Objectivism Online Forum

The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Rate this topic

Greebo

Q: What is the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement?

VHEMT (pronounced vehement) is a movement not an organization. It's a movement advanced by people who care about life on planet Earth. We're not just a bunch of misanthropes and anti-social, Malthusian misfits, taking morbid delight whenever disaster strikes humans. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Voluntary human extinction is the humanitarian alternative to human disasters.

We don't carry on about how the human race has shown itself to be a greedy, amoral parasite on the once-healthy face of this planet. That type of negativity offers no solution to the inexorable horrors which human activity is causing.

Rather, The Movement presents an encouraging alternative to the callous exploitation and wholesale destruction of Earth's ecology.

As VHEMT Volunteers know, the hopeful alternative to the extinction of millions of species of plants and animals is the voluntary extinction of one species: Homo sapiens... us.

Each time another one of us decides to not add another one of us to the burgeoning billions already squatting on this ravaged planet, another ray of hope shines through the gloom.

When every human chooses to stop breeding, Earth's biosphere will be allowed to return to its former glory, and all remaining creatures will be free to live, die, evolve (if they believe in evolution), and will perhaps pass away, as so many of Nature's "experiments" have done throughout the eons.

It's going to take all of us going.

Them first, please.

Oh well, at least its voluntary. No reason to stop them. :)

I think I made a post about this, like, a year ago?

I did a search on vhemt and found a few mentions within other threads, but no thread that explicitly pointed it out. If I missed one, I apologize.

I did a search on vhemt and found a few mentions within other threads, but no thread that explicitly pointed it out. If I missed one, I apologize.
That's okay, because he seems not to have found the thread himself. It is sometimes hard to find older threads.

That's okay, because he seems not to have found the thread himself. It is sometimes hard to find older threads.

I think it was on a different Objectivist forum, like CapMag or something. The point is VHEMT is old news to me! :)

I wish they'd do what they apparently think is such a good idea, ie, voluntarily make themselves extinct. The world would be a better place then. :)

Why not set an example for the rest of us? Because they don't actually want to die so much as they pretend to.

Edited by DragonMaci

I wish they'd do what they apparently think is such a good idea, ie, voluntarily make themselves extinct. The world would be a better place then. :)

Why not set an example for the rest of us? Because they don't actually want to die so much as they pretend to.

Well their oath is not to breed and their goal is to persuade others also not to breed, not to commit suicide...

So in that regard, they're consistent.

I came upon this site about eight years ago,and posted about in on some science debunkers site. Maybe it was debunkers.org. So, it's old news, but it is important to be reminded of what poison environmentalists are selling. It's also important to take ideas seriously! Something I learned from Ayn Rand.

A suicidal movement of pure man-hating nihilists like this may soft-peddle their message now, but inevitably there will be some among their number that will want to hurry things along.

It won't take long for the Voluntary Human Extinction Project to become the Compulsory Human Extinction Project.

So few people (outside of Objectivism) truly understand the logical consequences of the environmentalist movement.

It won't take long for the Voluntary Human Extinction Project to become the Compulsory Human Extinction Project.

But, in America, who would take them seriously? Most would just giggle, as I almost have, at the way they are now (PLEASE have less sex!) and they would get a huge amount of negative attention if they start advocating forced genocide.

But, in America, who would take them seriously? Most would just giggle, as I almost have, at the way they are now (PLEASE have less sex!) and they would get a huge amount of negative attention if they start advocating forced genocide.

They would certainly be ridiculed by rational people. You and I and most on this board see VHMET for the nihilistic cranks they are. But the thing to remember is how intellectually disarmed many people are. Not to mention that the ecofascists are making a concerted effort to target young and impressionable kids with their anti-man message.

Here's a truly revolting site one I linked to this morning, it's from the website of ABC (Australian government-owned television).

http://www.abc.net.au/science/planetslayer...nhouse_calc.htm

Kids who are fed such a message long enough may buy into the VHMET idea. Some may become rather militant and want to "improve" upon it.

Ayn Rand wrote a great deal on the tendencies of irrational ideas to give way to ever more irrational ones. Those who hold more consistently evil ideas will generally prevail over those who hold more moderate ideas.

It takes a very small stretch of the imagination to imagine VHMET types pushing for carbon taxes on families, blocking the production of vaccines, pushing for governments to exercise control over reproduction. Think Paul Ehrlich. Eventually some of the more militant VHMET drones may become dissatisfied with the results that "voluntary" measures produce.

Here's a truly revolting site one I linked to this morning, it's from the website of ABC (Australian government-owned television).

http://www.abc.net.au/science/planetslayer...nhouse_calc.htm

According that site, I should have died when I was age 9 and yet somehow I didn't.

LOL. i should have died at the ripe old age of 2.8

Stupid fricking people.

Me too.

I was fine until the money question. I own a moderate house, we compost for the garden, we both drive hybrids. And I earn > 100,000 a year, and I spend most of it (on my real estate investments). The 100,000 mark made me a huge, fat, slobbering pig.

Conclusion: Money is evil and destroys the earth.

Hah, am I the best so far? I should have died when I was 2.1! :D

Although in England, it's really not difficult to spend a lot of money. How much value you get for it is a different matter...But I was already quite a sizeable hog by the time we got to the money question, so I like to think that my excellent result has to do with merit as well as exchange rates.

And of course it must be reassuring for some people to know that, even if you drive a big gas-guzzler and fly a lot, you can magically reduce yourself to a cute little green piggy if only you spend enough money on "ethical investments." (Perhaps I should e-mail a suggestion to the site about how they could improve the test by asking which company the user buys his carbon credits from, and only reduce his size if he patronizes the "right" one? You wouldn't want to have a guy all sold on buying insurance, but then forget to tell him the name of your company! I mean, this little addition could certainly not make their agenda any more transparent...)

And of course it must be reassuring for some people to know that, even if you drive a big gas-guzzler and fly a lot, you can magically reduce yourself to a cute little green piggy if only you spend enough money on "ethical investments."

It's Not even an original idea. The Catholic Church came up with the sale of indulgences centuries ago. And it condemned money, too.

BTW, I was told to die by age 9. That's pretty bad. I should make it a goal to bring that number down to less than one.

Hah, am I the best so far? I should have died when I was 2.1! :dough:

Although in England, it's really not difficult to spend a lot of money. How much value you get for it is a different matter...But I was already quite a sizeable hog by the time we got to the money question, so I like to think that my excellent result has to do with merit as well as exchange rates.

And of course it must be reassuring for some people to know that, even if you drive a big gas-guzzler and fly a lot, you can magically reduce yourself to a cute little green piggy if only you spend enough money on "ethical investments." (Perhaps I should e-mail a suggestion to the site about how they could improve the test by asking which company the user buys his carbon credits from, and only reduce his size if he patronizes the "right" one? You wouldn't want to have a guy all sold on buying insurance, but then forget to tell him the name of your company! I mean, this little addition could certainly not make their agenda any more transparent...)

Impressive! I should have died at 3.4 by this evil little application's calculations. I wonder what it would take to reduce my "death age" to 0? Hmmm, time to revisit it I suppose.

Ok, by choosing the most consumptive options in all questions, I managed to turn my pig into a huge drooling warthog and it told me I should die at age 1.2.

That is, I told it that I am a heavy user of a fuel guzzling vehicle, fly over 40,000 km per year, live by myself in a large house with over the top energy bills, eat a helluva lot of meat, get none of my power from green sources, don't recycle or compost, and spend over $100,000 per year on ordinary stuff.

Well, one must always have aspirations! :dough: