Objectivism Online Forum

Everything seemingly is spinning out of control

Rate this topic

Seeker

No, this is not from The Onion. This is being reported by that paragon of objective journalism known as The Associated Press.

WASHINGTON - Is everything spinning out of control?

Midwestern levees are bursting. Polar bears are adrift. Gas prices are skyrocketing. Home values are abysmal. Air fares, college tuition and health care border on unaffordable. Wars without end rage in Iraq, Afghanistan and against terrorism.

Horatio Alger, twist in your grave.

The can-do, bootstrap approach embedded in the American psyche is under assault. Eroding it is a dour powerlessness that is chipping away at the country's sturdy conviction that destiny can be commanded with sheer courage and perseverance.

The can-do, bootstrap approach embedded in the American psyche is under assault. Eroding it is a dour powerlessness that is chipping away at the country's sturdy conviction that destiny can be commanded with sheer courage and perseverance.

It seems the AP's come down with a severe case of Carter Syndrome, you know: "National Malaise™" And it wants to make it contagious.

No, this is not from The Onion. This is being reported by that paragon of objective journalism known as The Associated Press.

Oh gracious! Shit has been happening since God invented dirt. One of the crowning glories of humans is that they can cope with, overcome and even grow better when dealing with emergencies. Our race, homo sapien is a champion survivor and even a winner. From chipping flints to building tall buildings and riding ships to the moon, the best of our kind overcomes difficulties. That is the story of our race; encountering natural difficulties, overcoming them, and turning them into victories. We struggle, we labor, we overcome and some of us triumph. We are the sons and daughters of survivor kings and some of us are kings in our own right.

I am reminded of a line in the movie -Apollo 13-. When the flight manager, Gene Kranz, is told that the entire mishap is a failure of NASA, he responds by saying it will turn out to be one of the great success stories of NASA. It surely did. There is a good line from the movie -Starman-. The Visitor tells Mark Shermin from SETTI the following: Do you know what I find beautiful about your species? You are are you very best when things are at their very worst.

Pooh on A.P., I say.

ruveyn

Edited by ruveyn ben yosef

Oh gracious! Shit has been happening since God invented dirt.
But it's all just become overwhelming!
One of the crowning glories of humans is that they can cope with, overcome and even grow better when dealing with emergencies.
Only by subverting and destroying the glorious natural bounty provided by god/the earth
Our race, homo sapien is a champion survivor
Killer, destroyer
and even a winner.
No one wins when the planet is wounded.
From chipping flints to building tall buildings
Hubris and capitalist excesses
and riding ships to the moon,
It never happened, the sea of Tranquility was a sound stage in Hollywood
the best of our kind overcomes difficulties.
by subjugating others
That is the story of our race; encountering natural difficulties, overcoming them, and turning them into victories.
But at what cost. We loose our souls, the natural order of things and foolishly mangle our planet until we "win"
We struggle, we labor, we overcome and some of us triumph.
Egocentric elitists making the rest of us pay for not being as smart, as driven or as good as they are.
We are the sons and daughters of survivor kings and some of us are kings in our own right.
But we should all be the same, like the humble indigenous peoples in touch with nature with every man dependent on every other man for his very survival. When we all own the means of production, when we are all the same, live the same, think the same, then we will never have to be bothered with this mindless advancement and progress for progress' sake.

We've had a few clients call in with their doomsday nonsense. We're running out of oil, the market is crashing, the dollar is wrecked, AHHHHHHHH! I just want to smack them and yell, "Calm down! Get a hold of yourself!" Every stupid generation thinks the end of the world is coming and we're all destined to die. Jeez! It's amazing how man keeps finding ways to survive even better than he did before. :D

Actually, with postmodernism there is a proactive philosophy out there that encourages all of this stuff. Mankind is simply bad and must be eliminated or dealt with in some way. The AP should look in the mirror, since they are pomo pushers.

Zip, nice presentation of the postmodernist viewpoint. You nailed it. They have a destructive answer for everything. The one thing they don't have is reality and logic on their side.

Every time I hear some one give me crap about another apocalypse, I utter two simple letters and a number to them: Y2K

Y2K at least had a realistic chance of causing problems. To be sure the matter was terribly overblown, but the truth is most of the problems manifested themselves, and were therefore corrected, by the mid 90s. For example, banks started getting errors for cards that expired in 1900 by 1996.

What no one ever explained was why a Trident or Minuteman missile would suddenly launch itself because it couldn't tell what year it was.

Before Y2K there was the Total Eclipse of 91. Before that Halley's Comet. Before that the "Jupiter Effect" caused by a planetary alignment. Before that I'm sure there was something else.

And we're always about to run out of oil, too. I recall predictions in the 70s that oil would run out by 1995 at the very latest. In the 80s they were saying by 2005. In the 90s they hyped Y2K instead. We're also always at the brink of planetary disaster, too. In the 70s it was Global Cooling, then it was Global Warming, now it's Generic Climate Change™.

What's up with all the AP hate?

I think we are heading for stormier waters for sure, but something entirely different. I think we are on the verge of some castrophic world.... change...

Why?