Objectivism Online Forum

Here Be Dragons

Rate this topic

KevinDW78

That was a really insightful movie. I particularly liked his discussion of correlation vs causation and appeals to political views to trump science. I wonder how much the speaker applies those principles consistently, though, to things like global warming. Thanks for posting it :)

That was a really insightful movie. I particularly liked his discussion of correlation vs causation and appeals to political views to trump science. I wonder how much the speaker applies those principles consistently, though, to things like global warming. Thanks for posting it :)

The speaker(Brian Dunning) is quite consistent in his application of his principles. You can hear him speak about global warming and many other topics at www.skeptoid.com. All podcasts are also transcribed for those with low-bandwidth connections. I would especially recommend his recent podcast on the 'evils' of fast food, and the myths that Super-Size Me has helped propagate.

I should add that while he gave lots of great thinking tools, the real bulwark against baloney is Objectivist epistemology. Context, hierarchy, and making sure things are logically tied to reality are the means to banging out contradictions in thought and keeping yourself on a sold path. By doing this, you're putting more and more pieces of the puzzle together, that is, you're integrating and thus reinforcing your knowledge.

I just came across this great film called Here Be Dragons: Introduction to Critical Thinking. It's free to watch or download. It's an examination of logic and rationality when faced with nonsense like psychics and pseudoscience

http://herebedragonsmovie.com/

What is green, hangs on a wall and whistles?

Answer: A Red Herring.

What! How can a Red Herring be green? So paint it green.

What! How can a fish hang on a wall? So nail it to the wall.

What! How can a dead fish whistle? Big deal! So it doesn't whistle.

ruveyn

Edited by ruveyn ben yosef

I believe I've found the biggest piesce of baloney: "the Secret"

I haven't read it, but I flipped through it in the bookstore. It is identical in its message to the series of books called "Conversations With God" which are even bigger than The Secret and touted by the same people like Oprah. I have to admit before I started embracing Objectivism I was fully enveloped in that kind of nonsense, but still in an agnostic sense. I did feel very strongly that your own mind is the most powerful thing in existence and through it you can literally shape your physical life and control the happenings of "fate" that happen to us. i.e. there is a reason I have never been seriously ill, broken a bone, or ever been to a hospital in my life - because I don't choose to be. That sort of thing. I guess I still believe that to some degree, but I've stopped thinking about it.

well I only began watching the movie but had to get to some charts and paperwork. What I meant was that this movie (or book) might be particularly evil because it is true that the human mind is the most powerful, or most extropic, thing in the universe. But they make it seem as it is also omnipotent. They imply over and over and over again that all effects need only a mental whimsical cause. It was mind-boggling so I posted it here in contrast to Here be Dragons.

If it was 100% baloney, like the virgin birth and the zombie rising, it would be easier to dismiss it.

I downloaded the gigabyte version and thoroughly enjoyed it. Later on I plan on re watching to drill in the points some more. The only thing I can say that I seriously disliked about this movie was the absence of closed captioning. Perhaps in the future I will donate.

I seriously disliked about this movie was the absence of closed captioning

Did you try downloading the DVD iso image file? That might have CC.

(I am downloading the iso right now to burn my own DVD. When I am done, I'll let you know if it has CC on it)

Edited by KevinDW78

Did you try downloading the DVD iso image file? That might have CC.

(I am downloading the iso right now to burn my own DVD. When I am done, I'll let you know if it has CC on it)

I would appreciate that. I am technologically ignorant as to what to do with an iso file or what program to play it with.

I am technologically ignorant as to what to do with an iso file

an iso file is an "image" (a snapshot of data, as it were) of the data contained on a CD/DVD - almost like a .zip file of everything contained on the disc. There is a free program called ImgBurn (google it) which will burn DVDs from iso files.

(I downloaded the img file but I've been too busy to burn it yet. I'll try to remember to get to it today.)

Edited by KevinDW78

Sorry, I just burned the iso version and while it does have a pretty main menu for selecting normal or widescreen, there is no CC that I can tell.

Oh well. Thank you for trying. Man, I can't wait for the technology to come into existence that will be able to effectively Open-Caption any prerecorded video.

• 1 month later...

Good news! There is now an extra file you can download that will insert subtitles: http://herebedragonsmovie.com/download.php (At the bottom of the page)

For those who do not know what to do with this file: Merely make sure it is the same name as the corresponding movie file (ignoring the file extension), and is in the same file directory. If you have the VLC player, then the rest is automatic when you execute the file.

[Reason for edit: Clarification]

Edited by Benpercent