Objectivism Online Forum

The Objectivist Shooting League

Rate this topic

The Objectivist Shooting League (OSL) is a post shooting league and email list specifically made for Objectivists. Its purpose is to promote and encourage shooting activities for Objectivists, as well as serve as a resource for people thinking about getting into the hobby. Advice and discussion on purchases, competitions and other activities will all be a regular occurance.

Shooting is a fun and enjoyable hobby that can range from very inexpensive to very expensive, depending entirely on the person's own preferences. It helps to establish self-confidence and self-discipline, two traits which are valuable for any Objectivist. It also has obvious applications to extreme, emergency situations in which one has to defend themselves from outside harm.

Requirements to Join

- You must be an Objectivists or a student of Objectivism. That means you must agree with the fundamental tenants of Ayn Rand's philosophy (The three axioms at minimum) and its application to the world (reason, selfishness and capitalism.)

- You must have some interest in firearms. This means you must either own or plan to own a firearm, and preferably actively shoot.

That's it!

First Competition

As our first competition and as an example of the kinds of things that will occur regularly in the OSL, we will have a postage competition.

A postage competition is when you are given a set amount of time to turn in a certified target. A certified target is one that has been signed off as being authentic by the rules of the shoot by your range master. Alternative methods of verification can be done, at the discretion of the organizer.

This will be a rifle competition, and the standard for who wins will be accuracy. Any rifle is acceptable for this competition.

The competition is free to enter, and the only prize is bragging rights and the ability to learn better shooting techniques.

The parameters are also simple. The target must be set 100 yards from where you shoot. You are to shoot 5 shots at the target. The person who's 5 shots are closest together (as measured by the two bullet holes farthest apart, outermost part of the hole to outmost part,) is the winner of the competition.

Targets are due on the last day of July, at the latest. There is no limit to how many practice shots you can take, but you can only send 1 target in.

For anyone who is interested, you may join the google group that I have set up for the organization. Just PM me or email me and I will send you an invite. The first couple posts I will make will be on general gun safety and an excellent article done by an acqaintence about shooting a rifle accurately.

Cool idea! Now I have to see if that outdoor range near here is still open....

(I do have one suggestion--measure center of hole to center of hole. No reason to penalize those who shoot 45-70 over .22 or .17. This is easy enough to do--measure edge to edge and subtract your caliber.)

Edited by Steve D'Ippolito