Objectivism Online Forum

Personality test

Rate this topic

If I were to give a full reply to your claims (Athena, Matus, and Bretz), it would have been far more insulting than anything I have wrote so far could have been for you. I am not going to go against forum rules, and therefore I am not going to reply altogether, since I can't speak my mind fully.

I highly doubt anything you would say I would find insulting. I would first need to respect your qualitative assessment of me, you've given me no reason nor evidence to suggest I should. Your behavior in this thread, including your predilection to overly simplistic psychologizing, such as

As far as I am concerned, it is simply the truth about what I see in their claims and requests. It just so happens that that truth conveys an unpretty image.

and

I think people indulge in showing their personalities to other people. They have a social need of psychological visibility of that kind. Only, they are not very proud of that, so they rather not face or admit that fact. Instead, it would make it much easier for them to indulge in "personality showing off"

...in fact gives me evidence not to. The only character which you are presenting evidence to other to make a qualitative assessment of is your own from your behavior in this thread.

Your comments seem to suggest that your personality profile was merely an effort to figure out who felt compelled to showboat their personalities under thinly veiled excuses, which ultimately was just an effort for you to identify who here was "evading one's own inner state" The fact that few people had any interest in replying showed that this tendency of personality showboating you are so quick to assume is not very common. And so what of themadkat, who responded even without the thinly vieled "hey lets all get to know each other a little better" Has Ifat cleverly revealed to themadkat their own deep psychological evasions? Or perhaps individuals have different complex motivations for things and are not so easily summed up in 30 seconds of pyschologizing.

It could very well be that someone (hypothetical) was looking for some interesting discussion other than the value that can be had just by visibility

It 'could be' that's pretty much exactly what everyone has been either saying or implying. I personally said

"Clearly some people might find a little bit of pleasure in filling this out, and sharing their interests with other people with similar values... but to some this alone might not make it worthwhile enough to fill out. But if they are helping a 'forum friend' derive some useful information which would positively contribute to the world which they also live in, or even, assist someone in doing something positive and productive for it's own sake.."

Athena expressed the same sentiment "You are offering us something without giving us the information that we need to consider it's value to us"

You acknowledge exactly this "It is one thing when someone is asking for another value to be had by filling it out (like a discussion) since they don't see enough value in filling it out and posting by itself" And yet you essentially respond with "Well, I don't owe any one of you a purpose" Of course not, but the clear implication is that filling this out for it's own sake is not valuable enough for many people to do it, if they shared a common goal with you, or found value in assisting you in doing something productive (like attempting to formulate a much more objective and useful personality test, which is what I thought) they might then find it valuable enough (in combination with the introspection and sharing with other members) to fill out the survey. You act like we're living a 2nd handed life to you merely because you giving us your reason for this survey is what put people over the tipping point of finding it valuable enough to fill out.

I invested a good amount of my time composing it, too

Why would we care about that? You won't tell us why you wrote it, or what you might use the information for, but you'll tell us 'it took you a long time' (I have no doubt it did, as far as personality surveys go, it's an excellent one) but why would we care?

• 2 months later...

OK, time to close this business. Sorry for the late reply.

I am really stunned at the level of combativeness you seem to have regarding this issue. First of all I'd ask you to consider that you may be psychologizing some people's responses, or not realizing that your terseness in your original reply may have been part of the cause of such responses.

2nd, the thread you seem to be comparing this one to has significant differences from this one, not to mention the fact that in that thread you specifically expressed disdain for personality tests in general as in this quote here: (...)

I have nothing against personality tests. What I disliked was people's reactions to it (on the other, popular personality-test thread).

Basically, my impression from most people who post on OO.net forums is not good; I come here seeking some serious thinking and in most cases it's not what I see. There are a few I like, a few that make sense to me and whose way of thinking I enjoy, and they are the reason I post and read OO.net, along with people I don't yet know but may like.

So because of this overall impression, I am more inclined to interpret something I read here in a negative way than in a positive one.

If I was mistaken and insulted someone unjustly I am sorry for that.

After getting more opinions from other people I think most people really did not want to spend time on this unless I could offer an additional reason. I still think some people did not post because they felt it was "unsafe" in a way, even though they wanted to (and not because they were lacking motivation). It makes sense to me based on other things I read. Anywho, doesn't matter really.

That fact alone actually makes me concerned as to your purpose and use of the information I provide you. And the fact that you specifically won't divulge it has the effect of possibly looking as though you're hiding some motive.

Alright, I would gladly clarify my motive now. My motive was to create a filter. For me the questions I composed reveal essential things about a person's personality. It allows me to sit at home and think "hey, this guy is swell, what great answers!" and also to humor myself at some dumbbutts who have, in my opinion, pathetic answers. I can even discuss it with my friends and enjoy the process of psychological analysis.

Your comments seem to suggest that your personality profile was merely an effort to figure out who felt compelled to showboat their personalities under thinly veiled excuses, which ultimately was just an effort for you to identify who here was "evading one's own inner state" The fact that few people had any interest in replying showed that this tendency of personality showboating you are so quick to assume is not very common.

Judging by replies in the other personality test I disagree. It is because of my impression from the other thread that I interpreted posts here in a negative way.

And so what of themadkat, who responded even without the thinly vieled "hey lets all get to know each other a little better" Has Ifat cleverly revealed to themadkat their own deep psychological evasions?

No, because there weren't any. She had great answers.

Or perhaps individuals have different complex motivations for things and are not so easily summed up in 30 seconds of pyschologizing.

It depends. Sometimes less than 30 seconds are enough.

As for the rest of what you said, I already replied to that (in this post). Like I said I do think that most people did not see enough value in posting, while others felt it "unsafe" but had motivation, and I was initially wrong in my understanding of this.

Alright, that closes it for me.