Objectivism Online Forum

George Carlin Dead at 71

Rate this topic

TheEgoist

I know I may get an avalanche of crap for celebrating him since he was such a staunch advocate of anti-capitalism the past 7 or 8 years especially, but George Carlin was one of my heroes. He was an advocate for free speech, and he made no exceptions to the term like other liberals. He was a revolutionary voice in freedom of expression in the 70s, and he made everyone laugh all the while. Everytime I watch Carlin On Campus I laugh my ass off.

When I heard the news this morning, I won't lie that I cried. This is one of the first famous people to die that really meant something to me personally. He's a comedic icon, and a personal icon of mine. If I can achieve the success he had simply by expressing myself, I'll be a happy man, and I'm sure George would fight for my ability to speak too.

RIP, George Carlin.

"Have a good day. Don't you hate it when people say that? It puts all the pressure on you. Now you have to go out and figure out how to somehow have a good day! And maybe I don't want to have a good day. Maybe I had 52 good days in a row and I want a bad day."

He was very funny. I'll miss him as well.

George Carlin was great! As a comedian, I thought he was absolutely hilarious. As a thinker, he was wonderfully pro-drug and anti-religion. Even better, he was pro-truth and anti-bullshit. :lol: Carlin was vivacious, dynamic, and heroic -- clearly one of the good guys.

Last year I discovered just how funny Carlin's stand-up routine has been all these DECADES, which was only a few months after I had first read anything by Ayn Rand. I can see how some of Carlin's political sentiments were probably, uh, maybe Marxist? Like some of the stuff from Life is Worth Losing. But I still think he's right on many socio-political issues, and at the very least he was exceptionally funny and talented, which is very difficult to find at any point in history. R.I.P George

There was a lot wrong with his view of the world, I think he had a malevolent universe view that became stronger as he aged. But, he was great at skewering sacred cows and he was a very original and clever comedian.

Mad TV, poking fun at religion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niqVVENiY2c...feature=related

Poking fun at "Saving The Planet". Not a great view of life, but he gets some good shots in anyway. Notice how he loses the audience for a while, but gains them back in the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw

This is completely non-political, but very funny.

Baseball versus Football:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YphEUa5LPjM...feature=related

This is a bit off his newest show. I didn't like the last one " Life Is Worth Losing ". I think it was just the rantings of a bitter old man. I think George's misanthropy is justified to a certain extent, but he blames it on the wrong things, namely: Capitalism.

But this is still classic. It's got a good mix of the pissed off old man and the classic Carlin wit with language

Carlin On Death:

This is a bit off his newest show. I didn't like the last one " Life Is Worth Losing ". I think it was just the rantings of a bitter old man. I think George's misanthropy is justified to a certain extent, but he blames it on the wrong things, namely: Capitalism.

But this is still classic. It's got a good mix of the pissed off old man and the classic Carlin wit with language

Carlin On Death:

I actually think the last one he did before that one was his worst routine ever. I only laughed once during that one. George Carlin was probably the funniest linguist ever to live. I find him funnier when he was younger and slightly less malevolent. While I will agree he was anti-capitalist I think that was less from Marxism and more from a dissatisfaction he felt with the country and the empty promise of the American Dream as a whole.

In the end he was a comedic genius. A funny man if a bitter one. We'll all miss him while he's gone.

I think I might give him an extra six months, how about you guys?

• 7 months later...

Last night I watched the show in which George Carlin was honored with the Mark Twain award at the Kennedy Center. http://www.courant.com/entertainment/tv/hc...0,4345379.story Among the clips of George Carlin was a routine in which he talked about a place for stuff:

He also talked about the ten commandments, reducing them to two, and then adding a third of his own invention. Be sure to watch that one to find out what commandment he added: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KJ5aRWtFXI

George Carlin was a brilliant, intelligent, insightful, very funny man.