Objectivism Online Forum

Superman or Batman?

Rate this topic

Grant

Bruce Wayne is also a successful businessman. That alone makes him a hero to me.

So is Lex Luthor. Buy I don't know if Bruce actually does anything for Wayne Enterprises, other then being majority shareholder.

Edit: So is Namor, Iron Man, Green Arrow, and Booster Gold, just too name a few heroes of the top of my head.

Edited by Mammon

Three: the first one who became Nightwing, the second one who was killed, and the current one.

Yeah, the Robins are kind of interesting. Dick Grayson has more or less "grown up" now and is on his own as Nightwing, although he is still part of the Bat-Family. Jason Todd was more or less just kind of a brash thug, as was made apparent after he came back from the dead. Tim Drake, the current Robin, is supposedly not as physically adept as Dick Grayson was, but he is a superior detective, and according to Batman he may eventually be a better detective than Batman himself.

On a side note, I believe Teen Titans Robin is Dick Grayson.

I would have to say that Batman is my favorite as a complete form. What I would say now is that Superman represents for man that basic need on some higher being to save them, something better than man, whereas Batman is reachable by man. Perhaps it is wrong that they've brought these superheroes together like in the old cartoons, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, etc.; because it takes away from the individual stories of the heroes.

It has perhaps always been a close tie since I was a lad between the two. But if you love movies, and you grew up in the eighties and nineties, then Hollywood gave the great treat of seeing a very realistic Batman in the Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney versions. The Supemans of Christopher Reeves just don't come close. In this sense, Superman never stood a chance.

And then you read Ayn Rand, and you come to learn of Nietzsche, and you actually see yourself with a new emotion, and at the same time a new idea, that Batman is just so perfect, and you wonder why you never thought about it before, yes, Batman is an industrialist, who also has created his own skill and superpowers by reason, which is just so inspiring. At this point it seems impossible to go back. The emotion I feel for Batman is right, is joyous, is logical and solemn.

This is from one who has never read any of the comics, believe it or not. I watched much television sitcoms and dramas instead of reading much.

I did like the latest Superman Returns. It touched me on a very personal level and left me with a great and welcomed feeling of Nostalgia for someone personal in my life. Batman Begins gave me a hope in another and hope in myself. As a movie, if I had to look at it more closely, I am sure that I would could name Batman Begins as one of my favorite movies; wheras Superman was just a very pleasant but subjective experience, more mythical, though very beautiful in many ways. The story of Batman was more intriguing, it was more about the human will, which is something that really gets me by a story.

I can't wait to see the sequel. I am so sure I am going to choke up when I see Heath Ledger even though I hear he is going to be so terrifying, I fear to see the Lechter in the Ledger.

So who's going to start the thread: "Spiderman vs. Batman"?

One more thing on Superman's selfishness. His love for, pursuit of, and protection of Lois Lane I think exemplifies personal value pursuit at the highest levels.

This reminds me of something Larry Niven wrote:

Man Of Steel, Woman Of Kleenex

Short tidbit:

What turns on a kryptonian?

[..]

Be not deceived by appearances. Superman is no relative to homo sapiens.

What arouses Kal-El's mating urge? Did kryptonian women carry some subtle mating cue at appropriate times of the year? Whatever it is, Lois Lane probably didn't have it.

I've always preferred Batman to Superman. Mostly because there is very little that separates myself from Bruce Wayne, except things like money and dedication to his goal. His intelligence is high, but not super genius level. He's extremely athletic, but no super humanly so. In short, he's worked to make himself more than the average man.

Not only that, but he's vastly more interesting. Superman is boring IMHO. He's practically invulnerable to anything except kryptonite (apparently the most abundant material in the universe sometimes, because all his enemies get their hands on it at some point). Batman is vulnerable to the same things you and I are, and he continues on.

Better still is his motivation for fighting crime. He does it for himself, not some altruistic idea that the world should be made to be a better place. He wants criminals to pay, so he makes them pay. No bullshit about how it's noble to serve your fellow man. He does it because he wants to and, I think, because he likes it.

Works for me ;)

My apologies. I'm still relatively new to this forum and I wasn't sure where to post it.

I'd appreciate it if a Mod wouldn't mind moving it to a more appropriate section.

Of course I'm not so much outraged as being silly so no worries man. But my point was not so much the specific section of the forum you posted in. The whole board here is basically about questions regarding Objectivism and its application so it is a bit strange to ask the question anywhere here as Objectivism does not have a position on Batman vs. Superman.

But, that being said, everyone's chiming in with personal takes, anecdotes, and other merriment so I'm not one to dump on all that. Cheers!