Objectivism Online Forum

A Cross Between Dr. Seuss & Ayn Rand

Rate this topic

KevinDW78

http://freemarketunderdog.com/book.php

Book Description:

This book is a cross between Dr. Seuss and Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged. Ayn Rand would be proud of the message and Dr. Seuss would be proud of the beautiful illustrations and rhyming verse in this lively tale of free-markets versus excessive government regulation.

Hardcover, 27 beautifully illustrated pages! Follow the trials of bright Bridget Blodgett as she struggles to produce her widgets and wodgets in the face of increasing taxation! Find out what happens when the islanders and their businesses can no longer support the bureaucracy that has somehow grown from the best of intentions! This beautifully illustrated hard-bound book extols the virtues of free markets, and shows what can go wrong when government bureaucracy gets out of control! For free market advocates of all ages!

That sounds rad. I love both Seuss and Rand. However, looking at those images of the front cover...bleg. The illustrations look like a childrens' book I made when I was in 7th grade. :)

Yeah, definitely not Seussish artwork. :confused:

The age range this is targeted to is a bit young to be introduced to the complicated concepts of government and taxation. Unless the child had already been intellectually prepared for such subjects, the book will have little (if any) effect on them.

Art's purpose is not to teach. In fact, this specific format of art (ie a children's book) treats the subjects so lightly that it makes trying to teach with it confusing to the child at best, disastrous (dogmatic child, floating abstractions, etc,) at worst.

Proper childrens' books would properly be about positive, life-and-freedom-affirming subjects - but subjects that the child is intellectually prepared to grasp and integrate. Stories reinforce taught morals, knowledge gained, etc. They can point out errors and allow you to change the way you are acting (ahem, Atlas Shrugged,) but it must be emphasized that they can only do this if you have sufficient knowledge to grasp the subject.

No one would suggest that you ought to read Atlas Shrugged to a 7 year old. Vocabulary aside, they simply aren't prepared to deal with the concepts contained in that book - the context of their knowledge is too low in the hierarchy to integrate what is being said. You do not "dumb down" that message to transmit it to a younger audience - you just wait until they are ready for it.

So, as a children's book, I think its a stupid idea. I might buy it for me, though, because it looks funny and entertaining.

Edit: As an aside, I find this very much a good example of why libertarians are wrong. When you deny generally that the intellect - ie the process of coming to a conclusion - is the most vital part of any political conclusion, you come up with cheap propaganda like this who's nominal goal is to "teach libertarian ideals," but who's actual method (due to the age group targetted) is to make children into dogmatic libertarians, without really understanding why.

Edited by sanjavalen

There is a book by Dr. Seuss that does entertain and, incidentally teach: Thidwick, the Big-Hearted Moose.

It's a fun little illustrated story-poem that warns against the error of helping out moochers and leeches who only want a free ride--in this case, literally!