Objectivism Online Forum

The Passion Of Ayn Rand

Rate this topic

source

Today in the evening, they are showing the movie "The Passion of Ayn Rand" on a croatian RTL. For the first time in Croatia someone will be talking about Ayn Rand... other than myself.

However, I noticed that the scenario for this film was written by Barbara, Nathaniel's "girlfriend" (so it says in the description of the movie on RTL's site), so I'm not expecting too much, but I'm looking forward to it. After all, Ayn Rand is only the second egoist that the croats are about to know better. :)

I just read some more reviews which are announcing the movie and I read the quote from the director of the movie, "I'm not sure whether Ayn Rand fans will love the movie, but the general audience might enjoy it." (translated from Croatian by myself)

Also, they translated the title of "The Fountainhead" as "The Rebel" and "Atlas Shrugged" as "Shaken Atlas". I think these are really bad translations. Clearly the titles cannot be translated literally into croatian language, but to twist their meaning like this is a crime. Personally, I'd have translated (and already have) "The Fountainhead" as "The Source of Life" and "Atlas Shrugged" as "When Atlas shrugs" (although I'm still working on some other translation of "Atlas Shrugged" -- in croatian it comes out as 4 words since "to shrug" translates as two words which are quite long). "The Source of Life" translates nicely as two words, since "The" and "of" are included in the grammar changes in "Source" and "Life".

Today in the evening, they are showing the movie "The Passion of Ayn Rand" on a croatian RTL. For the first time in Croatia someone will be talking about Ayn Rand... other than myself.

However, I noticed that the scenario for this film was written by Barbara, Nathaniel's "girlfriend" (so it says in the description of the movie on RTL's site), so I'm not expecting too much, but I'm looking forward to it. After all, Ayn Rand is only the second egoist that the croats are about to know better. :D

Better that they not know her at all than get to know her as she is portrayed in that disgusting piece of garbage film.

(Chokes on an apple...)

What?!!

I haven't bothered to see the movie, but I read the book it is based on, which is a collection of implications, innuendo, contradictions, falsehoods and slander -- in other words, a character assassination attempt.

The simplest response to the whole thing is: if she had been the kind of person described in that book, she would not have been able to write Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead. Could you imagine Lois Cook or Peter Keating writing either of those? I certainly can't.

I haven't bothered to see the movie, but I read the book it is based on, which is a collection of implications, innuendo, contradictions, falsehoods and slander -- in other words, a character assassination attempt.

I know it may be hard to believe, but the movie was even worse than the book. The movie sensationalized the sensationalism of the book, bringing it to the level of a bad daytime soap opera on TV. It was truly pathetic.

Obviously, Barbara was primitively jealous of Rand "stealing" her husband from her. Still, the way she portrays this is unbelievably stupid. I'm reading Ayn Rand's Journals at the moment and I keep asking myself the question "Which Ayn Rand did Barbara write about?" It is not THE Ayn Rand, it is someone else. And she calls the book "The Passion of Ayn Rand"? At least the translators translated this in a less offensive way, "The Life of Ayn Rand," but still that's not it.

Still, even in this movie, although it was terrible, Barbara does say something that is true - that she herself is a liar and a hypocrite. She spent years with Ayn Rand pretending to be someone she isn't; deluding Ayn Rand into believing that Barbara is a woman of integrity (how DID she manage that?). And then in one of the final scenes she dares to "stand up" to Ayn Rand and tells her that "she knows all too well why Ayn shouldn't destroy Nathaniel", offering no reason whatsoever (this scene, I believe was one portrayed as it happened, at least for the most part). She broke like water when hitting against a rock. And then she dared to write a book like this; and film a movie like this one.

I'm just glad that Amazon stopped me from buying (and actually paying for) this movie when I was shopping for documentaries about Ayn Rand.