Objectivism Online Forum

How does Objectivism counter skeptical doubt?

Rate this topic

In researching a reply I came across this little gem in Wikipedia:

Solipsism is first recorded with the Greek presocratic sophist, Gorgias (c. 483–375 BC) who is quoted by the Roman skeptic Sextus Empiricus as having stated:

Nothing exists;

Even if something exists, nothing can be known about it; and

Even if something could be known about it, knowledge about it can't be communicated to others.

Pretty much a direct denial of the three axioms of reality.

Enough said.

Kevin Brown : Your argument is sound. I would add the false concepts of infinite existents such as "god". I like to simply say the definition of god as such is a false concept. Nowhere to go because god is everywhere, and therfore theres only one place and so no place. Nothing to know because god knows everything and therfore theres only one [itself]. Nothing to do because to do something there must first be something not done by itself. All these things go along with the whole "if there was only one color could you see anything." If theres only one thing theres nothing. The antidote to Platonic nonesense in a nut shell. Existence requires multiplicity and knowledge of said multiples requires counsciousness with valid ,entity differentiating senses.