock band. :D It's all nice sounding, but in a very inoffensive, soft way. Romanticism is far from soft. It's sharp, vivid and clear. It's breath-taking. This is pleasent, but if I had to label music with Objectivist, I wouldn't call this Objectivist.

The new packaging is just one indication of the band’s desire to evolve and be more than just an ordinary rock outfit. They will further back that sentiment when they introduce Philo, the idea that everyone needs to have an individual philosophy, coming Spring ’08. In addition to playing their literarily and philosophically inspired music, We The Living is going to start sharing what makes them individuals via blogs and vlogs, and encourages others to do the same.

Sounds more like a gimmick. I don't hear anything philosophical in the lyrics.

The theme of Half The Girl?

"You're not half the girl I thought you were."

The theme of "Best Laid Plains"... well I couldn't discern that, but it's sung to some girl.

I mean, all these songs sound like the kind of love songs you hear playing at the sentimental portions of Smallville or something. As Perez even says, "This should be the new tune to Beverly Hills". It's that sort of music, nothing more.

I'll pass - give me braggarts of The Killers over these saps.

Edited by Tenure

• 2 weeks later...

I find it hard to believe that these guys are Objectivists. They have a song titled St. Paul on their album Heights of the Heavens.

They also seem to play at Churches, if that means anything.

Perhaps their name is inspired by Ayn's book, but it looks unlikely that they're real advocates of Objectivism.

Oh, and did I mention that they sound like your average Christian rock band ?

On the flipside, it says the following on their Myspace: They will further back that sentiment when they introduce Philo, the idea that everyone needs to have an individual philosophy, coming Spring ’08. In addition to playing their literarily and philosophically inspired music, We The Living is going to start sharing what makes them individuals via blogs and vlogs, and encourages others to do the same.

Edited by Grant

That word. "Philo". It makes me want to shoot vitrolic, steaming acid blood from eyes. Jesus. I mean, it's like... 'hip' philosophy.

"Hey man, check out that Aristotle. That's some hardcore Philo, man. Way to investigate those metaphysical absolutes, for reals bro!"

I laugh and weep at the same time.

That word. "Philo". It makes me want to shoot vitrolic, steaming acid blood from eyes. Jesus. I mean, it's like... 'hip' philosophy.

"Hey man, check out that Aristotle. That's some hardcore Philo, man. Way to investigate those metaphysical absolutes, for reals bro!"

I laugh and weep at the same time.

Or rather "Way to investigate those Metaphyso Absos. No con-tros yo. We don't need no mystisizzles." <_<

• 1 month later...

So I messaged We The Living to ask them if they got their name from the book.

Here's the response I got:

Hey man,

Kinda a delayed response, but you're absolutely right-- the name is from Rand's book.

Out of all of her works, we thought it was the best choice for a band name :P

:P

• 2 years later...

I found this forum because I was wondering if anyone else was talking about this band in the context of Objectivist music. I hate to drudge up an old thread, but I just started a blog about that exact topic, and they're the first band I reviewed. Here's the We the Living post: http://objectivistmusic.blogspot.com/2011/04/we-living-objectivist-music.html

If you're wondering where the whole blog is going, check the post just prior (http://objectivistmusic.blogspot.com/2011/03/objectivist-music-does-it-exist.html). I'd love to hear your feedback and also your suggestions for whom to review!

If you'll notice, they show the book "Aristotle: On Man in the Universe" briefly at the end of the music video linked in the blog post, although it has no discernible connection with the content of the song. You get the impression they just liked to randomly reference philosophers that they liked.

If you'll notice, they show the book "Aristotle: On Man in the Universe" briefly at the end of the music video linked in the blog post, although it has no discernible connection with the content of the song. You get the impression they just liked to randomly reference philosophers that they liked.

Nice catch -- I get the same impression. That, or that's an attempt to legitimize otherwise very silly lyrics. The chorus in the song is like he's describing a bizarre form of synethesia that crosses two senses and an emotion.