Objectivism Online Forum

Annoying birds

Rate this topic

For the past couple of months the birds(robins are one type, for sure) outside my apartment are constantly(literally 24/7)chirping or making those damn noises that they make. They keep me up when I'm trying to sleep and the noise is aggravating me to an extreme during the day as well. I can't read without it distracting me, watch tv without blasting the sound, or even have one moment of silence. I've been pushed over my threshold and it's driving me crazy now.

I've tried throwing a baseball at them, but they just fly to another tree and the noise returns in a little while. I have no idea how to get rid of them. I wish I had a bb gun but I don't. I wish I had a shotgun; I'd blow those POS up. Putting poison out there is a bit risky since all the other people and their pets are nearby; don't want to get charged with anything. Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem?

Edited by progressiveman1

If owls, or plastic snakes in the tress don't scare them away, I suggest you look into what is attracting them to the area so much. Is someone nearby putting out lots of food? If so, just about anything you do will be hopeless.

For a more expensive alternative, you could put in more insulation in your roof and walls. Throw some good double pane windows for good measure. That should greatly reduce all sounds that you hear from the outside, and also cut your energy bills and raise your houses value.

Well, that would work if you lived in a house and not an apartment.

For the past couple of months the birds(robins are one type, for sure) outside my apartment are constantly(literally 24/7)chirping or making those damn noises that they make. They keep me up when I'm trying to sleep and the noise is aggravating me to an extreme during the day as well. I can't read without it distracting me, watch tv without blasting the sound, or even have one moment of silence. I've been pushed over my threshold and it's driving me crazy now.

I've tried throwing a baseball at them, but they just fly to another tree and the noise returns in a little while. I have no idea how to get rid of them. I wish I had a bb gun but I don't. I wish I had a shotgun; I'd blow those POS up. Putting poison out there is a bit risky since all the other people and their pets are nearby; don't want to get charged with anything. Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem?

I believe that this should be of interest to you.

I'd be willing to try shooting them with an airsoft/bb gun, but if my neighbors see me and my apartment office finds out, then I might get evicted or fined. Otherwise, I would thoroughly enjoy giving the birds that inconvenience of have to dodge pellets.

If owls, or plastic snakes in the tress don't scare them away, I suggest you look into what is attracting them to the area so much. Is someone nearby putting out lots of food? If so, just about anything you do will be hopeless.

It's probably because there's a lot of large trees and bushes right here. I put the owl out by the trees and have switched its location a couple times. I don't think its made a difference yet, but I'll give it a few days.

I believe that this should be of interest to you.

That's the exact one I got at Walmart. It actually looks real.

Ear plugs?

I wear them when I'm sleeping, which I don't mind doing, but I'm not going to wear them when I'm awake too. They make noise 24/7. It's going on right now.

A cat might be your best bet. We used to have pigeons roost on our roof-top. We tried scaring them, we tried pigeon repellents, we tried other things, and the only thing that worked was the cat. Once the little fuzzball moved in, the pigeons flew to annoy the neighbors. I hope that's convenient for you. A dog might also suffice.

If a cat or dog is out of the question, try white noise while you're awake. Music usually works. You could also better insulate your appartment, especially by putting up double-pane windows. But that's expensive and creates massive inconveniences for a while, and if it doesn't work well enough it can make you angry.

Finally, I recall reading that an airport somewhere got rid of diverse flock of birds by putting a little artifical grape flavoring in the ponds and seasonal puddles nearby. I don't recall any details, and for all I know the problem there concerned water birds rather than land birds.

Not sure, but maybe it will go away in the coming weeks as the birds' mating seasons are over and their young fly off?? You could just go postal, buy a chainsaw and cut down all the trees. I'm sure your neighbors would love that! ;)

Just found this online...maybe it will help or you could try some of the resources mentioned... http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...rzS9&show=7

Edited by K-Mac

You could try to hook up a hose with some pressure, and watering them down. If anything, it might be alot of fun. Obviously, the most fun thing to do would be to cut the tree down and put an "exploit the earth day" sign on the stump.

Or maybe if you owned a personal tank...