Objectivism Online Forum

Romantic Movie List

Rate this topic

I'll add one that I saw recently and blew me away. It's Before Sunrise starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy as an American tourist in Europe who meets a young French college girl on a train. There is no plot. The entire movie consists of the two characters walking and talking through the streets of Vienna before they go their seperate ways the next morning. It's charming, insightful, realisticaly stylized, and incredibly romantic -- if you consider the meeting of two minds a romantic event.

A word of caution. There is a sequel to the movie called Before Sunset that was released nine years the original movie. If you like Sunrise, don't bother renting Sunset unless you'd like to have two characters you've probably become very fond of get ruined for you by the way they're presented in the sequel.

Here's two movies that I really enjoyed:

1. August Rush - Jonathan Rhys Myers (Tudors) - It has a naturalistic theme, that if fate is on your side then never give up hope because everything will turn out right in the end. However, the character are romantic, there is plot, and the idea that man can be happy and that people's value choices have consequences, makes this movie romantic. Besides this, the way they integrate sound and music into this film, it is unusual, very eloquent, and out of the ordinary, so that it seems to have a romantic style. And besides this, it is very economical in its use of its scenes.

2. Vitus - a foreign film - a man's value choices governs the story line, the main character is extraordinary, and the benevolent and man can achieve happiness aspect as a metaphysical outlook is there. It is a story about a giant.

Never one to pass up a chance to plug my favorite movie, I should like to mention Gattaca, which is extremely romantic, even though romance is not the main theme.

~Q

i assume you mean "romantic" in the sense of "romance" not "Romantic (with a capital R)"

Amelie, His Girl Friday, Funny Face, and My Fair Lady... not only are they romantic, but they are Romantic, heart-warming, laugh-out-loud fun and generally enjoyable.

I also consider the Illusionist to be romantic, and on top of that, it is literally the most Romantic Realist film i've ever seen.

P.S I love you

Man facing death planned ahead the means by which he could help the love of his life get over her own grief (after his death), find herself, and move on. Very touching.

And very interesting... It's an adaptation of a novel by Cecelia Ahern with the selfsame title. Sophia, have you read it? I'm thinking of reading the novel first and then perhaps watching it.

And very interesting... It's an adaptation of a novel by Cecelia Ahern with the selfsame title. Sophia, have you read it? I'm thinking of reading the novel first and then perhaps watching it.

I have not read the novel but my wife did and was nuts about it. We did both see the movie together when it came out in theatres. According to her, the book is much better and is worth the read.

My Fair Lady...

Aww, how could I have left that one off my short list? "C'mon, Dover...c'mon, Dover...c'mon, Dover, move your bloomin' arse!" B)

• 1 month later...

I compiled a list of the movies recommended above, and added one new one. My wife and I have watched 11 of these, and not one has been disappointing. So, thank you all for the recommendations, and keep them coming.

Amelie

August Rush

Before Sunrise

Chocolat

Dae Jang Geum

Dangerous Beauty

Funny Face

Gattaca

Groundhog Day

His Girl Friday

Hitch

My Fair Lady

P.S I love you

Partition

Painted Veil

Pride and Prejudice and (the TV version)

Sabrina and (the 1954 version)

The Notebook

Under the Tuscan Sun

Vitus

The movie I added is called "Partition". It is based in 1947, when India and Pakistan were split in two and there was a lot of genocide-like killing on either side. It is a love story, but far from light-hearted; so, be warned.

You could try Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain.

Be warned that this isn't a conventional film. It uses narrative structure and and symbolic imagery in ways you're not accustomed to seeing on screen. It's garnered very much a love/hate reaction. Some call it one of the best films in decades -- others the worst. I fall squarely in the former. I personally think that Aronofsky is the first director in a new type of filmmaking, a modern pioneer, and the best filmmaker working today.

If you go in with an open mind, you'll enjoy a very beautiful love story, innovatively told. It requires full focus when watching it, but it'll reward the effort. I highly recommend.

I compiled a list of the movies recommended above, and added one new one. My wife and I have watched 11 of these, and not one has been disappointing. So, thank you all for the recommendations, and keep them coming.

Amelie

August Rush

Before Sunrise

Chocolat

Dae Jang Geum

Dangerous Beauty

Funny Face

Gattaca

Groundhog Day

His Girl Friday

Hitch

My Fair Lady

P.S I love you

Partition

Painted Veil

Pride and Prejudice and (the TV version)

Sabrina and (the 1954 version)

The Notebook

Under the Tuscan Sun

Vitus

Dae Jang Geum is romantic in both senses, small "r" and big "R." But, it is unavailable to rent, and expensive to buy - roughly $200 for all three box sets that comprise the 54 episodes of the story. However, it can be watched for free, in the original Korean with English subtitles, on an Asian tv website, here.

It was also discussed in the Favorite TV Show thread on this page.

It is worth the effort to see.

According to her, the book is much better and is worth the read.

That books idea with the envelops being opened the way that they were, I thought had the potential to be a very interesting book, but it in fact did not at all give me what I thought I'd get from it - my eyes first looked, walked, ran, skimmed, skipped, then took off...from its lines. The movie is now out of the question for me. I'll pass.

I'd put Jane Eyre on the list having just watched it a few weeks ago. I don't really watch many movies. About four or five a year, if that. Next one I'm going to watch is Romeo and Juliet after I read it first. It interests me because, I remember reading that it's like the plot from Ovid's Pyramus and Thisbe (from his Metamorphoses), a story of which I liked. Not sure if it was actually written along those plot lines or not though.

[edit: I also want to at least mention two Kate Winslet were in that I enjoyed: Titanic, and Sense and Sensibility)

Edited by intellectualammo