Objectivism Online Forum

5 Month Old Girl Raped by 18 year old.

Rate this topic

Mammon

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/1...277/detail.html

Police said the girl was crying so hard she nearly stopped breathing.

:(

This guy is going to get life in prison. Even though my emotions tell me he needs to die, I can see a purely rational reason as well. If you do something like that to a child, you are beyond messed up and a threat to other children. Should that threat be ended with killing the person?

Edited by Mammon

The important thing is that that individual should and will be removed from society for the entirety of his existence, so that he can never do that again. If that means life in prison, or execution is irrelevant to me. Execution does have the added bonus that you can't escape after death.

Practically speaking, however, he's going to get severely owned in prison, such that I'd think life in prison will be much worse than a death sentence. He's not going to survive a few years in prison anyway...I'm sure you've heard how child molesters are allegedly treated by other convicts in prison.

Edited by Chops

The important thing is that that individual should and will be removed from society for the entirety of his existence, so that he can never do that again. If that means life in prison, or execution is irrelevant to me. Execution does have the added bonus that you can't escape after death.

Who is going to feed him while he is in prison?

Who is going to feed him while he is in prison?

That's my thinking too. this person has already 'cost' a significant amount to one person and her family I don't see why he should be allowed to cost the rest of us a single cent.

Actually 89 cents for a bullet is a fair price to pay, the only fair price.

I'd rather he spend the rest of his days in prison being somebody's girlfriend. 60 years of beatings and forced sodomy would be exponentially more horrible than sitting in a cell for a few years until they put a needle in his arm.

So you're a sadist? How much would you contribute towards this? I suppose we could work out some sort of "Pay Per View" scheme. A paid TV channel that finances the stay of such monsters in prison, by selling footage of them raping each other (Live!). That might work.

This guy is going to get life in prison. Even though my emotions tell me he needs to die, I can see a purely rational reason as well. If you do something like that to a child, you are beyond messed up and a threat to other children. Should that threat be ended with killing the person?

Physical injury aside, I think an older child or an adult would be far more severely impacted by rape. Do you think someone should be put to death for raping an adult? I don't - I think they should be made to work to pay off the damages. Some might argue that someone who rapes a younger child is more disturbed - but one has to be disturbed to be a rapist in the first place. I think the attitude that raping adults is "more" acceptable comes from the Christian premise that man's bodies are ruled by animal passions, barely restrained.

I don't really understand why most people think that a person's life becomes less valuable as they grow older. I would think it would be the opposite, as they have more to lose.

Why are people so sure that people who commit especially heinous crimes get continually raped in prison? I would expect the psychopaths to be the ones doing the raping. Anyway, prisoners don't wear placards with their crimes on them, do they? Besides, it would be a travesty of justice if we let the criminals have free rein in deciding whom deserves "extra" punishment.

Physical injury aside, I think an older child or an adult would be far more severely impacted by rape.

I'm not sure about that, nor do I think it is relevant. I would think a raped baby would be severely traumatized, but I do not have any evidence of it.

Do you think someone should be put to death for raping an adult?

As a matter of fact, yes.

I don't - I think they should be made to work to pay off the damages.

Damages are irrelevant. You cannot calculate the damages caused by rape or any other crime and any attempt to do so is entirely arbitrary and subjective. You can calculate part of the damages objectively, in financial terms, but there are always intangibles involved as well. The reason rapists should be put to death is because they have violated the fundamental law of human society, that of not using another person's life as a bargaining chip to get what they want out of them. It is not because their crime demands the "payment" of their lives, but because they have forfeited the right to them by the choices they have made.

Have you ever wondered why there is such a strong link between murder and rape? It's not a coincidence.

Some might argue that someone who rapes a younger child is more disturbed -

I think it's fair to say.

but one has to be disturbed to be a rapist in the first place.

Rapists are not sick, they are evil.

I think the attitude that raping adults is "more" acceptable comes from the Christian premise that man's bodies are ruled by animal passions, barely restrained.

I don't think raping adults is more acceptable. It isn't.

I don't really understand why most people think that a person's life becomes less valuable as they grow older. I would think it would be the opposite, as they have more to lose.

I agree with you, the idea that a younger person is somehow more entitled to life is pretty absurd.

Why are people so sure that people who commit especially heinous crimes get continually raped in prison? I would expect the psychopaths to be the ones doing the raping.

Good point.

Anyway, prisoners don't wear placards with their crimes on them, do they? Besides, it would be a travesty of justice if we let the criminals have free rein in deciding whom deserves "extra" punishment.

The point is that it is not extra punishment.

Edited by andre_sanchez

The reason rapists should be put to death is because they have violated the fundamental law of human society, that of not using another person's life as a bargaining chip to get what they want out of them. It is not because their crime demands the "payment" of their lives, but because they have forfeited the right to them by the choices they have made.

Isn't that true of all criminals? What if you are driving too fast and accidentally run over someone?

The point is that it is not extra punishment.

Do you think that courts or incarcerated psychopathic criminals are best qualified to decide which criminals should be punished and in what way?

Rapists are not sick, they are evil.

Why do you think that those are mutually exclusive?

Isn't that true of all criminals? What if you are driving too fast and accidentally run over someone?

What if? How is that using another person's life as a bargaining chip? Accidents are not subject to ethics (and therefore law), choices are subject to ethics (and therefore law). You may incur a debt towards a person by accident, but a debt is not a crime, and a crime is not a debt. Even the non-payment of a debt, in itself, is not a crime. Only if you choose not to pay the debt, are you commiting a crime.

Edited by andre_sanchez

Do you think that courts or incarcerated psychopathic criminals are best qualified to decide which criminals should be punished and in what way?

Courts.

Why do you think that those are mutually exclusive?

Well they aren't, but within the context of the rape itself, they are. An action due to sickness is not liable to punishment any more than an involuntary nervous response of your muscles. If you are tased by a police officer and that triggers your leg to kick him, you are not commiting assault. Ethics requires choice. A sick person may have its range of choices limited, but he is still responsible for the choices he makes.

Practically speaking, however, he's going to get severely owned in prison, such that I'd think life in prison will be much worse than a death sentence. He's not going to survive a few years in prison anyway...I'm sure you've heard how child molesters are allegedly treated by other convicts in prison.

Aren't they separated from the general population?

Anyways, I'm at least glad to read that the 5 month old was flown from Westmoreland Hospital to Children's Hospital, a hospital which is a part of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) health system, a system of which I am a very proud employee of. I've actually been to that particular hospital and they took excellent care of my daughter when we were there years back. Not to fray this thread any...but...UPMC definitely is the fountainhead of the new economic renaissance for us here in Pittsburgh.

Edited by intellectualammo

Physical injury aside, I think an older child or an adult would be far more severely impacted by rape.

I disagree. The baby will grow up physically impacted by what happened to her. She is already undergoing some type of surgery, and it is likely that she will need a lot more care for a very long time. Furthermore, just knowing that this happened to you as a child is enought to traumatize you for life. It is something she will struggle to come to terms with.

This is a disgusting story. Unfortunately, it is not so uncommon, especially in places like Africa where people believe that having sex with a virgin rids you of HIV.

Edited by Mimpy

Furthermore, just knowing that this happened to you as a child is enought to traumatize you for life. It is something she will struggle to come to terms with.

She will certainly have no memory of the event, and can only be traumatized if someone at some point tells her what happened. It is not something that she ever need know, and hopefully her family will never tell her.

She will certainly have no memory of the event, and can only be traumatized if someone at some point tells her what happened. It is not something that she ever need know, and hopefully her family will never tell her.

This event will most likely physically impact her her whole life. How could she not know?

"Mother, why is my body like this?"

"I don't know. It just is."

I don't think such a response will suffice, unfortunately.

That's my thinking too. this person has already 'cost' a significant amount to one person and her family I don't see why he should be allowed to cost the rest of us a single cent.

Actually 89 cents for a bullet is a fair price to pay, the only fair price.

Just bill the cost to his bank account. Or sell his possesions. Should cover the 89 cents and labour costs

Why are people so sure that people who commit especially heinous crimes get continually raped in prison? I would expect the psychopaths to be the ones doing the raping. Anyway, prisoners don't wear placards with their crimes on them, do they? Besides, it would be a travesty of justice if we let the criminals have free rein in deciding whom deserves "extra" punishment.

David, I don't know if you were addressing me with this. I hope you don't mind if I respond as though you were.

I don't know that the icky criminals get continually raped. For the perpetration of rapes against the general prison population, the studies I've seen report that it is more than occasional. I haven't examined those studies in depth, and I don't intend to, but the belief that prison rape is common is not without merit.

As for criminals meting out justice, I don't think we should let them have free rein. Prisons should be set up to prevent and punish crimes committed in them as best as can reasonably be achieved. So long as that is the goal, it doesn't trouble me that a child rapist getting raped ends up slipping through the cracks. (There are so many bad jokes in that line.)

To me it's akin to someone killing a politician who manipulates the force of government to violate rights all over the country.. Yes, it's wrong, and yes, that person should go to jail, but at the same time, no, I don't feel like some horrible injustice was done. I'd applaud the vigilante on his way to the corrections bus.

Edited by softwareNerd
Edited after discussion with poster.

So you're a sadist? How much would you contribute towards this? I suppose we could work out some sort of "Pay Per View" scheme. A paid TV channel that finances the stay of such monsters in prison, by selling footage of them raping each other (Live!). That might work.

The implication that I am a sadist is just silly and I will not engage it. Personal attacks will get you nowhere in an argument or on this forum. Don't use them. The sarcasm is quite unwarranted also.

In my current situation, I would contribute nothing. If my ideal government were in place, I wouldn't have to. Nobody would have to. First refer to the numerous sources that discuss funding government without taxes. Then consider the expenses that prisons could save and the revenue they could generate by putting the prisoners to work.