Objectivism Online Forum

Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal

Rate this topic

BinniLee

I've got to say that this is bizarre! I don't think you are going to sell capitalism by promoting prostitution.

Under a capitalistic government, prostitution would be legal; but also under capitalism she would have skills to work in a factory or something without the need to sell her body. In other words, I think prostitution would be the last ditch effort to keep oneself financially viable, and wouldn't occur that much under capitalism.

Plus, under the morality of capitalism -- i.e. Objectivism -- I don't think there would be a need for guys to go find professional hookers to get sex, they could just find a girl friend who enjoys sex for the sake of enjoying sex; provided they have earned it by their character. In other words, under the morality of life on earth, there would not be moral prohibitions against pre-marital sex, and one could find a romantic partner who would have sex that is mutually enjoyable.

So, it would have been better if you showed her getting a real job under capitalism, instead of turning to prostitution in desperation.

I've got to say that this is bizarre! I don't think you are going to sell capitalism by promoting prostitution.

Under a capitalistic government, prostitution would be legal; but also under capitalism she would have skills to work in a factory or something without the need to sell her body. In other words, I think prostitution would be the last ditch effort to keep oneself financially viable, and wouldn't occur that much under capitalism.

Plus, under the morality of capitalism -- i.e. Objectivism -- I don't think there would be a need for guys to go find professional hookers to get sex, they could just find a girl friend who enjoys sex for the sake of enjoying sex; provided they have earned it by their character. In other words, under the morality of life on earth, there would not be moral prohibitions against pre-marital sex, and one could find a romantic partner who would have sex that is mutually enjoyable.

So, it would have been better if you showed her getting a real job under capitalism, instead of turning to prostitution in desperation.

I can't figure out why Objectivism would have a problem with prostitution per se, given the prostitute in question is doing it of their own volition and for rational reasons, i.e. money. I also think the relative stigma on prostitution, not to mention danger, makes few women choose this path unless under duress. Therefore it can be a lucrative business for the women who do choose it (on the higher end, that is), given the high demand for no-strings-attached sex so many guys are looking for. Guys who want a hooker aren't interested in a "relationship." I don't see how this goes away under capitalism. In fact I see it becoming more prevalent.

Therefore it can be a lucrative business for the women who do choose it (on the higher end, that is), given the high demand for no-strings-attached sex so many guys are looking for. Guys who want a hooker aren't interested in a "relationship." I don't see how this goes away under capitalism. In fact I see it becoming more prevalent.

Why would it become more prevalent?

The first scene I've shot in my comical demonstration of capitalism.

Promoting laissez-faire capitalism is not a joke.

I can't figure out why Objectivism would have a problem with prostitution per se, given the prostitute in question is doing it of their own volition and for rational reasons, i.e. money.

The fact that an action will result in you making a few bucks does not automatically make it rational. For an action to be rational, it should promote the long-term physical, emotional and/or financial health of your life. If you make money at the expense of either of the first two, then your action may not be rational.

Needless to say, this is not to say that prostitution is intrinsically bad. I would just strongly advise against engaging in such activity if it jeopardizes a greater value (say, upsets a significant other), puts you at significant risk for a sexually transmitted disease or you plan to indulge in prostitution so much where you become emotionally incapable of enjoying a healthy, sexual relationship with a future life partner.

Therefore it can be a lucrative business for the women who do choose it (on the higher end, that is), given the high demand for no-strings-attached sex so many guys are looking for. Guys who want a hooker aren't interested in a "relationship." I don't see how this goes away under capitalism. In fact I see it becoming more prevalent.

I am confident that it would be more prevalent in a modern society that underwent a pro-capitalist economic revolution but did not first undergo a philosophic revolution. However, I doubt that prostitution would be a major industry in a society of Objectivists.

Edited by DarkWaters

• 1 month later...

I like it, because I got your point. She wasnt talking about objectivist morality, she was making the point that Capitalism is moral. I know you can't have capitalism without objectivism but her point stands.

HEre in Argentina we routinely see semi-qualified people picking trash in the corner of mine and everybody elese's block, ONLY because it's illegal to hire them under the minimum set wage and without the huge social expenses, to work in more sanitary, productive and certainly more profitable, sportwear sweatshops.

Besides, sexual promiscuity has never been a problem for the Skandinavian peoples.. hehe

Edited by volco

Of course, Capitalism existed before Objectivism.

It did? I believe the whole point of the book -CTUI- was to "discover capitalism" not try to revive it. Or what Steve said.

What I meant is that you can't have any form of capitalism without SOME individualistic philosophical background.

For the Americans British and Western Europeans, H.K, it was the Reformation. For Japan it was the American Constitution's carbon copy.

I can't figure out why Objectivism would have a problem with prostitution per se, In fact I see it becoming more prevalent.

You speak of morality as seperate from existence. Prostitution is complete, absolute moral degredation for all parties. In a rational society it would barely exist.

Asking for sex with no strings attached is identical, philosophically, to asking for *any* action with *no* consequences. The truth is, however, that you can't do anything without *any* consequences. The consequence-less action has yet to be discovered. You can evade the consequences, try to pretend they don't exist, but that doesn't get rid of them.

Why is it that guys supposedly don't want a "relationship"? Are women so horrible to have around? Then why the hell do you want to have sex with us in the first place? This is indicative of psychological problems, not of a healthy way to approach your sex life.

Capitalism by its very nature requires a lot of highly rational people to put it in place and keep it running. Under capitalism, the rewards for irrationality dry up. Prostitution will be mimimalized simply because rational people have better things to do with their time and money.

Why is it that guys supposedly don't want a "relationship"? Are women so horrible to have around? Then why the hell do you want to have sex with us in the first place? This is indicative of psychological problems, not of a healthy way to approach your sex life.

Jenni, I'm certainly not defending prostitution, but there's something that needs clarified: women have their periods. men don't, we have erections. Dealing with that sexual heat is not as automatically solved for men as it is for women, you can't evade that biological reallity either. In any case, prostitution is a poor subsitute for masturbation.

Edited by volco