Objectivism Online Forum

OCON

Rate this topic

Hello, everyone!

Santiago and I will be in the Newport Beach area on Saturday the 28th and/or Sunday the 29th. If you are going to OCON, we are wondering if anyone wants to meet up for lunch on the 28th (or dinner if you are not attending the welcome reception and dinner) or for dinner on the 29th sometime between 5-7:30pm. (At 8pm, we are going to the ARI Presentation...we could have dinner first, then head over together??) If none of that works out, we were thinking maybe we could meet at a nearby bar or restaurant after the Sat and Sun events are over at 9:30. It would be nice to meet everyone (finally) and have good conversation for an hour or so, if nothing else. Or if you have another idea, please let us know. We'd like to meet some of our oo.net friends. :)

Hello, everyone!

Santiago and I will be in the Newport Beach area on Saturday the 28th and/or Sunday the 29th. If you are going to OCON, we are wondering if anyone wants to meet up for lunch on the 28th (or dinner if you are not attending the welcome reception and dinner) or for dinner on the 29th sometime between 5-7:30pm. (At 8pm, we are going to the ARI Presentation...we could have dinner first, then head over together??) If none of that works out, we were thinking maybe we could meet at a nearby bar or restaurant after the Sat and Sun events are over at 9:30. It would be nice to meet everyone (finally) and have good conversation for an hour or so, if nothing else. Or if you have another idea, please let us know. We'd like to meet some of our oo.net friends. :)

Bout time you decided to show! Glad to hear you'll at least be in town.

I'm up for dinner on Sunday night, and I dont particularly need the ARI presentation, but early dinner works too.

Also, can meet up after the reception. If I remember right Boston's reception ended up out in the bar later. Maybe we could meet up in the hotel and stay or go out as well.

That sounds good to me. If the ARI Presentation is just the state of the ARI, I heard that a month or so ago at a breakfast w/ Yaron Brook, so I wouldn't be interested in going again. Let's see if anyone else responds (I'm pretty sure Athena and West want to meet up too) and then we'll decide. Sometime before we all leave for OCON, I'll PM everyone that's interested to finalize plans and swap cell phone numbers.

Thus far, it's looking like dinner Sunday evening, probably a bit early, around 6pm, so that those who want to go to the ARI Presentation can. If we want to go somewhere else afterward, we can play that by ear. Athena is going to ask a relative who lives in that area of a place we can eat that's moderately priced. I'll keep updating this thread and Facebook as things change or are finalized.

I have a list of 13 people (including everyone who's posted above) so far. Gonna be fun! :confused: I'm making a list so I can be sure to send everyone updated info as available. Stay tuned!

Sunday night (the 29th), between 6-8 is looking good for everyone, thus far. Then after dinner, if we want to go out anywhere else we can, or if some or all of us want to go to the free ARI Presentation, we can. (I heard from a member of FROG yesterday that it's a great presentation.)

tps_fan has suggested Mamma Gina's for dinner. (He has been there before.) Athena said she will ask her uncle for some other good restaurants in the area, since he lives there. I'm not sure what everyone's transportation situation will be, so it might be best to choose something near the conference?? I'm not familiar with the area at all, so if anyone has any ideas or input, please share.

Next up. Are folks interested in another dinner, possibly later in the week; maybe one of the free nights, say Monday, Wednesday (unless you'll be dancing) or Friday th 4th. I was thinking something a little more upscale, maybe tps_fan or athena might have some good seafood recommendations.

Anyone...? anyone?

Next up. Are folks interested in another dinner, possibly later in the week; maybe one of the free nights, say Monday, Wednesday (unless you'll be dancing) or Friday th 4th. I was thinking something a little more upscale, maybe tps_fan or athena might have some good seafood recommendations.

Anyone...? anyone?

Put us down for that too, Kendall :)

I'm not associated with the OCON conference, I just wanted to offer some additional information. I wanted to address two different but overlapping groups of people:

If you are planning on attending the dinner(s) which K-Mac has been talking about, then _please_ make sure that you get back to her or Athena ASAP. Please give notice of what your dinner preferences are and how much time you have available. The sooner that Kelly can collect this info, the smoother the planning will go.

For any OCON attendee:

Understand that the conference is being held in the Fashion Island area of Newport Beach, and that means that the conference hotel is on the perimeter of the "island" which is essentially a retail area wrapped around by the elliptical section of Newport Center Drive.

AFAIK, I'm apparently the only local Newporter attending K-Mac's dinner. In light of that, I think it would be good if those attending any part of OCON and/or Kelly's dinner would ask any questions they have about the area _here in this thread today or ASAP_. I will be leaving for the Philadelphia, PA area for the weekend, so I'll provide whatever info I can today or next week. If other locals are reading this, then please feel free to post here or just drop into the chat room and offer similar information if OCON is a topic that comes up.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/newport+cente...wport+beach+ca/

Mamma Gina's is roughly about a 15 minute drive from Fashion Island. (I personally think that they have some of the best Italian food in the entire South County area.) Another area restaurant with excellent food, service, and occasional live music(!) is the Irish-themed Muldoons. see: http://www.muldoonspub.com/ They are only minutes away from the conference hotel as they are also on the Newport Center Drive loop. NEWSFLASH: I just found out that the local Irish group THE FENIANS is playing at the restaurant on Sun. July 6th at 2pm. FENIANS is easily one of greatest local music groups that Orange County is fortunate enough to have!!! I think that this event would be one heck of a way to help close the OCON '08 conference.

http://objectivistconferences.com/ocon2008/schedule.pdf

For the dinner on Sunday, June 29th, let's plan to meet at Mamma Gina's at 6pm. ( http://www.mammaginas.com/) I will call the restaurant tomorrow and see if I can reserve the patio for our group. I'll put the reservation under OCON, so ask for that when you get there. There are at least 15 of us so far, so should be fun and the patio overlooks the water. (Pics on the website.) Anyway, if anyone needs a ride or has questions, feel free to PM me. We will be leaving on Friday, so I won't have access to the internet after that. If you have any other suggestions or anything, let me know. I'm open to anything. I look forward to meeting you all soon! :dough:

Kelly, is there room for two more?

My wife and I have made flight reservations to join you for the Sunday night dinner! We can only be there for Sunday afternoon/night. We would prefer to spend our very limited time there visiting our friends through OO.Net and NTOS rather than attending the State of ARI lecture.

Yes! There's plenty of room and I had already counted you two in as "maybes." Some of us are going to the ARI Presentation at 8:00 and others, I think, are going out elsewhere after dinner. Santiago and I want to see the ARI Presentation because we've heard good things about it and we hear that some new information will be presented. We will probably catch up with everyone again once it's over at 9:30. I figure we'll all discuss what we want to do at dinner and make plans accordingly. I'm glad you two are coming. :lol:

Kelly, is there room for two more?

My wife and I have made flight reservations to join you for the Sunday night dinner! We can only be there for Sunday afternoon/night. We would prefer to spend our very limited time there visiting our friends through OO.Net and NTOS rather than attending the State of ARI lecture.

Suh-weeet!!! Look forward to it!

Athena and I got into Newport Beach a few hours ago. If anyone got here early like we did (and want to get dinner or hang out), PM one of us your cell phone number. If you aren't here yet, well, we look forward to meeting you on Saturday and Sunday :)

Friends, I regret that Mr. & Mrs. Old Toad won't be able to meet you for dinner tonight. Of all things, thunderstorms in the DFW area disrupted flights yesterday evening, which disruptions were still working through the airline system today, and we got caught up in it. Long, boring story. :)

I asked K-Mac, Sanjavalan, and John to give our regards and regrets to everyone at dinner tonight!

Todd,

So sorry we missed you at dinner. It was a great time, except for the vacuum of your absence. The sun was shining; the food was excellent, and the conversation and wine flowed well into the night. Sanjavelen has figured out how to parallel park his truck. Kelly's credit card got blocked, and nobody ask what Athena is packing in her trunk, thanks to Sanj. :)

I second Kendall's sentiments; we all seemed to have a fabbo time last night. (By the way, I have reason to suspect that Mamma Gina's might have gone under new management, but they did a very fine job preparing and serving dinner for about a dozen people at any rate.) Todd, I would strongly urge that you and your gal try to pass through the hotel's pool patio area some night ASAP because you might very well run into a few chatroom regulars there outside of the classes.

Though I don't think that anyone has made serious plans yet for a follow-up dinner, I have to say that given last night, I would love it if we could meet for at least another dinner. I believe that Kendall suggested trying to schedule a seafood dinner... maybe on the following weekend? I do know of a place in Irvine that has awesome "surf and turf"; it is a little pricier, but I expect that the food would be even a bit better than what we had last night.

If enough people are interested, then maybe we should get started making arrangements. From past conferences, I know that it's very easy to get caught up in the classes and related events, so I'd like to get to planning ASAP. (I can't do much of anything OCON-related tonight because I have my first Statistics exam tomorrow, so I gotta go study.) If those interested want to follow-up with me, then please contact me on Facebook or PM me here and let me know what you think.