Objectivism Online Forum

The Gods Were Right to Punish Prometheus

Rate this topic

Julian H.

My English teacher showed us this video in class:

It takes quotes from Kurt Vonnegut and relates them to global warming.

"What was the beginning of this end? Some might say Adam and Eve and the apple of knowledge, a clear case of entrapment. I say it was Prometheus, who in Greek myth stole fire from Zeus and gave it to human beings. The gods were so mad they changed him naked to a rock with his back exposed, and had eagles eat his liver. And it is now plain that the gods were right to do that."

"I think the planet's immune system is trying to get rid of us with AIDS and new strains of flu and tuberculosis and so on. I think the planet should get rid of us. We're really awful animals."

You have to admit that he is more blunt than most people. Environmentalism is a death cult.

I say it was Prometheus, who in Greek myth stole fire from Zeus and gave it to human beings.

Why did they get so mad? He carried it with his bare hands didn't he? It's not like it made less fire for the gods to enjoy. Not only that, but humans would have died without it, considering there was absolutely no fire at all for humans to enjoy before Prometheus.

The gods were so mad they changed him naked to a rock with his back exposed, and had eagles eat his liver. And it is now plain that the gods were right to do that."

It might be good to ask your teacher why it is so plain, because it is FAR from it. And doesn't the punishment succeed the "crime."

"I think the planet's immune system is trying to get rid of us with AIDS and new strains of flu and tuberculosis and so on.

The most perfect time for a smart aleck comment: the planet has no immune system.

I think the planet should get rid of us. We're really awful animals."

This may sound harsh, but I assure you I'm not joking: if he thinks doesn't deserve to live, then why does he continue doing so? Looks like hypocrisy, like how one of the higher-ups in PETA use insulin shots. Is his only reason for living to be able to spread the bad word?

You have to admit that he is more blunt than most people.

Gruesomely so.

This may sound harsh, but I assure you I'm not joking: if he thinks doesn't deserve to live, then why does he continue doing so? Looks like hypocrisy, like how one of the higher-ups in PETA use insulin shots. Is his only reason for living to be able to spread the bad word?

You know from earlier today I agree with you when it comes to environmentalism, but Kurt Vonnegut already took your advice and died last year. :D