Objectivism Online Forum

Inability to feel pride

Rate this topic

As far back as I can remember I've never been able to feel good about accomplishing anything. Despite the fact that I now realize that I should, and that it's an injustice to myself to continue saying "so what?" whenever I do something right, I can't seem to "snap out of it." Does anyone else have similar problems or advice? This is seriously having negative effects on my life and I feel like I really need to do something about it.

As far back as I can remember I've never been able to feel good about accomplishing anything. Despite the fact that I now realize that I should, and that it's an injustice to myself to continue saying "so what?" whenever I do something right, I can't seem to "snap out of it." Does anyone else have similar problems or advice? This is seriously having negative effects on my life and I feel like I really need to do something about it.

Since you have noticed about yourself that you can't just snap out of it at will - accept the fact that it is a process. Begin to challenge the negative messages of your critical inner voice without at first having the expectation of an automatic switch to a positive emotion. This will require some commitment to stay on track, perhaps without reward at first. The aim is to be objective in your response to yourself,

avoiding unrealistic generalizations - instead be specific. Keep momentos of accomplishments (collect those) and reward yourself for them even if you judge them today as small. Practice self nurturing - start treating yourself like you deserve to feel good and slowly you'll come to believe it. Once you believe it - you will start feeling self-pride. In essence, fake it until you make it.

Edited by ~Sophia~

In addition, when possible keep track of the amount of effort it took to reach each goal. It will be harder for you to trivialize an accomplishment if you realize that it took you 100 hours, for example, to get to that point.

Edited by ~Sophia~