Objectivism Online Forum

Francisco Marroquin University

Rate this topic

I read a great article in the LA Times, and wanted to share. Now, if only Francisco also owned a copper mine . . . :)

For nearly 40 years, this private college has been a citadel of laissez-faire economics.

Every undergraduate, regardless of major, must study market economics and the philosophy of individual rights embraced by the U.S. founding fathers, including "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

A sculpture commemorating Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" is affixed to the school of business. Students celebrated the novel's 50th anniversary last year with an essay contest. The $200 cash prize reinforced the book's message that society should reward capitalist go-getters who create wealth and jobs, not punish them with taxes and regulations.

[Francisco attended] the University of Toronto, where he studied chemical engineering.

He dropped out after reading Rand's "Fountainhead." The novel's protagonist, Howard Roark, is expelled from architecture school after refusing to conform to its tired standards.

"I realized when I read Rand . . . that I was starting out my life all wrong," Ayau said. He said he concluded that "I have to study something that I like, otherwise I'll never be any good."

There are no sports teams and no affirmative action in hiring or admissions. Instructors can forget about tenure; there is none. Ditto for the protests and sit-ins that are common in public universities in Latin America. If Francisco Marroquin students are unhappy with the product they're getting, they're free to take their business elsewhere.

Link to the article: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-guat...5004,full.story

From YaronBrook.com ...

October 11, 2007 - Universidad Francisco MarroquĂ­n, Guatemala City, Guatemala

Two lectures presented in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the publication of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged: "Atlas Shrugged: Its Influence After Fifty Years," [Watch On-line] and "Ayn Rand: Radical for Capitalism." [Watch On-line] Additionally, Yaron Brook was interviewed by Luis Figueroa, Director of UFM Public Relations and professor of Social Philosophy. Capitalism was the subject of the interview. [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIoP7V6U-aQ] (This interview is also available in media-player format at UFM's Media Center's Web site.)

Yep, it's quiet a weird college. I have some contacts with the Hayek Foundation, Argentina, that edits a magazine with UFM. The texts are alright but make no mistake they are basically catholic conservatives.

IT's a little funny spaking Spanish as a mother tongue and listening to these guys "agreeing" with Yaron Brook, but well... I prefer it that it exists. And its architecture school is ACTUALLY good.

I'm disappointed to hear it's a Libertarian oriented college. Without a fully fleshed out philosophical grounding, the results could just very well be temporary. But I agree with the above, that it is preferable that it exists.

I'm disappointed to hear it's a Libertarian oriented college. Without a fully fleshed out philosophical grounding, the results could just very well be temporary. But I agree with the above, that it is preferable that it exists.

HA! sorry for being sardonic, but! HA! This is Guatemala buddy, it certainly does have a fully fleshed out philosophical grounding: Roman Catholicism.

They are pro laissez faire in the same way that American Conservatives are pro-capitalists. It's certainly a good thing this University exists, but one owes reallity the task to put things in context.

Edited by volco

I have to rectify what I wrote yesterday. It is certainly fantastic that UFM exists and is genuinelly committed to at least a truly free market society.

Every college here is either utterly catholic, marxist or, more often, an agonizing mixture of the both. I have to give credit where credit is due. Go Universidad Francisco MarroquĂ­n! and the Ibn Khaldun Center!

• 5 months later...