Objectivism Online Forum

Overview of Objectivist virtues

Rate this topic

JMartins

While looking for inspiring objectivist-related material to put on on the wall at home or at work, I instead decided to make something myself. I decided to go with an overview of the objectivist virtues.

The text is from both Galt's speech and the Ayn Rand lexicon. I also chose to include an inspiring picture of Howard Roark from the Fountainhead motion picture.

If you have any suggestions as to how it might be improved, let me know. I believe the order of the virtues is appropriate, though perhaps "Objectivist Ethics" might be a more suitable title.

http://objectisoft.com/jmartins/objectivistVirtues.pdf

Assuming there is no copyright issue with using the image, I have one further suggestion to make...

You could put, as a background, a faint gray set of six lines radiating from the Rationality Paragraph to the other six, to make it more plain that they derive from Rationality. (I'd have a circle "under" each paragraph (it would be an underprint), connected by radiating lines.)

While looking for inspiring objectivist-related material to put on on the wall at home or at work, I instead decided to make something myself. I decided to go with an overview of the objectivist virtues.

The text is from both Galt's speech and the Ayn Rand lexicon. I also chose to include an inspiring picture of Howard Roark from the Fountainhead motion picture.

If you have any suggestions as to how it might be improved, let me know. I believe the order of the virtues is appropriate, though perhaps "Objectivist Ethics" might be a more suitable title.

http://objectisoft.com/jmartins/objectivistVirtues.pdf

You should add "think for yourself."

What about talent? Creativity? Selfishness?

There are many, many virtues - and they are *all* compatible with Objectivism.

The ones shown here were specifically mentioned by Rand (and Peikoff in OPAR). In both cases, I believe, they made no claim that their list was exhaustive.

However, I don't think AR believed in "talent"--she was of the opinion that anyone could learn anything given enough time. And selfishness is so basic it might be outside the scope of a list of virtues--I cannot believe she could forget to list it! I'd have to think for a bit about creativity--whether it would fit in or not.

Craig Biddle listed another possible addition to the list, purposefulness.

It must be emphasized that adding things to the list, no matter how consistent they may be, makes it non-Objectivist since Objectivism is (limited to) the philosophy as understood and expounded by Ayn Rand. (I have yet to figure out what to refer to Objectism+consistent extensions as.)