Objectivism Online Forum

Floating Countries

Rate this topic

CmdrBretz

I can see Galt's Gulch.

The funny thing is just yesterday I was reading the "no energy innovation" thread and thought: "someone should build a MONSTER sized floating refinery and park it just outside USA territorial waters". Hopefully with a pilar of smoke and vapor so huge it could be seen from shore :pimp:

I was just thinking about this today too, after reading that Sealand was for sale. Anyone got 150 million to spare?

On second thought the North Atlantic isn't my ideal locale I want to be able to grow tropical fruit, and even the direst (best) predictions of the global warming nut-jobs doesn't have that happening as far as I know.

I was just thinking about this today too, after reading that Sealand was for sale. Anyone got 150 million to spare?

On second thought the North Atlantic isn't my ideal locale I want to be able to grow tropical fruit, and even the direst (best) predictions of the global warming nut-jobs doesn't have that happening as far as I know.

Zimbabwe's still the better choice, I think. :pimp:

I learned about SeaLand about a year or so ago. As soon as I read all about it, my mind immediately started being flodded with creative ideas of how to utilize such a place (I'm an architectural major in college). This new idea is doing the same thing lol. I would LOVE to use this idea as a design project in one of my architecture classes!

Horses are available in different sizes ;)

Yes, and I have even seen that same picture, but the problem isn't so much their size but rather the lack of pasture for them to live in. Besides, my goals involve the larger type of hors, not miniature horses.

Besides. Radar is no longer the largest horse. A Shire horse in Queensland, Australia is now. :P

Edited by DragonMaci

• 6 years later...

For Libertarian Utopia, Float Away on ‘Startup’ Nation

As dawn breaks over the Gulf of Fonseca, southeast of El Salvador, Patri Friedman sets out for a jog. He trots past domed hothouses filled with fruit trees and feels the sidewalk sway gently underfoot as a tugboat chugs by with a floating apartment building in tow. The year is 2024, and Friedman lives on a so-called seastead, a waterbound city of some 1,000 people who produce their own food, their own energy and -- most important -- their own laws.

Rewording and combining a couple of paragraphs:

Milton Friedman, chairman of The Seasteading Institute, an Oakland, California–based group financed with $1.2 million in seed money from PayPal Inc. billionaire Peter Thiel, is pursuing an ambitious aquatic mission: to develop floating microcountries that will dwell in international waters with the same sovereign status enjoyed by cruise ships. Think secessionist, do-it-yourself nation building.

The movie "Captain Phillips" harkens to mind with the sovereign status reference about cruise ships.