Objectivism Online Forum

A Goddamn Loss

Rate this topic

By Myrhaf from Myrhaf,cross-posted by MetaBlog

Here is an interesting signpost of how America is changing. Up to the '70s, one heard "goddamn" in polite conversation. It might have been considered salty, but it was something adults said regularly, kind of like saying "hell." You can find the expletive in Ayn Rand's novels.

I remember being surprised in the early '80s the first time a religious man asked me not to say "goddamn." I could hardly believe this person took the idea of God so seriously as to object to a meaningless swear word. Hell, I was an atheist saying the curse. It's not like I meant "Let a supernatural creature come forth and consign thee to the everlasting bonfire!"

Today the word has become less common. I think it has joined the four-letter words as a dirty word one should not say. I take this as another indicator that religion is taken more seriously today.

Lawrence Auster objects to the use of this word in the title of a book by William F. Buckley. 30 years ago, Auster would have been dismissed as a puritanical freak. Today I fear he is the future of conservatism.

View the full article

Funny, it was just this morning that I reflected on how certain sexually explicit swear words that would have been unimaginable in polite conversation a couple of decades ago have been becoming much more common and almost "mainstream." As far as I'm concerned, I'd much prefer to hear more of the goddamn religious blasphemy than the filthy language that desecrates something that actually is sacred. But I'm sure I'll be called a Puritanical Christian for this within a couple of posts...

Along these lines, I noticed recently that on the radio when someone says goddamn, they bleep out only the god and leave the damn.

I noticed a while back that they did the same thing to films they re-edit for television. Damn is OK, but not when preceded by God.

I mean goddamn! What the goddamn hell do these goddamn jerks want anyways? Complete and utter elimination of goddamn from the goddamn collective memories of every goddamn person who ever heard goddamn?

It took me several years of concentrated practice to get used to swearing out loud, so it kind of pissed me off when my religious family would chastise me for it. Now, however, I think I have earned the "Southpark Pass," where they have come to expect it. So it's just me swearing again, already a sinner and doomed for hell, no big deal.

But when used, these words still induce physical winces from some of my family: goddamn, fuck, and (wait for it) "Oh my god." "Goddamn fucking [whatever]" is something I say sometimes, just to get the reaction.

Edited by GreedyCapitalist

Well it's really not even blashpemy. The phrase is referring to something as being damned by god, not that god is damned, right? :thumbsup:

I think it's blasphemy according to how one of the ten commandments is worded: "Thou shalt not take the lord's name in vain." In this wording I think it means not to use the lord's name in a manner that will not accomplish anything, that is, in a manner where calling upon the lord or making decisions in his name will only serve to tick him off, not for him to act.

Considering logic and a good chunk of this board's member's religious beliefs, that's means the word "God" itself is blasphemous.

Also, why do they bleep out 'hole' in 'asshole'? What's the deal with that?

Because everyone likes the ass part but hole is offensive part. That's where all the bad, concentrated evil comes from.

Anyways, speaking of "goddamn" and "assholes", at the beginning of the year we had a meeting for the dorm. When they asked if anyone had anything too say I said "Yeah, we are all fucking adults in this dorm, and you guys should have learned how to use a toilet at the age of 4, so please flush the goddamn toilets!"

Goddamn sent everyone in a rage. "Fucking" sneaked by unnoticed. I was confused. People still don't flush those goddamn toilets.

Edited by GreedyCapitalist