Objectivism Online Forum

Values as possible to the immortal

Rate this topic

Abstractionreaction

One thing to bear in mind is the distinction between being "immortal" as in having no natural life-span and being "immortal" as being completely indestructible and incapable of ever dying. (If I'm not mistaken, the example in OPAR refers to an immortal, indestructible robot)

Which meaning did you have in mind?

One thing to bear in mind is the distinction between being "immortal" as in having no natural life-span and being "immortal" as being completely indestructible and incapable of ever dying. (If I'm not mistaken, the example in OPAR refers to an immortal, indestructible robot)

Which meaning did you have in mind?

Well I was definantly regarding indestructable.

Well I was definantly regarding indestructable.

Then basically your question is: "If this is so what ramifications would that have on morality?" But it isn't so, so I doubt many people here would be willing to engage in fantasy along those lines. Perhaps you should ask some questions about what you think makes it so or - if you want to debate the matter - start a debate in the debate forum.

As far as I can tell from reading the sections in OPAR and after much consideration I propose there isn't anything that really inhibits one from having values based on their term of existence. If this is so what ramifications would that have on morality? (emphasis added)
The second part depend on the first. Could you explain what parts of those sections were unconvincing, and why.

The second part depend on the first. Could you explain what parts of those sections were unconvincing, and why.

Well, I don't think that the alternative of facing death nessecitates the choosing of values. I think that values are something you choose to persue for your enjoyment during the duration of your stay in exsistance- be it sixty years, six millenia or the whole of eternity. Values beyond self preservataion are used to enrich ones exsistance, not to sustain it. The part that is not convincing to me is reguarding the immortal indestructable conciousness. Though it has no physical requirements I can't understand why such an entity would not fill its time with a variety of activities.