Objectivism Online Forum

A Plan for Objectivist Government

Rate this topic

In a recent debate on federalism I proposed that Objectivists congregate in a single state for the purpose of establishing a model Objectivist government, to serve as an example to the rest of the country. Because the number of Objectivists is relatively small (in a recent thread it was estimated at 25,000), it is clear that this is presently infeasible. However, the same idea is feasible when applied to smaller political subdivisions.

So here is my plan. The smallest state in the United States is Wyoming with an estimated population of 522,830. Its smallest county is Niobrara, with a population of 2,407. The smallest town therein is Van Tassel, with a population of 18.

Phase one of the plan involves the commitment of 20 or more Objectivists to form an elective majority in the town of Van Tassel for the purpose of establishing the first Objectivist town government. To the extent that Wyoming law invests the town government with power, this will be a first chance to apply Objectivist principles to town policy. This will set an example for neighboring towns and Niobrara county with the expectation that the positive results will encourage further political expansion of Objectivist principles.

Phase two of the plan involves the political transition to Objectivist principles of Niobrara county. The close physical proximity of Van Tassel will mean that the successes of the showcase Objectivist town can be seen firsthand and its lessons applied readily.

Phase three of the plan involves the political transition to Objectivist principles of additional counties following the example set by Niobrara and ultimately a majority of the state of Wyoming, which will facilitate the establishment of an Objectivist state government. This is the key step because much power resides at the state level, including the ability to privatize many state functions such as education and abolish state taxation.

Phase four of the plan involves the political transition of other states based on the example set by Wyoming, and ultimately, the federal government, enabling the repeal of unjust federal laws such as federal income taxes, regulations of private industry, and so forth.

The concentric expansion of Objectivist political principles by concrete example will occur at a natural pace and involve no compromises.

Can I get 20 takers? Who's on board?

Edited by Seeker

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's not a bad idea, but I think more considerations need to be made than just population. What do people in that town do? What local resources are available? Can we establish viable business opportunities there, etc?

You would have to put it in a place that would get huge benefits from Objectivism. A place where people could look at themsleves before the change and realize how much life has improved.

I question that it'd improve much since higher levels of government would still be statist, thus limiting how much the Objectivist low-level government could do.

I also doubt the higher level governments of America would allows such a system to exist since it'd undermine everything they are trying to do.

I question that it'd improve much since higher levels of government would still be statist, thus limiting how much the Objectivist low-level government could do.

I also doubt the higher level governments of America would allows such a system to exist since it'd undermine everything they are trying to do.

The higher levels of government in America officially don't have that kind of power They may only intervene in state and local matters if the state or local government is doing something that violates Federal Law.

Well, that's the intention behind the Constitution of the US anyway. :)

The higher levels of government in America officially don't have that kind of power They may only intervene in state and local matters if the state or local government is doing something that violates Federal Law.

Well, that's the intention behind the Constitution of the US anyway. :)

I doubt they can be trusted to stick to that when what they are aiming to achieve is being undermined in such a manner.

However, there is the fact that certain things the governments of the higher levels legislate do apply (eg taxes, regulations, etc). I think these levels factors would mask any benefit of the proposed government given the fact that it would have only a tiny effect while the higher levels have a massive combined effect.

I like your idea, Seeker. The "Free State Project" was in the same vein, but aimed more at a state level. One thing is for sure, trying to (re)establish a government based on individual rights and l.f. capitalism is better than not doing anything at all, regardless of wether the change is local, State, or Federal. Cities are all unique, given their location, on their comparative level of individual liberty.-i.e. compare the laws of New York City to that of Las Vegas. I welcome idea's such as the ones Seeker has presented to further the cause of freedom.

I think the idea has priorities mixed up. The focus should be on philosophically educating people before we worry about changing the politics.

I agree and disagree - I agree that it is essential to educate people philosophically, but I disagree that this cannot occur in tandem with concrete change politically. The Objectivist pioneers must be philosophical educators. They must explain to their neighbors the hows and whys of Objectivist politics; the connection between the advantages in real concrete terms and Objectivist concepts of reality, reason, and rights must be taught explicitly. A basic tenet of the plan is that Objectivism is not to be compromised for political expediency; this will require the spread of Objectivism in its entirety.

I also agree that the types of policy changes that can be implemented at the local level are relatively limited in scope, but this does not mean that they are not significant. For example, property taxes are typically imposed by localities. For another example, land use planning ordinances are typically made at the local level. The real value however is that for the first time a town would exist that would be implementing Objectivism expressly in real, concrete terms. Not only would this be a chance to begin working out the myriad details of implementing law based on Objectivism, but it would serve as an inspiration and model to others.

So I agree about the need to educate and see this as a way to do so.

I think that's not a bad idea, but I think more considerations need to be made than just population. What do people in that town do? What local resources are available? Can we establish viable business opportunities there, etc?

Population need not be the only factor to consider in selecting a locality. However, in order to preserve Objectivism whole from the outset, given the limited number of Objectivists it must be a predominant factor. That said, an array of other criteria might be appropriate to consider provided that it does not hinder the basic approach.

Edited by Seeker

Not only would this be a chance to begin working out the myriad details of implementing law based on Objectivism, but it would serve as an inspiration and model to others.

So I agree about the need to educate and see this as a way to do so.

I doubt many people would learn from it; most people tend to evade learning from situations that conflict with their views of what is the best system.

1) Why would I want to live in a town of (in the end) less than 40 people? I need to work, you know.

2) You can rarely get 4 Objectivists to agree on where to go for lunch, let alone how to run a city government

3) The town government probably doesn't even exist outside of the mayor, who does nothing at all.

This is a silly idea. What kind of LFC de-regulations would happen in a town of 40 dudes?

1) Why would I want to live in a town of (in the end) less than 40 people? I need to work, you know.

I live in a town of more that 50,000 people, yet I leave that town to go to work

2) You can rarely get 4 Objectivists to agree on where to go for lunch, let alone how to run a city government

I think the role of government is one thing most Objectivists do agree on.

3) The town government probably doesn't even exist outside of the mayor, who does nothing at all.

Perfect. So we wont have to make many changes to the infrastructure of the existing govt.

Phase one of the plan involves the commitment of 20 or more Objectivists to form an elective majority in the town of Van Tassel for the purpose of establishing the first Objectivist town government. To the extent that Wyoming law invests the town government with power, this will be a first chance to apply Objectivist principles to town policy. This will set an example for neighboring towns and Niobrara county with the expectation that the positive results will encourage further political expansion of Objectivist principles.

What would we be able to accomplish in terms of economic production with 20 or so people?

Ok, to those who are pessimistic about Seeker's idea, WE GET IT. But, instead of giving all the reasons why it won't work, etc. why not try and contribute to the idea of how it CAN work. Be a part of the solution for hell's sake. Sure it has its obstacles, but I give credit to him for, at a minimum, seeking an answer to a very real problem of statism, and one option on how to establish a more free society.

But, instead of giving all the reasons why it won't work, etc. why not try and contribute to the idea of how it CAN work.
Here's a suggestion. Remain integrated in society, seek out those positions where intellectual activism can have some effect. Especially, get involved in education, writing, media, and law. Work to shape the nature of society by remembering that this is a free society determined by how people vote, which is determined by how people think. Don't run from the muddleheads, convert them. Get them to live by reason.

Don't run from the muddleheads, convert them. Get them to live by reason.
I think that would be a good Rx were the patient not in such a deep moral and philosophical coma. If you are going to attempt to teach or lead, what better way is there than to teach or to lead by example? So I say if you can get enough people, go for it. It would be an interesting experiment if nothing else. It kind of reminds of Captain Kirk musing about the fate of Khan and his band of genetically superior comrades at the end of "Space Seed." After leaving them on Ceti Alpha 5, Kirk says something to the effect of: "It would be interesting to return here in 20 years to see what flower has bloomed from the seed we planted today."

Hopefully, things would turn out better for the 20 Objectivists than they did for Khan :(

A larger scale would be more difficult.

Of course, but I think it is necessary.

I think the idea is that we would start small and grow from there.

I understand that, but my point is that I think the proposal involves starting too small for it to be effective, so I proposed starting a larger [but still small] scale.

I'd love to join this initiative but I am unable to at this time; time, distance and family commitments preclude my participation. I would like to add my two grams (Ag) though.

First off I'm on record here already (somewhere) saying that the primacy of the philosophical approach to instituting O'ism is the wrong way to get people interested. Nothing causes the average persons eyes to glaze over and a trickle of drool to form in the corner of a mouth faster than the words "philosophically speaking" (or some such intro).

Now this does not mean that you abandon the philosophy but rather shift tactics. Like someone has already mentioned setting the example is one of the most effective methods of leadership.

There are a lot of objections to this plan most have some merit but the point is that without a beginning, even the most modest one, nothing will ever be done.

I'd like to suggest that this plan be coupled with an information campaign. Document the changes, publish press releases, blog, have a website... get the word out.

I'd like to suggest that this plan be coupled with an information campaign. Document the changes, publish press releases, blog, have a website... get the word out.

That is a very good suggestion. I think it'd help a lot. Especially if enough money could be raised for internet, TV, and radio ads. Internet ads would be easy, especially if one used Google's , Yahoo!'s, and Microsoft's text ad services, as they are all quite cheap. (Yes, I do mean all three; that way would get more exposure than just using one would, just like advertising on more than one TV channel or more than one radio station would.)

Also, I think it'd help if at least some of the 20 bought in would be people that could employ other people, especially if it means bringing in people from other areas. If the town grew economically and population wise at a fast rate because of highly productive people that created employment for others it'd help spread the message.

An example of this would be me with my horse farm, though the example relies on this idea not being done for quite some time. I'd pretty quickly need to hire others to help me with my horses. Also, since breeding is one of the things I plan to do I would bring in a lot of money from outside the state, potentially even from outside the US. In fact if I do well enough people from all other the world would come to my farm to buy horses from me and in the process see the how well the town is doing.

I used myself as an example because it is the only one I know and because it is a perfect example of how someone highly productive that drew in others would help the cause both through the success and money he'd bring into the town and the extra people he'd expose to the ideas and the result of implementing those ideas.

I think the idea needs something like this if it is to work at all.

Edited by DragonMaci

I was thinking about this this morning I realized that the concerns of some people here over the location are rvery important for several obvious reasons including economic, social and environmental concerns.

So rather than focusing on a place like Van Tassel (a ghost town) which has few social or economic opportunities and well, crappy weather (my assessment :confused:) why not incorporate a purely Objectivist town of our own in a location where the chance of success is increased?

So, don't castrate the chance of success by placing O Town in the middle of nowhere but increase it by selecting a location in a State that offers the best possible combination of economic, social and environmental factors.

I know a lot of people here are set against the Free State project but NH does seem to offer the most compatible location in terms of taxes, and in my opinion Libertarians aught to be more receptive to Objectivist ideals if only because of their focus on personal liberty and minimalist government.