Objectivism Online Forum

The Three P Theory

Rate this topic

I am new to Objectivism. I halfway through The Fountainhead, and I've listened to some lectures online, but I still don't know Ayn Rand's work as much as I'd like to.

There is one thing, though, that's been bugging me for quite a long time.

My father used to be a great fan and in one of the conversations we had when he was still alive (ironically, he was tortured and killed in a robbery) was about a theory that explained how our society was shaped this way.

According to what I can remember (it's been decades now, so it's certainly not accurate), the theory stated that as soon as humans started living in bunches, someone came up to the crowd and offered to be their leader, to guide them. Thus was born the POLITICIAN.

After some time, there were wars with other clans and someone came up to the crowd and offered to protect them against intestine and alien threats. Thus was born the POLICEMAN.

Soon, the police realized that they owned brute force and could easily overthrow the leader. To control them, the Gods and preachers were created to inflict fear. Thus was born the PREACHER.

I am pretty sure that he attributed this theory to Ayn Rand, but I don't really know if it is hers. I'd like to know if anyone here has ever read anything similar. If so, could you please tell me where to find it? I would really love to 'skip' some reading and go straight to that part, because I really miss the old man and the way he opened my eyes in some of our conversations.

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question. If not, I hope you'll forgive me.

Thank you in advance.

Alex Ross.

My father used to be a great fan and in one of the conversations we had when he was still alive (ironically, he was tortured and killed in a robbery) was about a theory that explained how our society was shaped this way.

Why is it ironic that he was tortured and killed in a robbery?

While the "theory" is rather witty, I don't think it comes from Rand or anyone else. While the theory is charming, I think its a little false. The POLICEMEN, or the warrior caste, probably grew out of the hunter caste after the advent of agriculture removed the need for hunters, and the advent of tribal competition creating the niche for a group of professional human fighters. POLITICIANS probably came out of The Iron Law of Oligarchy. Charismatic, Smart, and generally useful people would probably amass power at the gratitude of the people. PREACHERS are a little harder to account for. I don't think they were meant to control people, at least at the start. Shamans probably started as medicine men. Over time they probably, through use of their influence managed to gain power, and then forced some of their stranger metaphysical theories on the masses. I imagine they only became fear mongers when they themselves felt challenged by a political or spiritual rival. This is probably where all those benign nature spirits became more solidified war gods. This, of course, would be the first instances of the "holy rollers"

I don't know...it could be a variation on Rand's witch doctor/attila dichotomy with politicians being one or the other. That was in AS and some other essays. Don't remember which off the essays off the top of my head. Anyone else remember?

I don't know...it could be a variation on Rand's witch doctor/attila dichotomy with politicians being one or the other. That was in AS and some other essays. Don't remember which off the essays off the top of my head. Anyone else remember?

For the New Intellectual (title essay), for one. (This was the very first Ayn Rand I ever read.)

Why is it ironic that he was tortured and killed in a robbery?

It is a cruel irony that a fan of Miss Rand's and believer of her theories should suffer such a cruel death. I mean, he believed that it was totally wrong to initiate violence and nevertheless...

Hope that's enough to explain the comment.

:-)