Objectivism Online Forum

Bioshock - the movie

Rate this topic

http://www.joblo.com/gore-directs-bioshock

So, for those of you who do not know, they're making a movie of the successful video game, Bioshock.

Gore Verbinski, the same director who directed Pirates of the Caribbean, will be directing.

Bioshock for those of you who do not know challenges Atlas Shrugged.

Read more here

So, with the Atlas movie going into production soon, and Bioshock having picked its director, we may see 2 opposing (yet very similar) movies released simultaneously or near to each other.

Something tells me, given the nature of Hollywood, Bioshock will probably end up being more successful (and well made) than Atlas.

Share your thoughts (if you have any).

That's good news! It's even better news that Uwe Boll won't have anything to do with it.

I wouldn't call it a challenge to Atlas Shrugged, though. While Andrew Ryan and his city of Rapture are somewhat reminiscent of John Galt and his eponymous Gulch, the plot and themes of the story don't denounce or condemn them in that it's not a story about the failures of the market and the dangers of freedom. I'd say it's more of a cautionary tale against "playing God" and the corruption brought on by power.

I'd say it's more of a cautionary tale against "playing God" and the corruption brought on by power.

How so? I mean I don't think it's a "challenge" either, but I don't see how it's that. Who was corrupted by power?

Rapture's fall was caused by Fontaine's corruption of the people via propaganda/altruism, not really any failing of anyone in power. The theme he's trying for is, "men are too corrupt for something as good as capitalism," but the one he (sort of) (accidentally?) ends up expressing is "this is why Libertarianism - as opposed to Objectivism - won't work."