Objectivism Online Forum

The Incredible Hulk

Rate this topic

Not as good as Iron Man(If Iron Man was a 10, Hulk would like a 9), but still well worth the money and time, and lightyears better then the other Hulk movie they made. An interesting thing I noticed is there wasn't really altruistic speeches or anything. No one ever says "You have to stop thinking about yourself!" or anything like that. The Hulk never intiates force either, besides the first time he was created, but it was more of an accident. Most of his violent streets are in self-defense or accidents (it's hard not to break things when you are a green giant). Overall, all the actors were great, Ed Norton potrayed Banner really well, Tim Roth really steals the show, Doc Samson and The Leader make cameos and does.... TONY STARK! (As Robert Downey Jr of course).

Overall, it was a good movie and I recommend it.

I really liked the film as well. I place it above Iron Man though, due to the actions of Banner being completely selfish, with no lines of altruism to wince at the entire film. I had few criticisms of The Incredible Hulk, which involve very minor details about the plot, but I had a great many for Iron Man.

This is a good movie. It is well worth spending a few moments considering why it works. The script was key here, I think. This reviewer points out that Bruce Banner and The Hulk are trapped in an actual mind-body dichotomy. This puts the Hulk into the company of other literary creations such as Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, werewolf stories, and Herakles driven mad by Hera.

I enjoyed the homage to the tv show. Bill Bixby appears in a snippet of "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" and Lou Ferrigno has a cameo as a security guard. The first third of the movie plays like an episode of the tv show with our hunted hero living a lonely life as an anoymous blue collar shift worker, and continuing his bleeding edge scientific work on his own time.

The Hulk is the center of a web of conflict. Banner has an inner conflict repressing his passions in order to prevent transforming into the Hulk. Banner has an external conflict in his quest to cure himself through scientific research. Hulk has a running conflict with Tim Roth who's desire to defeat the Hulk starts as a point of professional pride then degenerates into an irrational personal obsession. Banner and Hulk are united in their conflict with Gen. Ross and the Army which wants to capture them in order to weaponize the Hulk tranformation in a 'super soldier' program.

Hulk is triumphant in every single one of these conflicts. Even Banner moves toward accommodating (integrating?) the Hulk, and not curing himself. Because the movie successfully sets up all these conflicts, the final battle is significant beyond the mere action by resolving these several lines of conflict.

The acting is good but uneven in spots. William Hurt as Gen. Ross is a steroetypical controlling authority figure, there just isn't much to for him to do here. Liv Tyler as Dr. Elizabeth Ross is a good romantic interest but fails to be a credible PhD researcher even when wearing her "ugly scientist's glasses". The scientist Dr. Samual Sterns (a.k.a. Mr. Blue) is bizarrely offputting; presumably this portrayal of a amoral scientist was intentional but it put me out of the flow of the story and reminded me that I was watching an actor. Edward Norton as Bruce Banner does a great job making the process of emotional repression both visible on the screen and sympathethic, by not being a stoic.

"The scientist Dr. Samual Sterns (a.k.a. Mr. Blue) is bizarrely offputting; presumably this portrayal of a amoral scientist was intentional but it put me out of the flow of the story and reminded me that I was watching an actor."

I completely agree. This was a weird part of the movie and broke the rythm. Wasn't sure if he was suppossed to be funny, amoral, "crazy" or what.

Stan Lee makes an appearence too! He drank the infected milk.

My understanding is that Samuel L Jackson's character from Iron Man is putting together the Avengers with Iron Man and Hulk. That was the point of the Hulk's very last scene.

"The scientist Dr. Samual Sterns (a.k.a. Mr. Blue) is bizarrely offputting; presumably this portrayal of a amoral scientist was intentional but it put me out of the flow of the story and reminded me that I was watching an actor."

I completely agree. This was a weird part of the movie and broke the rythm. Wasn't sure if he was suppossed to be funny, amoral, "crazy" or what.

Samuel Sterns is the supervillian known as The Leader. This is probably setup for a future movie with Sterns as the villian.

Did you guys notice the super-soilder serum they gave to Blonsky? It was a watered down version of *THE* Super-Soilder-Serum, the one Captain America got. So imagine that, times 100 and put into a good guy and thats what Cap is going to be like. The sort of mentioned Cap when they were talking about the Super Soilder project starting in WWII.

Edited by JMeganSnow
Code works better if you actually look at it first.

I quite liked this incarnation of the Hulk as well. I noticed that in the previous film, he was much bigger, much stronger, and seemingly much more impervious (in this film he recieved lacerations from the crashing helicoptor)

Anyway, one think I didn't like was Bruch trying to stop the program and over all research which brought about the Hulk because the general wanted to "use it as a weapon" I was like, so? Would you prefer the Soviet Union or North Korea develop a Hulk?

And why in the world did the Liv Tyler charachter yell at the Hulk to stop chocking the other Hulk thing?

Anyway, one think I didn't like was Bruch trying to stop the program and over all research which brought about the Hulk because the general wanted to "use it as a weapon" I was like, so? Would you prefer the Soviet Union or North Korea develop a Hulk?

Or that no one gets it. Just because you don't have a weapon, your enemy will. Banner is in the position to make sure NO ONE will get what he has. Plus, he probably sees it as too dangerous to even use. Like what the Abomination has.

And why in the world did the Liv Tyler charachter yell at the Hulk to stop chocking the other Hulk thing?

Because they don't want Hulk to turn into a killing machine. He defeated Abomination and the military could take care of it from there, the law can administer justice I guess.

Or that no one gets it. Just because you don't have a weapon, your enemy will. Banner is in the position to make sure NO ONE will get what he has. Plus, he probably sees it as too dangerous to even use. Like what the Abomination has.

Really, no one EVER, will EVER make a similiar kind of technology? A nuclear bomb is easily more important and powerful and destructive than the Hulk is. We all ready have those. I don't see why a couple of Hulks which are friendly to the US would be a bad thing, as long as they are rational. Never mind, as the other doctor pointed out, it could probably cure all disease and ailments that people get.