Objectivism Online Forum

Is it acceptable to lie to not hurt someone's feelings?

Rate this topic

Dying mother wishes son to marry  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What should the son do?

• Tell the truth
    • Lie

Are you kidding me? Of course it is! Have you ever had a girl look at herself in the mirror and ask you, "Sweety, does this dress make me look fat?" You absolutely must say, "No, you look fine," regardless of the reality. If you say, "Yes," man, you're in for a world of suffering.

Well if they asked for my opinion I would voice it because 9 times out of 10 they would want you to be honest.

It is not nice if I go up to a total stranger though and say "That dress makes you look fat" my input is not wanted and I really don't think I would care all that much too say something. It would get me no where.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would answer this question with two more:

Does living a lie become more acceptable as one gets arbitrarily closer to death? Why would you want to live a delusion at any point in your life?

Wait a minute, though this is not exactly the case, would you say that you'd rather spend your last moments on earth in horrible pain for the sake of lucidity, rather than high on heroin?

It'd be dogmatic! Completely against your self-interest.

Wait a minute, though this is not exactly the case, would you say that you'd rather spend your last moments on earth in horrible pain for the sake of lucidity, rather than high on heroin?

It'd be dogmatic! Completely against your self-interest.

Having experimented with lighter weight drugs in college, and having hated the experience of a loss of my own faculty, yes, I'd rather be in horrible pain and lucid than delusional and comfortable.

But I'd self terminate first given the choice.

Having experimented with lighter weight drugs in college, and having hated the experience of a loss of my own faculty, yes, I'd rather be in horrible pain and lucid than delusional and comfortable.

Have you especifically experimented with opiates?

Edited by volco

I had too surgeries, a dislocated shoulder and an extraction of the lower nasal turbinals. I usually have problems falling asleep. I can "give faith" that those two opiate (phentanyl) IVs prior to my surgeries were some of the most physically pleasurable experiences I've had. Seconds after the drug reached my bloodstream all fear evaporated and I began smiling as I felt asleep. For my second surgery (the dislocated shoulder) I was eager for it! I would much rather die that way, than being perfectly conscious of my own misery (in the case of a disease of course!)

And what method would you chose? An axe to your head? A pill of cyanide? or a huge load of opiates?

Edited by volco

I've been on codeine. It makes me nauseated.

Yes that's what it does. Codeine is quiet mild btw, I've been on it after the surgeries. Now, did you take those pills with alcohol, or while high on something else?

hmm... that's whay I thought.

Yes that's what it does. Codeine is quiet mild btw, I've been on it after the surgeries. Now, did you take those pills with alcohol, or while high on something else?

hmm... that's whay I thought.

Um, no, and if you're attempting to tell me that I am wrong about what I would prefer, lucidity and pain or neither, kindly stop at once. You are out of line.

I 'm certainly not attempting to tell you how to live your last moments. I'm making the broader point that refusing anesthesiacs, pain blockers, opiates, or otherwise, at the verge of dying for the sake of lucidity is self-sacrificial.

I 'm certainly not attempting to tell you how to live your last moments. I'm making the broader point that refusing anesthesiacs, pain blockers, opiates, or otherwise, at the verge of dying for the sake of lucidity is self-sacrificial.

I hope we are not debating the use of anesthetics here? They're medical devices that only masochistic religious fanatics refuse to use.

Anesthetics, used for their intent, are OK, period. Does anyone disagree?

smiley.gif

PS: I think (and hope) Phlegmak was being sarcastic.

Edited by Live forever or die trying

I hope we are not debating the use of anesthetics here? They're medical devices that only masochistic religious fanatics refuse to use.

Anesthetics, used for their intent, are OK, period. Does anyone disagree?

For what I've been able to grasp , Greebo does.

back on topic (for euthanasia there might already be another one): I faced this specific issue with my grandmother. She's old, smart, and unbearable, with a fixation to stick food into everybody's mouth. Even though I love her a lot, I can't visit her as frequently as she'd like to.

There was a time when I did as my father and just lied to her, inventing problems or circumstances. My father still does that (but I guess in self defence, because otherwise he'd be with her 24/7). When I did that I began hating her and feeling guilty at the same time. It was horrible. Now I just tell her, no sorry bobbe I just don't feel like it, it's my weeekend - or whatever but a honest reason. There's a huge difference.

It's the same issue with cheating: If you cheat you selfishly haven't won anything. You've won only in the eyes of your contrincant. Cheating to win is quiet altruistic.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I dont think this is a question of what choice would be true to objectivist principles, but rather a question of personal preference. I believe that in the situation of the dying mother and the dog, one could lie or tell the truth and neither choice would go against living objectively.

I believe that in the situation of the dying mother and the dog, one could lie or tell the truth and neither choice would go against living objectively.

So would it be correct to say that your position is that in this situation a person's choice and subsequent action would not be subject to moral evaluation? Additionally, would it be correct to say that in your position there could not be consequences which impacts that person's life, or the life of the person they choose to lie to?