Objectivism Online Forum

Aaron Turner

Rate this topic

I've been looking at this site for about a week, and find it very well designed, informative, indeed one of the best Objectivism sites I've experienced.

I've considered myself an Objectivist for about 18 years now, having first read Rand during college. My profession, I am an optical engineer working for Goodrich Aerospace in their electro-optics and space division.

My wife and I host a small Objectivism discussion group. I am wondering where within this site is a good place to post an "advertisement" for our group?

-Thanks,

Aaron Turner

My wife and I host a small Objectivism discussion group.  I am wondering where within this site is a good place to post an "advertisement" for our group?

I post notices about community groups on my CyberNet every month. See my .sig below for more info.

Where are you located?

... and welcome.

We manufacture highly advanced optical systems (telescopes, cameras), mostly for the military and NASA. Our company (under different ownership) produced the Hubble space telescope (yes, we're the ones who screwed up the main mirror). We also made the much more successful Chandra X-ray space telescope. One of the larger items we've made recently is the SOAR telescope - a ground-based astronomical telescope that is being installed in Chile. In addition, we make a variety of smaller optical systems for satellites, including many reconnaisance systems. We also make systems that go on various aircraft, for both reconnaisance and target identification, as well as laser-warning receivers that warn the pilot that he is being tracked by an enemy unit. We have maintainence contracts for the U2 and even the B-52 fleet. We also produce a wide variety of very small optics, such as are found in rifle sights and night vision systems.

My role in the company is the steady advancement of our technologies in manufacturing the extremely precise optical surfaces needed in these systems. Specifically, I am responsible for proposing new methods, and overseeing their development, as well as promoting the ideas of other engineers in our team.

I also write most of the modelling and optimization software used to grind and polish the mirrors and lenses. Recently, I've further expanded my activities to include systems engineering [design and problem solving within the optical system as a whole].

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but as you may guess, I *really* love my job!

[i also greatly enjoy my three children, and my Objectivist wife. I know the question was not about family life, but I couldn't leave them out of the picture!].

My profession, I am an optical engineer working for Goodrich Aerospace in their electro-optics and space division.

Another Objectivist working in optics? So you're the other one! :-)

I've been working with lasers and optics for about 8 years in Southern California. Where is your company located?

We're in Danbury, Connecticut. The company originally was Perkin Elmer, then purchased by Hughes Electronics, then Hughes was purchased by General Motors, then we were sold to Raytheon, and most recently (two years now), purchased by Goodrich.

So, if you're in Southern California, we may have worked for the same company (Hughes or Raytheon) at one time or another. In fact, you may even be a current customer.

-A

And there are at least four Objectivists in optics. My wife (Kimberly Mcneill) works with me at Goodrich, and one of our optical designers (Malcomb MacFarlane) is, well, a pseudo-Objectivist - he has the Kelley/Libertarian disease, I'm afraid.