Objectivism Online Forum

Extracting resources from primitive countries

Rate this topic

I think you yourself are doing an outstanding job of context dropping here.

And what is the "context" that I'm dropping?

You say it here:

Slavery didn't end until it was convenient to do so,

"Convenient" Wrong!

Sorry, slavery ended because it was recognized as immoral. If it were merely "impractical", then there would be no reason to not have slavery today. There would be no stigma attached to it. There would have been no reason to fight over it.

but you ignore that and contend that it was just some magnanimous decision

"Magnanimous"? That's an odd choice of words. It was not about "magnanimity", it was about something much more profound and much deeper. It was about discovering that men have inalienable rights, or as Jefferson said:

"The general spread of the lights of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately, by the grace of God."

that America made on principal alone. No one would ever understand the real history coming from such an oversimplification of it.

It is not an "oversimplification". You simply do not understand nor appreciate the power of principles. Now, to be sure, there is much more to say, but what I'm doing is providing the essential and most important elements. But, I also provided the fuller context by pointing out what is almost never pointed out, which is how common slavery was at the time and that what was unique was that America (Not Africa, not South America, not India, etc.) stood up and to it and fought it on principle. If not for those ideas and men with the courage to fight for them, slavery would never have been ended.

And here is the most important point and really the thrust of my argument, many modern "intellectuals" are busy today vilifying America. They are distorting the nature of America by doing things like dropping context. They have in place, in K12 and the institutions of higher learning, a program of America vilification. These are the same people who attempt to inculcate guilt in people because they are white, especially white males. This is why America is presented in such a negative light.

Philosophically the reason they can attack America is because they have undermined reason. This gives them the power to undermine America and the West. Motivations can differ, but the tool to destroy is what gives them the power.

America is an awesome country that in the context of history has achieved the greatest level of freedom for all of its citizens of any country in history. It was created on the principle of individual rights. It is the first and only country to have done that. It was a country that was born into a world awash in slavery. Its mission was to promote freedom and that also meant ending slavery. Slavery was ended. We have yet to get all of our freedoms, but it’s a work in progress.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic