Objectivism Online Forum

New Educational Initiative

Rate this topic

Charles

About to start degree in Neuroscience and it occurs to me that it would be thoroughly worthwhile recording each lecture - using for instance the Sony DVD camcorder, and then logging it onto a website of my own creation.

...A useful resource for anyone interested. Further potential lies in others taking this intiative with their course, whether it be the same course at a different university, or a different course at the same university. That way people can experience different institutions teaching on Neuroscience, preview the second year of the course and allow people in the process of applying to see what each University has to offer. There is also the latent opportunity in charging a fee/regulating users of these collected resources.

Any thoughts?

You might want to consult an attorney first, to see what the exact penalties would be for doing this. Or you could try to get permission from the instructor, to avoid that problem.

That way people can experience different institutions teaching on Neuroscience, preview the second year of the course and allow people in the process of applying to see what each University has to offer.

A legal way you could do this would be to write a critical summary of the course (something of your own creation); if it is good, people might be willing to pay for it.

I appreciate where your coming from on the legal side and will consider it first. Though ethically I dont think it tantamount to piracy considering the universities are all but nationalized anyhow in the UK.

The universities may be nationalized, but the professors are still individuals. They get paid for what they do. Asking the professor first is a wise advice from David.

I too plan to record lectures next year, but only for personal use. As much as I find books intriguing, the professors most of the time explain things by far better, especially if they consider them more difficult to understand. However, I will record audio only.