Objectivism Online Forum

What Was Rearden's Car?

Rate this topic

ZiggyKD

All I know is that it was a black Hammond. But the car I see him driving is actually very new. Have you seen the new Thunderbird? I’ve seen a convertible one in green-blue. What is the color of Rearden metal! The color also goes well with his pale blue eyes and ash blonde hair.

That's right, it was a Hammond. There were certain characteristics about the look of the car, I think it was a classic long-hood/short-deck design, is that correct?

I'd like to see him in a 57 Corvette convertible, red leather interior, with a fuelie :confused:

I do think she gives an actual physical description because I still have a vague image in my mind like the one you name. I read the book 4 or 5 times. I’m re-reading it but the only mention of it so far is when the Nat Taggart bridge is to be renovated and Dagny is on site. It is too expensive to merely patch up and Dagny is disappointed that her engineering team could not come up with a new “method of construction” and a new bridge. Suddenly Rearden pulls up in his brand new car and provides Dagny with a design of a brand-new bridge. I last left the book where Rearden hears the news that the Equalization of Opportunity Bill has just been passed—AND WITHOUT ANYONE CONSULTING HIM, AS IF EVERYONE ELSE WAS AN INTERESTED PARTY EXCEPT HIM.

So as I come up to an actual description, I’ll let you know. If you want to go mining yourself, remember that they took a trip in the car together, the trip in which they discover the motor. So it is certainly after they sleep together.

But the "57" Corvette is certainly a good choice; I like the sting-ray version the best though.

Yeah the Stingray is my favorite version of the vette, particularly the 67 and 69. I think the 67 would suit Rearden well esthetically speaking, as the roadsters had very elegant styling, more so than the 69 in my opinion. But the car would be impractical for him, since the Stingray (or at least the second generation Corvette) had no trunk.

Yeah the Stingray is my favorite version of the vette, particularly the 67 and 69.  I think the 67 would suit Rearden well esthetically speaking, as the roadsters had very elegant styling, more so than the 69 in my opinion.  But the car would be impractical for him, since the Stingray (or at least the second generation Corvette) had no trunk.

I had an original orange-colored 69 vette, and as much as I loved it then, compared to my current red C5 convertible it was a joke. The heat and vibration from those great old-time engines was enormous, and it handled like a pair of roller skates compared to the sticky tires and suspension on my C5. The speed of the C5 far outstrips those old monster engines, and the technical and computer gadgets (head up display, computer tells you everything, etc.) stand out like night and day.

For looks I loved the the 1957 corvette with the scoop, and the 1962 t-bird sportsroadster convertible was a beautiful car. But, with all that said, I will be getting a C6 convertible when they come out next year.

I should have placed my statement in context, as I meant for it to be: the Stingray is my favorite Corvette as far as looks go, my favorite version of the car esthetically speaking. I am very much a fan of the C5, didn't mean that previous statement as a put down to the current Vette's performance, which I have much respect for.

Interestingly, Zora Arkus Duntov ("the father of the Corvette"), fought to keep the small block 327 V8 in the line-up on the Stingray -- handling was more nimble with the lighter engine as opposed to the more popular (and heavier) big block 427. Do you remember which engine you had in the 69?

Needless to say, I think you have great taste in cars! :(

... handling was more nimble with the lighter engine as opposed to the more popular (and heavier) big block 427.  Do you remember which engine you had in the 69?

Let's put it this way ... They knew I was almost home about a half mile away. :(

At the same time time we also had a 69 Mach 1, gulfstream aqua. I traded in a 68 mustang convertible for the vette. Since you like cars so much, I'll tell you a cute story.

I was living in Manhattan when the first Mazda Rx-2 rotary engine hit the U.S. in 1972. It was only being sold in Greensboro, North Carolina, so I flew down and bought one, filling up the trunk with filters and the like, supplies that were not available in New York. When I went to register the car I put down zero for number of cylinders, and the registration was returned. This was the first rotary engine to be registered in the state, and unless you specified cylinders the system would not take it. I put down three for the cylinders, one for each rotor, and got it registered only then. A three-cylinder car as far as new York was concerned. :(

Needless to say, I think you have great taste in cars!  :(

It's nice to see people who really care about cars. There is nothing quite like having the fastest scultpure on wheels in town. :D

I was living in Manhattan when the first Mazda Rx-2 rotary engine hit the U.S. in 1972. It was only being sold in Greensboro, North Carolina, so I flew down and bought one, filling up the trunk with filters and the like, supplies that were not available in New York. When I went to register the car I put down zero for number of cylinders, and the registration was returned. This was the first rotary engine to be registered in the state, and unless you specified cylinders the system would not take it. I put down three for the cylinders, one for each rotor, and got it registered only then. A three-cylinder car as far as new York was concerned.  :(

Great story. I drive a Series III RX-7, and I'm still very much amused by the expressions I see on peoples' faces when I tell them that the cylinder count is zero... And when I tell them that the displacement is 1300cc. :(

As far as Rearden's car goes, I don't know exactly what Ayn Rand may have been inspired by, but I always see a Jaguar E-Type convertible in my mind. However, the E-Types were not around when she was writing the book, so it couldn't have been that.

David Sediles,

When you said that the trunk-less Corvette was impractical for Rearden, you meant that with it, he could not take the motor? That’s a pleasing observation.

I know very little about cars. I know nothing about the soul of a car but there are many bodies around town that make my head turn.

One interesting thing about me is, that although I grew up poor, I never sneered at those who drove nice cars. There was always admiration and the personal confidence that one day I would drive one too. Today I admire very much those who have managed to earn the wealth to buy one or a few beautiful cars.

That’s it,

Americo.

P.S., if Mr. Speicher is reading: Wow!

David Sediles,

When you said that the trunk-less Corvette was impractical for Rearden, you meant that with it, he could not take the motor? That’s a pleasing observation.

I know very little about cars. I know nothing about the soul of a car but there are many bodies around town that make my head turn.

One interesting thing about me is, that although I grew up poor, I never sneered at those who drove nice cars. There was always admiration and the personal confidence that one day I would drive one too. Today I admire very much those who have managed to earn the wealth to buy one or a few beautiful cars.

That’s it,

Americo.

P.S., if Mr. Speicher is reading: Wow!

The E-Type! What a classic. My physics professor from last semester owns a 72 E-Type V12 coupe (same year as the car pictured above, after a little research), loves it to death. That car would easily fit the description I think Ayn Rand gave of Rearden's car, long-hood/short-deck.

Funny story Stephen. "The fastest sculpture on wheels," glad to see someone else who considers that car a work of art. I am definitely looking forward to the C6. I love how the designers managed to keep the car easily identifiable (by retaining its iconic identity through design cues) while continuing to evolve and refine the design for increased aerodynamics.

Americo: I thought the Vette would be impractical for Rearden because he and Dagny would have no place to stow their luggage on their vacation -- though now that I really think about it, I made an assumption that they even brought luggage with them, I can't remember Rand specifically mentioning that they did. That's a good observation on your part.

I picture it as being something more like this:

a_1930_Cadillac_V16_by_Pininfarina.jpg

She started writing around 1945 right? So I figure she had something much older in mind. Does anyone remember what car she wrote about having in the collection of her letters? I remember her describing it as black car that was about a block long. That might be a good basis for comparison.

I mean know animosity with this current message but the previous car shown is too ugly to be Rearden’s car. I am confident that Ayn Rand imagined a much more aerodynamic car then the square box previously shown. First Atlas Shrugged does not take place in the time that it was written but in the distant future. Second, Ayn Rand surely must have had access to engineer drawings of future concept cars. Car makers start designing cars many years, maybe even decades before they actually produce them. Ayn Rand more than likely had drawings of cars that look similar to ones today even. So the Corvette is still one of the best choices in my opinion.

Thanks,

Americo.

Which of course, is this:

I agree. I always pictured either an E-type v12 or an XK-120. Those are some of the sleekest, sexiest cars ever. They had power, looks, and above all grace.

The designers were not just concerned with how fast it went or how it handled but also how it looked. If you pop the bonnet on them they are downright gorgeous. Nothing is there that doesn't need to be there. There is a symetry and elegance that is hard to match.

Plus they use SU Carbs. It is hard to match how great of a design those were. Ohh those variable venturis....

• 17 years later...
On 7/21/2004 at 2:33 AM, AMERICONORMAN said:

All I know is that it was a black Hammond. But the car I see him driving is actually very new. Have you seen the new Thunderbird? I’ve seen a convertible one in green-blue. What is the color of Rearden metal! The color also goes well with his pale blue eyes and ash blonde hair.

This is why I love novels as compared to television. Your imagination fills in the details and you can see the type of world they want you to imagine with your own subtext.

On 3/17/2022 at 5:00 PM, Pidge said:

This is why I love novels as compared to television. Your imagination fills in the details and you can see the type of world they want you to imagine with your own subtext.

Yes. I notice that my image for things arising in fiction writing are actually pretty much just a flash and pretty vague, like in a dream. I imaged Rearden's auto as in a style in the vicinity of 1957. I attach a photo of one like that, but my own reading-image would be nothing so definite and complete as this image. (In that era, our next-door neighbor bought a new car like this one in the photo every year. He was rich because he had invented a stone-cutting machine. He had attended school only through eighth grade. Our family could afford to live in that neighborhood only because we built our own house with our own hands.) I notice that something Rand wrote in that scene did not come about in the future of America. Gobs of rich people or nearly rich people today love having an auto that proclaims how well-to-do they are. The styling might not be so hot these days, but the company-emblem on the vehicle will still make the desired statement.

cad.jpg