Objectivism Online Forum

Am I putting these cool Iranian rebells in danger (by the clip I uploa

Rate this topic

Oxygen

Do I put these guys in the clip in danger by exposing them on youtube?
AFAIK, no. Kids aren't particularly dangerous to the government, so it's better for the government to ignore isolated minor acts of resistance like this, since it basically costs them nothing to ignore it. Also, since Ahmedinejad is on his way out, it's unlikely that there will be any crackdowns.

I uploaded a video today to Youtube. It's a Fox News segment about young people in Iran that are rebelling by having western haircuts.

You are probably not putting the rebels in danger, but you might be putting yourself and YouTube in trouble by posting a newscast that is not yours to post.

In other words, what gave you the right to post it? Last I checked, it is owned by FoxNews, right?

You are probably not putting the rebels in danger, but you might be putting yourself and YouTube in trouble by posting a newscast that is not yours to post.

In other words, what gave you the right to post it? Last I checked, it is owned by FoxNews, right?

Nothing gave me the right. It is owned by Fox. (I am now a easy shot if they want to sue me, I guess)

My reasoning with myself is that Fox made the clip partly because they want to stop islamification of USA. So by posting it on youtube I´m helping them out, was my thinking. It would be a shame if this wonderful clip is made unavailable to the Internet audience in a week like usually happens with their clips. I still think that is a reasonable logic. What propells me is that I hate the prospect of me or dear ones living in a country - I live in Europe - that at some point has Sharia, which has very low respect for individual rights. Also, Fox News is exposed to a lot of hate on the Internet and I guess on Youtube and I liked using Fox as a credible and respectful source because it would strengthen Fox´s reputation on Youtube (but I guess that is nothing that Fox cares about). I would be curious to read arguments against this reasoning.

Edited by Oxygen

Nothing gave me the right. It is owned by Fox.

<snip>

What propels me is that I hate the prospect of me or dear ones living in a country - I live in Europe - that at some point has Sharia, which has very low respect for individual rights.

So, because you don't want your rights violated, you think it is OK to violate other people's rights? Or are you trying to say that you have a high respect for individual rights? Or are you saying that the end justifies the means? Or are you saying that the clip -- that you don't own -- ought to be posted somewhere Fox News decided not to post it on?

Because of your actions and others like it, YouTube is going to be sued for umpteen millions -- if not billions -- of dollars; just like Napster. But, I guess that is OK since your desire supersedes anyone else's rights -- so long as you make the decision to violate those rights?

Because of your actions and others like it, YouTube is going to be sued for umpteen millions -- if not billions -- of dollars; just like Napster.
I suspect not. The burden is now on the property-owner to protect their rights. YouTube have a take-down procedure, which basically covers their butts. If Fox wants to object, they can, and then there's a little back and forth see-saw, until finally the video has to come down. But the burden is on the rightsholder, and YouTube is innocent.

Also, since Ahmedinejad is on his way out, it's unlikely that there will be any crackdowns.

Was there a new development stating that he was going to be kicked out, or is this line of reasoning your own? Either way, I'm confused.

Was there a new development stating that he was going to be kicked out, or is this line of reasoning your own? Either way, I'm confused.

Several major clerics in Iran have basically told him to get bent. He doesn't really have a power base anymore.

Yeah, as the Kat said, the mullahs are slowly turning on him. The important development is that he apparently does not have the full support Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who is The Supreme One. He has allowed (internal) attacks on Ahmadinejad, which hasn't previously been allowed.

Several major clerics in Iran have basically told him to get bent. He doesn't really have a power base anymore.

Yeah, as the Kat said, the mullahs are slowly turning on him. The important development is that he apparently does not have the full support Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who is The Supreme One. He has allowed (internal) attacks on Ahmadinejad, which hasn't previously been allowed.

Alright, thanks to you two for clarifying. I await the day when they tell him to take his Gillette razor and leave.

A note about the clip: The clip is/was free to watch on Fox News´ webpage.

Because of your actions and others like it, YouTube is going to be sued for umpteen millions -- if not billions -- of dollars; just like Napster.

As a previous writer wrote I think this is not how it works. YouTube won't get sued.

My first concern, which is manifested in the post I originally posted, about the well-beeing of the cool dudes in Iran, have I settled with help from the responses, I think the guys are not gonna be harrassed. Your objections to that I ripped Fox News of their property made more aware that was what I really did.

Q and A:

So, because you don't want your rights violated, you think it is OK to violate other people's rights?

No, I don´t say that. Or at least, I think I don´t say that.

Or are you trying to say that you have a high respect for individual rights?

Yes, I think so.

Or are you saying that the end justifies the means?

Yes. I´m saying that in the end individual rights - not just mine - violations has been minimized in the long run.

Or are you saying that the clip -- that you don't own -- ought to be posted somewhere Fox News decided not to post it on?

Fox has probably not decided to post all the clips they for some time offer (for free all the time) on their own site on YouTube (if they had, I would perhaps have seen some on YouTube.) Perhaps it is more cost-effective to only post the clips on their own site, using YouTube would probably cost Fox News money. If they would choose to post on YouTube only those clips that minimizes the risk that the western world will be ruled under the law of Sharia in a 100 years, they would be labeled as crusaders or something, which might be bad for business. I´m saying Fox News might be glad I put it there.

It is possible that Fox News decides not to remove some clips owned by them from YouTube because Fox News decides that these clips are good pr for Fox News. They can´t decide that if they are unaware of it´s existence. I´m gonna ponder about if I should email Fox News about this clip so they can decide for themselves if to remove it (or to sue me (and win - I would not hide the fact that I stole from them.)) I will also ponder if I should remove the video myself.

Edited by Oxygen

I´m saying Fox News might be glad I put it there.

It is possible that Fox News decides not to remove some clips owned by them from YouTube because Fox News decides that these clips are good pr for Fox News. They can´t decide that if they are unaware of it´s existence. I´m gonna ponder about if I should email Fox News about this clip so they can decide for themselves if to remove it (or to sue me (and win - I would not hide the fact that I stole from them.)) I will also ponder if I should remove the video myself.

I see this kind of rationalization going on all over the Internet, and even on this forum. They also say something along the lines that it was free for viewing, therefore it is OK to post it somewhere else. But, something being viewable by the public does not make it in the public domain. The bottom line is that it is not yours to do with what you want; it belongs to Fox News Channel -- and it doesn't matter if you think it would be better for them to post it somewhere else -- i.e. free advertising or some other rationalization doesn't cover your wrong doing.

Yes, I think you ought to take it down until you get their permission to post it elsewhere; because it isn't yours.

YouTube does have the following policy as outlined in the community guidelines:

<LI>Respect copyright. Only upload videos that you made or that you are authorized to use. This means don't upload videos you didn't make, or use content in your videos that someone else owns the copyright to, such as music tracks, snippets of copyrighted programs, or videos made by other users, without necessary authorizations. Read our Copyright Tips for more information.

So, not only did you violate Fox News, you violated the policy of YouTube.